Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Orbea Orca OMR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

If you already have a very similar bike I'd be looking to make a bigger upgrade rather than have two perfectly working bikes doing the same job. All depends on what you are happy to spend but wouldn't be chasing the idea of having a winter bike worth 2k but I'm just tight!

The Orbea's have never appealed to me, have just never liked the styling.

This example in question does look like pretty good value but another bonus is that you're sourcing it through your bike shop, a rarer option these days for value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd tend to agree - I'm one of many on here with a garage full of bikes but I would rarely have two that do the exact same thing. I always like to have a good bike which I take out in April and a winter bike for the rest of the year (then I've a lot of stuff in between but that is another story). My current good bike wouldn't ever become my winter bike for example (Ultegra Di2, carbon wheels and 25mm tires).

If this was to become your good bike and the existing one would do something else - I'd go for it. I've never really managed the two good bikes both similar spec and style

Thanks lads. Hard to argue. I'm on a CAAD13 at the moment so an aluminium frame and I love it and I think it would stand up to any entry level carbon bike in terms of handling and speed. The Orbea, though, is good value at 2.3k as most entry level carbon at the moment is closer to 3k.

I don't think I'll ever bother with anything too expensive as I reckon anything more than 3k is a waste of money for what I need it for - I'm strong enough to race but won't have the time for another few years. I'm more than happy with 105 groupset for example as I can't see how Ultegra or better would make much difference unless you are getting to the pointy end of performance.

My plan is to get a good set of carbon wheels (Hunt 40/50s) and use them in the summer with one of the bikes. Good tyres, latex tubes and focusing on my position will give me far more gains than an expensive bike IMO.

I do need a second bike, however, and the alternative is to go down to an entry level aluminium for about 1.9k or buy second hand (no BTW saving in this case) and neither represents good value at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That's a lovely bike. Though personally I could never commit to a white frame, my heart would be broken never having it truly clean ever again.

But seems like good value. G'wan, you're worth it! With a hunt wheel upgrade I'm sure it'd be a cracker.

Think I can get it in a dark grey colour too. The white wouldn't be for me either.

Just brought the issue of a new bike up with my wife and the look she gave me would turn milk sour so I have a bit of work to do to convince her of the need!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Ive a white bike ordered for june. Its going to be on a turbo during the winter or any rainy days so wont get as dirty as being out on it all year. Its the only colour that particular model comes in so i have to put up with it. I love white and black combinations so ill be happy enough with it. I think that orbea looks lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

We have 4 Orbea hybrids in my house, really like them. However i have heard it suggested that as a spanish brand they are not ideal for dealing with rain. no problem with any of ours though, and i commuted rain or shine on mine until working from home arrived.

somewhat strange though that they are advertising it as "the lightest racing bike" and the specs don;t include the weight. It seems neither do orbea on their website. Google suggests around 9.5kg without pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Orbea are Basque which is surprisingly rainy. I'm sure there are many on here who packed summer gear only for a June trip over there and regretted it. Basically like Ireland but a bit warmer and tiny bit less rain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If the current bike is getting old there's no harm in buying something new, even if it is similar.

If I was replacing my carbon bike it would need to have Di2 or an aero frame otherwise it's not much of an upgrade, however as this is your second bike I dont see the issue with it being similar. Frames and components all change over the years so it will still be an upgrade of sorts.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have a 2019 Orca M30 and it's great although it is a slightly older 105 groupset with rim brakes.

The frame is quite stiff and it loves the hills. I thoroughly recommend it.

However, I'm not gone on the lowered seat stay but it's fashionable nowadays.

I'd also reckon that the carbon coloured model looks better than white but each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

i really like it. Great looking bike and to be honest, i think it’s exceptional value!

im nearly tempted myself….

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

I bit the bullet for one on Saturday. Had been looking at a few shops over the last few weeks and it was slowly selling out. 3 options of colours, orange, carbon black and white. I was tossing up between white and black but I think white just stands out a bit more, even if I will have to clean it.

So Saturday morning I took a spin to Feel Good Bicycles in Cavan and put a deposit down.

Nice one! What did you pay for it out of interest? I didn't bite in the end as I just couldn't justify the spend with a third baby on the way next month

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

€2499, so more expensive than it was listed in Cork but only place with my size and not in orange.

Advertisement