Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making instant whip

Options
  • 22-01-2022 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

How would you make this dessert if you could not buy it?

Is there a basic recipe?

I can see you need sugar or equivalent and some kind of gelling agent but I am told there are no eggs in it.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I've never had it so I wouldn't be sure.

Have you tried the equivalents you can buy in Irish shops, like Angel Delight or Bird's Dream Topping??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭amandstu

I think so. I will have a look at the ingredients on the packet next time I go into the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭phormium

Angel Delight is not the same as Instant Whip, AD sets more like a mousse whereas Instant Whip was more sloppy in texture, like an aerated custard. Dream Topping is a cream substitute basically and has no real flavour other than sweet.

The biggest problem would be getting the fake strawberry type flavour and then the texture, you could make a strawberry mousse with a little less gelatine so it doesn't set as firm, possibly even a cornflour base which might give more of the IW texture but if you use real strawberries it will be nicer :) but not like IW.

Maybe a vanilla mousse with strawberry flavouring and pink colouring!

I used to love Instant Whip back in the day when it was the only sort of dessert my mother made! Unfortunately she favoured the Butterscotch flavour which I hated, I did like the strawberry though. Can't say I'd use it these days though, would prefer the real thing! There are quite a few packets in the Polish supermarkets that look like IW type things, sachets with Budyn on them and different flavours, I haven't used them but think they might be more like a flavoured custard rather than the IW texture.

Thanks.No butterscotch was my favourite too

I was wanting the basic setup so I could make something along the same lines .

Your idea of something of a mousse suggests there may have been powdered egg in those sachets..

Maybe just the white?

I doubt there was, a concoction of all sorts of chemically enhanced goodness :)

Sugar, Pre Cooked Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Colourings, Flavourings from a very old pack online!

• Advertisement

Yes,always a surprise it tasted as good as it did.

Looked more like astronaut grub.

My research tells me this is the closest on the market to the old Instant Whip if you are near a Sainsburys https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/dessert-mixes/sainsburys-butterscotch-whippy-dessert-54g

Moirs Butterscotch Pudding, a South African brand available online, seems to be same as well https://thesashopireland.com/shop/instant-puddings-custard-powder-jelly-powder/moirs-instant-pudding-butterscotch-90g-box/ and there is another version available in Germany, Dr Oetker Paradies Creme.

One look at the ingredients on the Sainsburys one and you can see it would be impossible to replicate it at home with real ingredients but there are lots of recipes online that might somewhat recreate it.

This one looks pretty good and maybe a folded in beaten egg white as it cools to aerate it a bit. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21390/butterscotch-pudding-i/

Thanks I may put that on the long finger

;-)

Advertisement