Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Career decisions

Options
  • 23-01-2022 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi All,

I am a qualified electrician,have an ordinary degree in electrical engineering and a cert course in automation.

I have worked as an e&I technician for the last five years. I done a lot of travel nationality for this job.sometimes more driving than work.

There wasn't alot of electrical work in job,more calibration and verification work.I finish up soon and start a new job with local authority as a caretaker in water services.

But in August I applied for a job in a medical device company twenty mins from my house.mon-fri 8-4.30. I got offered job and didn't except it as I have this thing off that I don't have enough experience and talk myself out of it. I believe I don't have enough experience from last role as not much electrical in it.

Travel got to me and local authority job came up. I got it and took it. Taking large 7k pay drop.

Local authority is secure,I have young kids so I need to be earning, but I know it'll be not very interesting, 8-2.30, six days a week.

Factory job is back up again,mon to Fri not as big a drop about 4k. So I wonder why is it up again, is there a reason or are they just hiring more.

My question is what job? Is it bad form to message factory HR and inquire if it new position or role I had previously applied for?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

Stick with whatever job leaves time for the nixers, the authority will give you access to lots of contractors though

As a former plumber this is how I decided where I worked

I was never one for travelling too much for a job as I worked at least 2 evenings and a Saturday for myself

Plenty of Money in the top up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A local authority water caretaker - have you heard anything about transfer of staff to the single public utility aka Irish Water. Staff were to be transferred by July 2021 but that timeframe was never going to be met.

Transfer to Irish Water could be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective. I would have thought that an electrician with instrumentation and water experience would be someone who would be valued by Irish Water but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 pablo don

Hi apparently 2023 is when the Switch is meant to be happening. But who knows. .my presective would be that it would be a good thing.

That was my thought taking job that if IW was to take over they'd be using people with my skillset. Hopefully they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 pablo don

I was thinking that too, but I fine it hard to get nixers as people now want certs etc.

If Getting registered you'd want to be at it full time.

Changed few lights and added a socket for customer, they then wanted certs etc and it was a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

Regards nixers you just need to get your name out there -Estate agents, contractors, landlords, small business owners etc

When you do you will have more work than you can handle

Most people not bothered with certs if price Is right, just remember the golden rule and Get the customer to buy the materials

• Advertisement
Advertisement