Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just bugs / missing functionality reports - no griping

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

We have been looking at this. From what we have worked out on the other thread this seems to happen when you go to the thread from Homepage and not Bookmarks and when you click on the thread title rather than on the icon for first unread post under the thread. That was true for desktp, however I can see you are using mobile. From memory are you going to a thread you have previously read from the forum or homepage or from your bookmarks page when this happens? If we can pin down where and when its happening, it'll be easier to work on a fix for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm hoping to do a testing session on mobile later today, similar to what I did on desktop a few days ago, unless you figure it out in the meantime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Thanks Niamh, it's usually from my followed threads, so I'd click on the link for the last which would normally bring me to where I was on the thread. Strange that is does work on some threads though but majority it doesn't, great help I know :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

System just threw it's toys out of the pram, Cloudflare error, but something's changed, the error looks like it happened as it was updating to say it had saved a draft, the problem after that was I couldn't get rid of the cloudflare message without signing out of Firefox.

Screen capture of what it looked like, I was able to post the message I was typing.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is anyone else seeing a 'new message' notification despite have no new messages, no messages at all since December, as it happens?

Not quite the same - but also DM related.....

The other day I got a notification that I had a new DM from someone I never heard of.

Went to my messages icon, and saw a preview of a message from a poster (can't remember the name now, Jim somethingorother maybe?) asking me to sign a petition relating to missing person Trevor Deely. I had absolutely no idea what prompted the DM, it was unsolicited, so I didn't open the actual message.

Later that day, the notification and the DM were both gone - there is now no trace of either to be seen.

If that was (as I presume) spam, and was reported as such - would it have been wiped to the point that it would disappear off everyone's messages? Including the notification? I didn't report it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but the Abroad section is missing a couple of forums from the list (United States / New Zealand)

There seem to have been a couple of users signed up over the weekend to spam this petition via PM. I got one myself, once I went into my private messages the notification disappeared even though the message had already been deleted and I couldn't read it. It is possible for us to delete all of a spammers content, it was also possible (and occasionally used) on vBulletin.

Sorry, that was a permissions issue that I hadn't noticed, it's fixed now. Please have another look when you have a minute just to check all is back for you too.

• Advertisement

Thanks Niamh. The 'New message' notification, the 1 is still showing. Is there anything I can do or you can do to clear this please?

What worked for me (without me realising) was that I opened my message inbox and opened my most recent message and that seemed to clear it even though that was not the new message.

Also maybe send yourself a PM and see if opening that will clear all of the notifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Thanks Niamh, opening the most recent message worked to clear it.

Getting a completely blank page everywhere on Opera, have to go Private for stuff to display. Inspecting the page shows everything is there but none of it displaying.

• Advertisement

Yup, still happening.

EDIT: Could be an Opera bug. Some Facebook images are missing for me as well, happened before when AWS were down. Hard to tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭GBX

On mobile: pages are still auto scrolling slowly back to the last read post of a thread not last post if I've gotten that far.

Opera bug has disappeared and FB images working properly too. Gonna guess it was a weird CDN setting somewhere that was changed and reverted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭daheff

How do I turn off notifications for a new thread I started? I don't want to be notified of every response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Click the bell icon and then the three bars(settings) and then all notification settings can be set how you want in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭daheff

Many thanks

On mobile.

I just tried to report a post using the the 3 dots and the Flag button.... but the button appeared, but nothing happened. No report box, just left me on the post I was trying to report

The post was by a new poster who'd created a thread in an inappropriate forum, I don't know if it being an opening post in a thread had anything to do with it?

Edit - reading that over, there's an awful lot of "buts" and "posts" in it!

Not related to anything but everytime I see a post from you this plays in my head because of your username :)

😂

My favourite film, in the whole wide world, ever!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Probably before ye were born, but in the 70's there used to be an afternoon programme on RTE (the only station we had) called Heidi.

From what I recall it mainly consisted of a Swiss or Austrian girl wandering around fields. I was only a kid myself but I remember the scenery was lovely.

'Twasn't me!! But I loved the book as a kid (in the 70s!!)

on mobile the ad at the bottom of screen is making my page scroll up and down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Big assed banner ad permanently visible at the bottom of the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,498 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Blank space at bottom of every screen on mobile today - 10% of screen area.

There was a gear icon there originally, for cookie settings. Used it, wasted space still there.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

There's a great big ad there now for me, which moves up and covers the text box when I'm trying to type a reply 😡

Makes a change from the "draft saved" pop-up, I suppose, but it would be really nice if we could just have a clear text box to type in....

Yeesh, ok, these new ads on mobile. I get why boards needs them fine, no problem. But please, don't have them stay when we go to reply. The text box is buggy as hell with the ads when you try to do anything other than just posting text. I'm talking about quoting, use the widget, pasting etc focus is jumping all over the shop and between the keyboard, ad and top banner there's only a few lines visible in the box.

Ads are annoying but a necessary evil, but please, not when we're using the text box

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭TracyMartell

Page keeps jumping on mobile due to ads moving I think. Google Chrome on iPhone

Also on iPhone, pressing “done” when finished typing out a message doesn’t get rid of the keyboard. I would’ve said that was an issue with the phone but it’s not happening anywhere else but here.

Delete.

@Boards.ie: Niamh See above post. I couldn't go any further.

I'm on mobile now. Android 11 OnePlus 6 chrome browser and do not have any issues like you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PaulT21

On desktop, Safari, the Followed Forum Tab which was mentioned as being beside Regional on another thread seems to be missing again. Was this withdrawn? 🤔 Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Anyone else getting a grey box down the bottom of the forum?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I found the same

I think it happens only with the very first post in a thread

Terry Pratchet

You can actually type blind under the ad banner, or scroll the text box up - but it's a total pain in the arse.

Every time I move the cursor to somewhere else (eg to correct a typo) the box jumps and is obscured by the ad banner again.

Like another poster said above, I get the need for ads, but not to the point where they actively make it difficult to post.

The way the mobile site is set up at the moment would actually push me into finding an ad blocker.

I just installed an ad blocker so now I have the empty grey box that anna described above. It’s stopped jumping though as I type this which I assume occurs when those ridiculous ads rotate from one ad to another ad.

Those type of ads make me close any website I come across them on. They’re a websites Achilles heel imo.

How do i turn off notifications? The only options in settings are to turn on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Report system is f'ed

• Advertisement

Hit the bell and then the three bars(settings) and all the options for notifications are in there.

On mobile pages keep loading content as I’m scrolling which is making the site very hard to navigate as things keep moving as I’m trying to read or post.

Whatever I said a few days ago about there being a "system" on mobile for where you land in a thread when you click on it - forget it.

I've been on mostly mobile for the last few days, and I've landed been landed all over the shop - I wasn't keeping track of where I've clicked in from, but it definitely was more random than what I'd listed from my "research" a few days ago. Every time I had to keep scrolling back to check I hadn't missed any posts - sometimes I hadn't, but sometimes I had - sometimes just one, sometimes loads.

And can I re-emphasise what an absolute PAIN that banner ad is at the bottom of the mobile screen? Sends the main screen jumping all over the place, and makes it almost impossible to type a post/reply.

An added irritation of it (probably intentional) is that at least one of those ads has a "Open" button almost identical in size and location to the boards "Post" button - but the "Post" button is hidden by the ad, making it super-easy to click and open the ad by mistake. I have a pain in my head looking at those ads scrolling and flicking, and throwing my boards content all over the place - but I do NOT want to open any of them, and that just seems like a step too far in the underhanded trickery stakes. (Maybe I'm just being naive though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I forgot my password . Have saved on phone so log in direct. When logging in from laptop.. handlemaster as user not recognised. ..my email not recognised either to change password

@Boards.ie: Niamh Regarding the page jumping around on mobile, I did some quick testing to isolate the cause.

The ad boxes called Advertisementaaa in the main body of the page, when they cycle to a new ad, the size dimensions shrink for a moment causing the page to shift up and then shift back down again.

So yeah, it's just not the footer ad causing the jumping around, it's the main body ads.

Still would be nice to not see the footer ad when replying

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement