Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fencing off a site

• 26-01-2022 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the best place to ask

I want to fence off a site, I want it to be a long lasting job, I'm thinking concrete post and chain link fence,

Has anyone done it recently? How much did it cost? I have approx 300 metres to do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Would a good pigwire and barb wire fence not be a better solution if there are siteworks to be done? That is what we done. Or is this a site that is to be fenced off for a child in future?

If it is the latter, and the rest of the field is still being farmed you could fence it off, put a gate on it and use it as an isolation field or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

with it being the right time of year would you get some bare root trees in asap like hawthorn. Real long lasting job then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Plan Is to set a hedge as well, but I want to fence the site off to be child proof as well as long lasting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Never thought much of the chainlink type fences if there are large animals the other side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It's the only fence to put around a site, lasts a lifetime, it stops children dogs and sheep and you can put an electric fence on outriggers on it for cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

What i would is put up a normal sheepwire fence... i would then put either white-thorn or beech in zig-zag either side... you can also mix the plants. Then the animal wire will be there forever when hedge gets bigger.... get advise on cutting as i made an error... i think the secret is cut low at start but ask to confirm...

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I take it is a site for a house.

Concrete post and rail, two rows of whitethorn on the cattle side of the fence, 2 rows of soft hedging on your side. Whitethorn hedging is only for stock proofing, you don't want that on your side as the thorns do fair damage to skin and could blind someone You'd also need some form of temporary electric fence to keep the cattle back to let the hedge establish for a few years.

I wouldn't go with concrete post and rail on its own, cattle love scratching there necks along them and they break easily enough, hence the need for the hedge.

Any other form of fencing such as barbed wire or sheep fencing isn't really appropriate for a site. If funds are tight a cheaper option would be to mound an earth wall and plant a hedge on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Almost all sites around here are fenced with 32 inch sheep wire (8/80/15 or 8/80/22 )with a strand of plain on top .300m which is most likely a U shaped fence of 100 x 100 x 100 would be somewhere in the region of 2k supplied and erected inc. vat .Thats ballpark but shouldn't be far away .

Most sites are cash only so no vat etc as receipt is not needed .

Concrete posts and chain link will probably treble the cost if you go for plastic coated chainlink .Done a job last year to that spec with 4 strands plain on concrete posts with plastic coated chainlink .Will have a look and see if I can find what it worked out at .Would do very little of those as its usually dig them in or get a minidigger .Hydraulic auger on loader works if stones are scare as does the engine driven auger but no fun if stones or roots present .You will need lean mix or concrete to do the strainers and props as well .

• Advertisement
Advertisement