Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HCC Round 4 - Munster vs. Wasps - Sunday, Jan 23rd @ 3.15pm - BT Sport 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Carlsberg don't do pissing off the anti SJW crowd. But if they did, they'd probably be the best in the world

#antiantisjw

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ah lads. 45-7. Bonus wrapped up after 44 mins. Some lovely stuff before the bonus point and the game broke down after that, which is far from unusual.

Munster’s attack still getting criticised on boards.

I’m staying positive anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭irelandrover

When Heineken first sponsored the European Cup I'm 99% sure they gave out a man of the match award.

Its not very important what they call the best player but it is being PC in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Yeah, maybe we have to call men 'stars' now to please social justice warriors. Or maybe Heineken want to underline their sponsorship of the MOTM award. Hard to say which it is.

*facepalm*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭TRC10

• Advertisement

Munster were in complete control for that entire game. Connacht played more entertaining rugby, but they lost to a team they were favourites to beat

As a rugby fan, do you prefer your team to play loose (defense optional) entertainment. Or do you want your team to win

We secured the tbp after about 40 minutes. The game was full of stoppages that ruined the flow and made it seem like the game dragged. The players played good attacking rugby. A 12 min stoppage just before half time was nobodies fault. The referee Constantly calling time off every few mins didn't help at all

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

Thread comments don't match what I was hearing in the terraces. Lots of very happy Munster fans in Thomond Park today.

We've played 4 and won 4, 18 from a total of 20.

Only for a team of officials screwing Castres on Friday evening in their game v Quins we'd have finished in the Top 2.

Post edited by phog on

This was a dupe post but may as well ask here now

At the game ref seemed very slow in getting Wasps to use the ball when we stopped their mauls. There seemed to be a few that never even got going but ref allowed then time to get moving then we stopped them again and they got time to get momentum again. Was ref telling them to use it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Havent seen game but laws allow maul to move again if it stops. nothing wrong allowing more time to reduce number of scrums. He doesnt have to tell them use it

• Advertisement

Ref was telling them to use it, but then forgetting he told them that and allowing the maul to continue for ages afterwards

Happened in at least 3 mauls (all wasps mauls)

I'm well aware of the laws but when you see the game you'll see that he did allow them loads of time, much more than normal to use it.

The laws are clear. If the maul is stopped, the ref calls it as stopped. the mauling side can try to push forward one more time, and if they're stopped again, they have to take the ball out of the mall or else it's a penalty to the defending team

Very simple laws, that this particular ref decided to not enforce

Doesn't matter because it didn't affect the game, but on another day..

So ref uses their discretion to keep other principles of the laws at play then. to allow continuity of game etc...

My view at the game was he gave them too much time, way too much at times to get the maul moving or to use it.

LO hasn't seen the game so he's probably defending the ref for the sake of the ref being right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Same here, delighted with the performance as was everyone around me. The second half was very scrappy at times but there were two if not three long stoppages. Hope those Wasps players are alright.

We bossed them throughout, bar a couple of occasions of them on our line and bit of concern about the sub scrum towards the end maybe, think they got two penalties in a row against us. Thought Murray, Beirne, JOD, Healy, Conway all had fine games. Zebo looked sharp also. Barron impressed me too.

It wasn't a full 80 minute clinical performance but lots to be positive about, some lovely interplay and offloading going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Of course it's PC stuff. Changing from 'man' to 'star' happened at the same time every other comp started using the awful mouthful that is 'player of the match'. They just chose 'star of the match' because it fits with their sponsor and is still gender-neutral.

How does that work? Munster wouldn't have had as many points if Castres had beaten them.

Or its simply PR. Heineken using their sponsorship to tie in more with the man of match and have their logo, a star, be linked with man of match.... its nothing to do with PC.

• Advertisement

It's taking advantage of a chance for PR after they would have been going to change it anyway. That's what it looks like to me.

Why else does it happen at the same time other comps are changing to gender-neutral terms? Why not 10 years ago. Heineken have been the sponsor for a long time.

• I think the official capacity was just over 13000. For a place at half capacity, it was one of the better atmospheres I've experience in Thomond Park. Even better than the 21000 or so at the Castres game before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

makes you wonder how this kind of thing goes over in France where every arbitrary object is given a gender.

I could be mistaken as my french has rusted over the years but a star would be Une etoile which is feminine. So instead of a masculine “man of the match” in mens rugby we have a star of the match which is feminine in french.

its a mad world sometimes.

Well this time we had the Zebo factor and for someone who thought his match fitness might be questionable after such a long layoff he proved me wrong, played the full 80 and had a bust of speed on the 81st minute that you'd expect from a guy at the start of a game. The work he did off the ball yesterday was as important as the two tries he scored. He's unlucky the Irish squad was named last week

I thought Munster's gameplan was to just kick the leather off the ball? Progress of a kind. ;)

One thing I thought went very well yesterday (and has generally been good all season) was our launch plays off lineout.

Even in the Ulster game, where we were down to 14 for so long, they were quite good, giving us consistent go forward ball. (They were one-pass phases that day tho, so garnered some criticism).

If Castres had won their match, then Quinns would have finished below Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I think your onto something here with regards match sharpness but its something relevant to the entire squad not just zebo.

I think a big issue now is fitness over 80 minutes, or the ability to keep the same intensity that was shown for the first 25 mins for a full game and that only comes with hard close games.

The wasps game was so start stop that the intensity levels dropped off, and they were well beaten.

Exeter could get more of those types of games between now and april than we will get and over the course of 80 minutes that gives them a big advantage.

Maybe the rescheduled trip to SA could give us some big tests that would stand to us in the exeter games and also playing leinster the weekend before.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭iwasliedto

Wasps look poor because they are poor, like Bath looked poor against Leinster becasue they are crap. Wasp this season shipped 56 points V Saracens, 34 V Newcastle, 55 V Leicester at home, 35 V Glochester at home and 35 and 45 V Munster. They have had a handfull of victories against good opposition. If you mean a serious team capable of winning a cup then you are mistaken.

• Advertisement

Some good news on Tom Young, he was discharged from hospital this morning and can travel back home

Advertisement