Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Job

Options
  • 25-01-2022 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

i was made redundant in before christmas in financial services. I've had a few interviews and got a job offer from a major financial institution through an agency on a 6 month contract. Remote working which suits me.

Here is the thing i find funny. I got an email today saying i will have to have to use my own laptop. I find it strange from GDPR and data privacy point of view.

has anyone else come across this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This is bizarre. Why would they not set you up on a company laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It could be acceptable if you are remotely logging on to a secure desktop at the work site. It would be dodgy if you were receiving email etc on your own laptop and this could make it subject to seizure if there was an investigation in to dodgy goings on at the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Highly dangerous, even logging on to a remote server wouldn't cut it - they are basically making you responsible if any data breach occurs as has happened

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭stayback

I don't know only got an email this evening telling me it'll be my own laptop. I am not very comfortable with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Unless it’s some kind of contract agency work where they don’t actually employ you directly?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Know of a reasonably large financial services company where their staff use their own laptops (they do contribute towards buying one) though....could be your new employer!

In their case you log in each day to the secure network using a few pieces of authentication. Whilst logged in you can't print or save anything locally,

The kit you use shouldn't make any difference re data breaches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Damien360

Are you logging in via Amazon services ? I connect to a customer system that is secure via my work laptop using AWS. Secure login, and they control all access to internal services. I wouldn’t think a 6 month contract would have a laptop included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Ya, they are more like likely using the likes of Amazon Apache guacamole or Amazon workspace which using your own laptop to remote login which would be completely fine as it's Impossible to take anything off the hosted device to your own

You wouldn't even need to worry about your own device capabilities or anything

I've used both in the past and find them great, workspace was much better though

• Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you required to provide any particular software or speed of laptop?

If it was me, I would be buying a cheap laptop and using it just for work.

Advertisement