Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peugeot 3008 PHEV problems

• 01-01-2022 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

Just wondering if any 3008 PHEV owners out there having any issues with their car. I have a 2021 GT and am having some forboding problems for an almost new car. Please send a reply if so, as we maybe be able to help each other. I have been doing some research and have found owners in some other countries with the same problems (with apparently no remedy available).

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Doesn't sound good for a new car, but surely if it's anything serious it would be covered under manufacturer warranty?

Are you able to tell us what issues you're having?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 medad

Yep covered under warranty atm.

It randomly won't use EV mode for a few days, then the check engine light stays on, sometimes one of the 'dash dials' warns there's a problem with the "traction system that needs repair" and another warning light stays on (a red Spanner). "Peugoet Assist" sent an AA man to check it out, his diagnostic says there's an 'unspecified fault' that he can't fix and needs Peugeot diagnostics. Bringing it back to the dealer and wouldn't you know it, it goes into EV mode and the warning lights go off, dealer says the rear aux. battery was low on charge and this caused the problem.

FYI there are two 'aux. batteries, one under the bonnet, normal battery you find in all cars. Then there is one in the boot, same size as a motorcycle battery.

Last week same thing happens plus an "engine fault that needs repair", so I check both aux. batteries, front one a shade under 13volts and rear a shade over 13 volts so I don't think that's the problem. Got talking to owners in the UK, Sweden, Portugal and Canada reporting similar issues, plus EV range 60/70% down on Peugeot's claims. They are getting the same speil from their dealers, some batteries replaced only for the same problem to reappear some months later. One chap in the UK had the car for nine months with the majority of that spent in his dealer (bones of six months I think he said) with no permanent fix (ended up giving the car back).

Peugeot don't seem to be acknowledging there is a problem and I'm being told that Peugoet UK for one are not being helpful to say the least. As you probably know 'check engine lights' etc are an automatic NCT fail, I know that's some time off but I don't want to get to the point where it will be weather dependant as to whether it passes the test or not being able to sell the car etc. I should say that the reason it won't go into EV mode, according to 'the car' is because of "ambient conditions" despite the fact the the temp. is in double figuers atm. God knows what's going to happen if we go sub zero.

Just wanted to add that when these warnings come the Sat. Nav. automatically defaults to a map of all the local Peugeot dealers (in other words, get your ass over there).

Bigger problem (for me anyway) is that this is my wife's car and she's afraid of it now and refuses to drive it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Is yours a Hybrid4 300 bhp or Hybrid2 225 bhp?

My Dad is being offered a generous trade in on his diesel 3008 for a phev 2wd 225 bhp.

Run away or take the offer?

Mines the 2WD Paddy. Just got mine back from the dealer. They said my problem was related to the small battery in the boot and they replaced it and did some software updates. Problem is that I checked the battery myself the day I brought it in and it was fine (second time back, blamed the battery last time as well so have been keeping an eye on it), fully charged with over 13v showing. Other owners abroad I was talking to got the same speil only for the issues to return. So I have to wait and see.

Other issue myself and other owners complain about is the electric range. Brochure blurb says 56 klms for this model (pinch of salt etc) but I was told by car reviewers it's usual for the range to be down 10 to 15% on promised figures. I got the car in March 2021 and was getting less than half (mid 20's). In fairness it went up to high 40's in the summer. It's back down to mid 20's again. Usual sh!t from Peugeot (dealers and Peugeot Irl/UK etc) is it depends on Temp. your driving style/conditons etc. I drive 99% of the time in suburban Dublin, I try to keep the "Eco meter" on the dash around the "Eco" symbol as much as I can. Plus we haven't exactly been lashed out of it this winter. Crap range even in the 9 to 12 degree temp. range. So a bit pi$$ed off about that.

Sorry Paddy long story short I had two deals on the table 3008 and Kia Niro, spent a bit extra and went with the Peugeot as I thought it was a better looking car both inside and out. If I was doing it again knowing what I know now I think I'd go with the Kia, that 7 year warranty is looking good from here. Peugeot's 2 year warranty is looking pretty scary atm.

• Advertisement

Hope I don't have to have the Solicitor on speed dial with this but sh!tting myself atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Did they actually change the battery or just tell you?

Possibly it could be that battery isn't properly recharging when the car is in use(or only charges under certain conditions).

I have a 191KIA Niro phev. Have had it towed to garage 3 times so far. Once was cos the aux battery was faulty (just outside 2 year warranty. They changed it for free in fairness)

What is the size of the main battery? Niros is about 9kw giving about 55km of range. Usually I get about 45-50 km of range....a little more in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

... blamed the battery last time as well so have been keeping an eye on it), fully charged with over 13v showing.

If it was showing 13V+ you must have had the car turned on when you tested it, which wouldnt be a true reading at all as the car would be float charging it when on.

To test it you need the car off for a few hours to get a true reading of what its at. It cant be 13V+ with the car off... something wrong with your measuring device if it is!

This is it Heff the Peugeot has a 13Kw battery, so the range should be at least as good as the Kia. A chap I know, his father has a Niro getting the same range as you (no problems though, as far as I know), so I was banking on having around the 50Klm range which would suit my daily needs.

They said they replaced it but unfortunately I never thought to put a mark on it so can't be sure if they are telling thr truth. Not sure about charging of the aux. battery all I know for sure is that it has 13+ volts when I leave and has 13+ volts when I get back. It jumps to 15+ when you turn on the ignition (without the ICE kicking in).

You say the range drops a bit in the winter/colder weather ? but I assume not 50%.

I thought the Kia had a 7 year warranty ??

The more info the better. UK forums had owners of older models and diesel hybrids so it's helpful to know this applies to recent models available here.

Kia 7 year warranty doesn't include the 12V battery. Only a 2 year warranty on the 12V.

• Advertisement

It's not just UK owners Paddy, Sweden and mainland Continent, and they're all driving 2020/21 models same as mine or the 4WD version. All have or have had very similar issues, some variances but pretty much the same all round.

Post edited by medad on

No, can be and is 13+ volts showing on the main battery under the bonnet (normal car battery) and 13+ volts on the aux. battery which is about the same size as a motorcycle battery. Tested with car switched off, readings always taken after over night resting or for long enough for a "settled" reading. Jumps to 15 odd when switched on alright. When I say 13+ I mean 13.2 or 13.3 etc. At any rate the point is I'm getting the same readings with the new battery as the one they "replaced", so that side of it is consistant.

Been working on motorcycles and cars for 40+ years, these are behaving no differently to healthy batteries in the past. I have a spare van battery on the floor beside me in the garage as I speak, 12.7 on it atm. I have 3 multi-meters same readings no matter which one comes to hand, my load tester is on the blink in fairness and haven't had the battery out to run additional checks. This is my first foray with a PHEV so not familiar with their workings. Not sure why it even needs an aux. battery in the boot, talking to a 3008 owner who gave his late 2020 4WD version back after having no joy getting his sorted (not fit for purpose being the reason) now has a Rav4 with only one battery under the bonnet as normal.

Jaysus. He will pass on it so. Only in for a service and the rep made him the offer, not even looking for a new car! Either way I told him to test drive Tucson phev and also the 3008 phev before even thinking about changing.

Cheers Paddy, I'd pass on the 3008 phev for the time being until they sort it out. I don't think it's a mechanical issue, more software/electrical by the look of it. That said I was just talking to a friend of mine who ran the older (mpv style) 3008 and he said it was plagued with electrical faults and was costing him a fortune to keep it going, everytime he brought it in, it was costing him 3/400 blips every 4 months or so for 4+ years until he could afford to change.

Oh deary me that's mental. Wouldn't have expected that from Peugeot to be honest. The UK forums have issues like yours for years now. Any idea if it affects every car or just an unlucky few?

I think if it was every car there'd be a bigger stink about it. That's why I started this thread to test the waters and see if other Irish owners responded. Obviously there'd be a greater impact if there was a decent number of owners contesting the same problem and it came to a legal action etc.

I'm being pessimistic here but I spent alot of money for what I thought would be trouble free motoring. Instead, less than a year of ownership, I at best have a car that doesn't do what it's claimed it should do and at worst in 3 years time a car that can't get through an NCT and could be essentially worthless. I know it's a big jump but you know yourself, "hope for the best.......plan for the worst".

If this ends up being a persistent problem it'd be better for me if it were a common issue, the more the merrier. We could hand the cars back for a refund as they'd not be fit for purpose under consumer legislation and we could move on. I for one can't afford to be Peugeot's Guinea pig. Their sales blurb doesn't mention anything about joining Peugoet's 'research and development' team. Now if they want to give me a free car to help them out that'd be a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Not sure if you are the same person but I saw someone on the EV owners Facebook page saying they had a 3008 phev and couldnt believe the drop off in range. Said they expected a drop off in winter but it's gone to below 18km and even at best it's well below the claimed range. Not sure if they have any other issues but might be worth making contact there. Unless of course that's yourself.

Maybe I should add that I've just come away from high mileage BM with a Christmas tree instead of a dash board. F@ckin' DPF this, ERG valve that and timing chain the other, coolant leaks and god knows what else. NCT time was a sphinter clenching ordeal, not to mention the cost of it all and I was just sick of it. I was aiming for something reasonably fresh, low miles etc and just lost the run of myself and ended up here.

Cheers mate. Not on Facebutt, so not me (old codger) Thanks for the heads up might be worth having a look. Was that here in Ireland ?

Yes it's in the Irish EV Owners Facebook group. This is their message below:

"Hi I bought a Peugeot 3008 plug in hybrid in middle of July 2021. Was told when buying I’d get 55km all electric and 10% less in cold weather. My battery is now only at 24km and probably only getting realistic about 18km out of it and when on petrol it’s very heavy on it. Anyone else have this problem and how to fix as as far is I see car is not as sold ?"

• Advertisement

Lovely stuff JoF, I have one of my sons checking it out. Again thanks a mill. for your help, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 F J

This car is seriously defective and Peugeot doesn’t care Electric range

collapses to well below that advertised Time for legal action as selling on this car will be a real problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1 allan 6164

Hi I have a 10,000km 300 8AET 3008GT hybrid which is in the garage due to a rear differential failure, been told it will take 10 says to repair, not what I expected from a car less than 11 months old, Peugeot after sales have however been excellent, I am in SW France with a replacement car.

Hi Allan,

I take it that's the 4 wheel drive model. That's not great to hear but I suppose they are looking after you. There was no way I was getting a courtesy car from my dealership, but your problem is probably going to take longer to sort and maybe you had your holiday booked or do you live in France ?

Mine is running ok atm but apparently you have to run it in sport mode to get the ICE involved to charge the 'Aux' batteries every week. They don't mention that in their brouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Has that 'resolved' the issue for you Medad? Out of interest, how long do you need to run it in sports mode for?

One of the biggest issues with PHEVs and EVs seems to be that the dealerships haven't been properly trained or informed of pretty basic (but crucial) info. You are right, this should at least be highlighted in the manual.

So far so good. Tech says run the ICE at least to full operating temp. 20 minutes or so every couple of weeks. I suppose you could also charge the batteries manually with a charger as a couple of owners in the UK are doing. Pain in the hole though with 2 of them. Problem is, if you miss the mark and lose "EV mode" a warning light comes on and doesn't appear to cancel itself when charged up. That's hassle of bringing it back just have the light reset and expense when warranty runs out. You can always just run it until next service. That is until NCT kicks in, then your Donald Ducked.

You're dead right about the training. When talking to staff at my dealership you can tell they weren't up to speed at first. They seem to be improving a bit though, I'd say because this is a common issue they're having to deal with, you can still spot the bluffing all the same. I suppose nobody likes to admit they don't fully know what they're doing and definitely not when they're charging you a 100+ Euro an hour workshop rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Just wondering if you are still getting on okay, medad. I have a 3008 automatic which was being serviced last week, and had a test drive in a 3008 PHEV........I love the 3008, and really loved the PHEV version I drove. But your experiences would would make anyone think twice.

Ok atm. As long as I either drive in "sport mode" or put the trickle charger on the "aux" batteries regularly. I love the 3008 as well great build quality, a very nice car overall. The 1.6 petrol engine is not the smoothest and not very economical as far as I can tell, I'd hate to have to run it with the ICE for any length of time. If I had my time again I'm not sure I'd go for the PHEV or any Peugeot for that matter, don't know enough about them tbh maybe other brands have similar issues. But not being able to run completely in "ev mode" is a bit of a draw back they should have mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DevIrl

Hi Guys,

Seeing medad comments above I can relate to the same issue. I bought my 3008 Allure Phev just a month ago so end of April 2022, it showed 52Km when I picked up and was fine up until last week. It's now showing 42Km range on full charge. Since bought, it had gone back to the Limerick Peugeot twice, there is a strange sound when I rev the car on petrol mode. Its like it is taking air in exhaust and generating this sound. Reported issues with the EV range too. I just picked the car back on Friday and the are saying this sound is normal and is in all new Peugeot 3008s and the EV range is due to the car learning your driving behaviour. I read good few posts on the same EV range issue and to be honest most of us bought this car so that we can drive it on ELectric mode and save. But this is just defeating the purpose of it. I want to get the replacement of get the full refund but I don't know if its possible because Peugeot will never the full liability. I wonder if anyone else made a formal complaint and got some result back?

• Advertisement

The 52 to 42 is probably right, as in down to style of driving. Most electric cars when picked up display a higher range than it would a few weeks later after use. Now if it was to drop to 18-20km like others are reporting then there is definitely an issue somewhere.

Advertisement