Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for letting? How to vet and avoid problem tenants

• 13-01-2022 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I have decided to let out my house starting next month, Rent prices continue to skyrocket where the house is located, I listed the house on a Facebook group and have already been inundated with enquiries.

This will be my second time renting the house and it came out of a two year letting to a single elderly gent who subsequently retired and moved away to his own house in his home town, he came highly recommended to me by a friend and he never missed a payment, his job was paying it for him so it was guaranteed money. He even had a cleaner on a weekly basis until covid struck but due to his age and deteriorating health the cleaner was stopped for fear of her infecting him with covid.

I kept the entire deposit for some minor breakages and it would have cost more than the depost to fully clean the house after but I did most of it myself over the space of a month as I kept the house as my own quarantine pad. His company had no issues with non return of the deposit after.

Fast forward into 2022 and I am ready to rent the house out again. Houses in this commuter belt town are as rare as hens teeth and as the landlord I have the upperhand. Rents have increased hugely since and I had my previous tenant on a discount as I actually reached out to him due to the guarantee of his rent payment. I have seen alot of other landlords get roasted with delinquent tenants failing to meet rent due to Covid.

I am hoping to rent to a professional couple in their 30's, ideally childless (less wear and tear), no pets either and non-smokers. I have had a lot of dreamers contact me, obvious young couples who couldn't pay the rent required, facebook gives me alot of insight into the type of persona of person I'd be dealing with.

I am going to look for rent references from the previous landlord or two, what they work at (giving an idea of ability to pay). Also I'll charge rent weekly and not monthly as the monthly method delivers less rent overall. I am planning to ask for 4 weeks rent & a cleaning deposit of 2 weeks more fully refundable provided the house is returned clean and in the shame position it was received. Cleaning my own house last time was a soul destroying exercise and only for the medical condition, age and otherwise good behaviour of the tenant, I'd have gone postal on them if a young couple did this with no excuse.

What should I watch out for to avoid HAP tenants? Obviously I can't refuse them outright, I am not a charity and my house is furnished to a high quality with alot of new and good quality items inside. I'll be removing as much of these as possible.

I am a good landlord and dealt with every problem the previous tenant had like a broken shower, mowed the grass, even brought him groceries in the early days of the pandemic.

Unfortunately tenants like my previous one are rare in terms of financial security.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

I'd steer clear of advertising in Facebook groups for starters. The ones I've seen have had more dodgy members than not.

Use DAFT/Myhome.ie (cost is minimal) and take enquiries by email only. You can tell a lot from emails. Use the name and/or email address to check out all social media platforms and Google.

Beware previous landlord references, easy to fake. Cross reference with rtb register where possible.

Asking what they work at is in danger of discrimination on employment status so be careful there. Instead ask people to tell you about themselves. Also put ban on pets (and I'd add no smokers) on ad

Shortlist from emails and meet a few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

I would hate to be a tenant in Ireland these days reading the above.

Someone I know gives the their shortlisted potential tenants a surprise visit at their current home for a chat.

I am not saying its right but it may be one approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

How long is it since the house was last let? Rents may have increased significantly in the area but you may be limited in the increase you can apply to your previous rent if the property is in a RPZ.

Use the online RPZ calculator to workout the maximum rent you can charge : https://www.rtb.ie/calculator/rpz

Check and ensure you are compliant with current tenancy legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

When did the tourist area turn into commuter belt? Suppose the airb’n’b route didn’t work out for you from August?

Unless it’s all just bollocks

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058202862/airbnb-or-long-term

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭WTF...

A very important point.

If the property is in an RPZ then the rent cannot increase by more than 2% per year pro rata, even if its a new tenancy. There is an exception to this rule if no tenancy existed in the property during the two years immediately prior to this current tenancy beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

It didn't, Not sure how many would consider 40 mins from Cork City a commuter belt.

Reading the OP, that poster is one of the major reasons I'm glad I don't rent anymore, what a gowl

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Saudades

Minor breakages are wear and tear, so you illegally kept the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

I'd consider myself a "good" tenant, in terms of basically never hassling the landlord.

If a potential landlord called to my home unexpectedly I would run an absolute mile.

That's not to say everyone will, or that this approach will scare off all good tenants. But Jesus, you just have to draw the line somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

OP I think you are about to get your first taste of why landlords are selling up at the moment :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 7,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Raichu

It’s completely out of order. You can’t just call around sight unseen when renting their house so they get it out of their system beforehand? The nerve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

I 100% agree with you but I think plenty others would just be happy to get the place.

I have never rented in Ireland after my students days, but I get the feelings there's a disgraceful attitude towards tenants these days. I rented in a few other European countries over the past decade and never had the same impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I spent over 40 hours cleaning it to restore the house back to a fit condition, or is it okay in your opinion to give a house back filthy after receiving it perfectly clean? I spent an entire day alone on the oven and hob and most landlords would have chucked the oven, I didn't have the luxury of that. I also got a lady in for 2 pieces of days costing me over €200 just for cleaning. In my former tenants case there was extenuating circumstances due to his medical problems and the fact that on a pre-covid inspection the house was spotless due to the efforts of his housekeeper, covid stopped her coming in for his health sake and things quickly nosedived. If I got my house back in a similar condition from an able bodied younger person I would be absolutely livid, but according to you I illegally kept the depost, but hey screw big mr evil wealthy landlord and its okay to treat someones else property like crap because the market is causing price increase, welcome to capitalism 1-0-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Wow, OP, you sound like you dont understand how to let legally, ie in line with the legislation, I think you might be about to get stung, because you sound a bit clueless regarding tenant rights, that attitude rubs people up the wrong way. I used to be a landlord and I think certain aspects of current legislation is the origin and driver of problems in renting (not the only cause), but you have come across with a very poor attitude.

"I kept the entire deposit for some minor breakages and it would have cost more than the depost to fully clean the house after but I did most of it myself over the space of a month as I kept the house as my own quarantine pad. His company had no issues with non return of the deposit after."

For one, you cannot offset your own time in anyway against a deposit or anything, hence why it is better to pay people to do most work, if not all. So even if it would have cost more than the deposit to clean, BUT if you still did all the cleaning and decided to pocket the money leftover, I'd say that is illegal. You never mentioned how appaling the place was in your OP, in fact someone having a cleaner in regularily, well maybe they need that, seems likely they'd be fastidious, just strikes me as odd how great they were until you were justifying keeping the deposit. Thepersons medical condition that has a place so bad enables them to work at all?? Personally, I think you arent being entirely truthful, because, it doesnt add up. It makes no sense to clean an oven for a day, when you can get people in to do that job specifically for €50 and they are done and dusted in an hour and legitimately deduct from the deposit. Certainly not much more that €50, poor use of your own time, mainly it makes you seem like a cheapskate who profited off the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

Typical landlord exaggeration. A day cleaning the oven my ass! Or “they damaged” the worthless furniture is another common scam to try swipe the deposit (1980s bullet proof couch worth max €5). Most rental houses I’ve seen didn’t have €20 worth of furniture in the house. All ancient furniture picked up for free on done deal. This entitlement to tenants deposits needs to stop! It’s not your money!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭3DataModem

It's not about the "evil" landlords, it's about the landlords who don't know the basics of deposit retention reasons. You cannot claim your own time. And why DF would anyone spend a day cleaning an oven unless it is an AGA or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

Unfortunately yes that's where we are alright. People are so desperate they would put up with it.

Personally I feel I handed over way too much personal data to letting agents/landlords just to view a few places but if I didn't I'd be seriously limiting the amount of places I could even view, in an already constrained market. It was a compromise I didn't like making but had no choice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 7,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Raichu

I remember a landlord of ours, who decided we needed to leave within 48hrs (we didn’t know it was illegal at the time but anyway)

so we packed up and cleaned the gaff top to bottom but we did NOT get a chance to clean the oven (which we hardly used and was fcuking filthy anyway) or sweep a tiny pile of dust from the kitchen.

apparently both of these cost the landlord €150 for a pro cleaner to resolve. Well, let me tell you if I didn’t lose my shite with him.

I had to clean an oven in a relatives house a few months ago. Jesus its hard work.

I would gladly pay professionals €80 to clean it.

Same with a house clean. Why would a landlord do it themselves when they can just pay someone €200 to do it and get half back from the taxman.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Maybe they don't have the €200 to spend on a cleaner because the taxman takes half the rent regardless of what their outgoings are, plenty of landlord's don't meet the mortgage due to taxes even with the high rents. Even €100 is a lot for people and having a asset doesn't that they have money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Because it costs a hell of a lot more than 200 euro. Last tenant I had stopped paying rent after they got notice to leave. I removed two wheelie bins of small rubbish. I took a trailer of rubbish out of the place in total. I had to repair a broken door jamb and fill several holes in walls. Spend two days cleaning mould off one bedroom that tenants used to permanently live in. Had to repaint two bedrooms and Kitchen living area, even though tenant had only been in the house a little with two years( they had been painted on the new before they moved in). Front door had to be replaced after alleged break in.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

That there is a problem with the law. You need to be able to chase someone for money they owe you or for damages to your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Op, unless you have some emotional attachment to the house, sell it. No one will thank you for being a landlord and the more you try to limit your risk, the more crazy tenants will abuse you. So prices are good, sell the house, leaving renting to the corporates, they can afford to take the hit and because they are faceless, they don’t care what the crazies think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Wanderingmind

From our experience my advice would be to sell your property and invest your money somewhere. It is absolutely disgusting in this country what tenants can do and get away with and there is no protection for landlords. All it will take is one bad tenant and it could take you ten years to recoup your losses.

I will never forget a guy telling me before that if he had money to invest he'd buy land because there is only so much someone can do with a field.

Sell and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

Search for their name in the RTB determinations archive. If they've been brought up to the RTB for overholding, non-payment of rent, anti-social behaviour etc, you should find it there!

I have both land and houses. I would lean towards land. However it's a lot harder to leverage a land purchase. Banks are a lot more fussy about accounts and earning. After buying land you still need to invest in stock and maybe in facilities. Any decent sort of land purchase is 500 k+ for the first one to have economy of scale and stock investment after that. Return is 12-18 months + after that.

A house purchase could have you getting a return 60 days after purchase.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

A landlord can insist on a guarantor, which surprisingly few do. The landlord can insist the guarantor is a person of substance and the landlord can go straight to court if there is a problem with not getting rent or there is damage and make the guarantor pay.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If you want to get "good" tenants, i.e. professional people who pay their rent on time and look after the house, you need to be aware that the impression you present to them is as important as the impression they give to you. Someone asking for rent weekly and a double deposit would be an instant red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I agree seeking well paid rofessionals demands landlord professionalism but deposit size isn't a signal of a cowboy landlord in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Is this a rule or convention? Is this set out in the RTB rules? I find Agas need very little cleaning as there is far less glass than a electric oven

• Advertisement

the inside of Aga's self clean. They are cast iorn and if anything gets burnt or sticks to it it burns off over time and you can scrape or brush it off

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement