Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clincher tyre for a Mavic UST rim

Options
  • 22-01-2022 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

hi all,

bought the Mavic Allroad disc Ust clincher off https://www.bike24.com/p2297902.html but god damn it, its hard to get a normal clincher on. I've pinched two tubes and the 3rd attempt took 20 mins. this was with 28mm Victoria Zaffiro. Rubino Pro is the same. Mavic say they are Clincher compatible

any recommendation on a clincher tyre that would fit? thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

Although I don't have the exact wheel you mention, I do have a couple of different Mavic Disc UST wheelsets. One thing I've found that helps is to ensure that as much of the tyre bead is temporarily pushed off the side of the wheel rim and into the centre channel - you can do this as you go along or wait until you get to the difficult bit at the end - simply rotate the wheel, pinching the two sides of the tyre as you go to temporarily forcing the beads off the raised sides of the rim and into the deeper centre channel - you should find this gives you just that little bit of extra 'slack' to help get the last little bit of the tyre on. Once you manage that, pump up the tyre and the beads should pop right back into their usual position.

Failing that, there are tools such as TyreKey or the VAR Nylon Tyre Lever which are small enough to take out on the road with you (I'm sure there are lots of other similar tools out there). Failing that, you could use something like this at home instead. I personally have had a good deal of success with the Tyrekey (last time it was called into action was during the Grass Routes Gran Fondo in Tipperary), but I've also read reviews of people struggling with it or it breaking on them - there does seem to be a knack to using it alright, but I'm happy with it, and now that I remember to push the beads into the centre channel whilst fitting, I don't always need to resort to a tyre lever at all.

The toughest tyres I've ever had to fit to my wheels are the Continental 4 Seasons - most of the time (but not always) they do require levering to get them on. I've never used any Vittoria tyres on these wheels so can't comment specifically on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

2021 Mavic wheelset & similar issues trying to fit 28mm Tufo clinchers. Skinned two thumbs and still no joy.

LBS guy loves challenges so he got them on after a struggle as well. I dread the day I get a flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

thanks all for the replies. Will have a look at those tools as an option. I finished last part of tyre pushing on at the valve area so no pinch flat happened that time. wouldn't have purchased if i knew what I know now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

Soapy water to lube.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

As a bike mechanic, I can confirm that all Vittorias (even the folders)...and those barsteward Gatorskins....are an absolute 'mare to get on any rim.

I have scars (physical and mental) from both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

I don’t know if the clincher version is the same, but the best tire I’ve found to fit the Ksyrium Elite UST is the Hutchinson Fusion. I’ve tried ( and failed/ abandoned) with Conti GP 5000’s, tried Schwalbe which fitted ok but was a terrible tire ( I may have got a dodgy one).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm a fan of the hutchinson fusion tyres, easy on/easy off, good grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I was close to throwing a set of Mavic Cosmic UST's in the bin after trying to get a tubeless tire on. Getting it off was even worse though so if suggest you try that before riding it as there was no hope I was getting this tire off out on the road (it was a Schwalbe Pro One tubeless).

Advertisement