Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public healthcare workers, who served onsite in a clinical Covid-19 exposed env. to receive 1k euro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

Waiting room. Jesus, have you even been in healthcare setting the last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

To give you an idea of the huge money earned by GPs, here is some data, from the PCRS annual reports.

www.pcrs.ie

2019, pre-COVID

HSE payments to GPs for fees and allowances = 589.23m

GP contractors = 2,974

2020 - COVID

HSE payments to GPs for fees and allowances = 788.25m

GP contractors = 3,033

So payments grew by over 33%, yet there were 2% more GP contractors.

They earned 200m extra, that is 66,000 extra per contractor.

Then, in 2021, GPs made huge money on the vaccines.

UK = GBP 12.58 per dose, about 15 euro back then.

So 30 euro for two doses.

We pay them 25+25+10 = 60 for two doses

The problem was that covid was everywhere in hospital. Hard to find a healthcare worker who didn't get confronted by a covid + patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Abbaesque

Yes I believe 60 something euro per vaccine administered.. plus getting paid for 3 minute consults..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I own and work in one.

Now, if every vaccinated person has to sit back in the waiting room for 15 minutes after vaccination, and there is a finite number of socially distanced seats in that waiting room, can you at least understand the limiting affect that has on the number of people that can be in a Clinic at any one time?

But they weren’t seeing patients and often they had the nurses administer vaccines. They could get through I would imagine 20 phone consults in an hour, easy, which for a PP was about 1000 an hour..

That’s why they often did the clinics on Saturdays as a bonus.. more than the money though is the fact that GPs during the pandemic increased the pressure on the HSE, by not seeing patients face to face. Dentists have been seeing patients since May 2020 and they are closer to patients…

• Registered Users Posts: 27,272 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well the waiting room I was in had space for 15, meaning the practice was cleaning up with €60 a minute.

Utter shite. How dare you think you’re as entitled to the recognition of those who worked in hospitals and in particular covid wards and ICU’s during the heights of the pandemic. As has been said previously, the hours in full PPE with masks & goggles leaving bruises, the sweat from living in plastic basically, being with seriously ill patients and being the only one there when they died, but yeah you deserve the same for doing none of that.

• Advertisement

How do income from private fees compare during that period? It stands to reason HSE payments would increase to account for payments related to vaccines, but private fees decreased because there was a huge reduction in the numbers of paying patients attending clinics while lower fee vaccinations were being administered.

Please note the two years compared are before vaccines.

I compared 2019 and 2020.

The 2021 data isn't out yet.

Check to see if there was an increase in the number of medical cards issued, patient registrations and the affect of extension of free GP care to children had on payments during that period. An increase in fees was also agreed prior to Covid as part of the GMS contract negotiation and phone triage payments were introduced when Covid hit in 2020, this fee was HSE fee was €25, considerably less than the fee a patient would pay in the Clinic if they had attended and were normally charged the higher clinic fee for that consultation.

HSE fees would be expected to rise if GPs were dedicating time to Covid related issues in 2020, but there was a significant decline in the number of patients seen and fees taken in by GP clinics at the same time as a result. So Beatty69’s contention that GPs made a profit on Covid above precovid income is simply not true.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I'm one. Work in a hospital. Direct patient contact throughout. Never been a close contact publicly or privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If there is spare money to be considering spending on bonuses, spend it instead on slashing waiting lists…

And…

Equip every hospital with a couple of Alter-G Treadmills… there wasn’t a single one in the Mater when I was there and presumably still isn’t one… they cost about 35,000 but increase the chances and timelines of recovery for people with chronic injuries and disability….but, bonuses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

agree,

anyone working in a shop or similar should get 2 grand or more, they were in an uncontrolled environment IMO, they could have been facing people after coming out of house parties, drugged off their heads with a bad case of the munchies rambling around their workplace putting them at great risk, i've seen a few "sorts" in shops over the last 2 years taking their masks off in the middle of a supermarket once they're in the door, saw a group of "cultured" people(10 to 15) stood in a group, no masks, blocking an aisle of a supermarket. i walked the other way, no frozen products for us that day. People in hospitals etc had porters/security guards, ring before entrance, more testing etc etc.

it's not an either or, ya can't give it to one and not to the people who stopped us all starving to death for the last 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You ask me that like it’s a bad thing? 🤔

It’s a terrible idea, that’s what I’m saying, precisely for the reason you demonstrated above like it’s some sort of pissing contest.

If I’d had the authority, I’d be putting in place policies to pay all employees a decent wage instead of the shìte money they’re on now, for work that you couldn’t pay me enough to do.

A one-off grand in the hand is nothing to me personally, but that doesn’t mean I don’t know what it means to thousands, thousands of people who worked their arses off in disastrous conditions to keep the Irish economy afloat, just about, during the pandemic, and here’s the thing - I wouldn’t begrudge a single one of them a bonus, but I’d rather see they were paid properly for their labour as that’s a better long-term strategy than the short term bonus, right before they introduce more pay cuts because they can’t afford to provide staff with the resources they actually need.

Now if you don’t mind I’ve to go kiss my local politicians arses for their generous €100 payment to my electricity account…

I hope they’re all vaccinated 🤔

2019 to 2020

GMS = 1,544,374 up to 1,584,790 up 2.6%

GPVC = 524,494 up to 529,842 up 1%

• Advertisement

Isn't that a discussion to be had with their employers rather than the State? A quick google shows that the chains like Dunnes, Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, SuperValu did give staff Covid bonuses, albeit after they were lobbied by the unions. Some were 10% (which would far exceed the €1000 given to healthcare workers in many cases) others vouchers.

Was there the same controversy when Dunnes announced they were giving their staff bonuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My GP saw patients all throughout the pandemic , plus phone calls and vaccines .

Same for mine. Granted you wouldn’t be called in for an appointment if there was any covid symptoms, but I think that’s more just being sensible like.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How do you know what they were doing for the half hour they were in the room and you weren't?

The fact that there wasn't a patient in there doesn't mean they weren't working.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

LillySV threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

HSE Care Assistants who tended Covid positive patients in their home have been informed that they are not entitled to the payment.

Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭maneno

Well parents who were turned teachers should also be paid this bonus

My wife works as a care assistant in a healthcare setting for a private company, she looked after many Covid + patients over the last two years with very very shoddy PPE equipment (the company sent her into a covid + patient with a surgical mask and some gloves).

She caught Covid at work in January 2021 and brought it home. I ended up in the ICU at 30 years of age with covid pneumonia and blood clots on my lungs, it was touch and go with me for a short while. When I got released from the hospital my wife was 8 months pregnant and had to look after me.

My wife will not receive the 1k bonus because she works for a private company. She looked after people with Covid and she is on a lot less of an hourly wage than people doing the exact same job as her working for the public service.

I have seen first hand when in the hospital the hard job the front line workers have had to do over the last two years and I really appreciate everything they have done, they even saved my life. I wish they could get more than 1k but EVERYONE who worked with covid patients should get the bonus, not just public service workers.

Thanks again to all the frontline workers! Fcuking legends ye are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

To be fair her employer can choose to pay her more or she could in theory negotiate a better rate of pay because she works for a private company. The private company probably increased profits due to the pandemic but may not bother to look after staff but they can if they wish.

These options are not available to public sector workers or employers because the pay scales are set. This is why the government is giving a bonus.

How can public funds be used to be bonuses to private companies staff?

• Advertisement

Pay the bonus for all healthcare staff through tax credits or something?

Advertisement