Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubulars for racing??

Options
  • 20-01-2022 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Have been considering picking up a pair of tubulars for racing purposes only, up until now I've been racing on clinchers. What are people's views on it, are they worth it? I would only be looking to pick up a second hand pair cheap enough. Some of the more experienced guys in the club swear by them for racing.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There's a few things to consider:

1. Generally speaking they'll roll better than clinchers. While there are some lab tests that find certain clinchers have a lower RR than tubs, on average I think they still come out a bit better.
    2. Less complex rim construction/reinforcement usually makes for a lighter wheel.
    3. Tubular rims do make carbon wheels a bit more practical and less fragile. Because the tube isn't next to the braking surface, you're unlikely to get heat-induced blowouts. That also means you can use a latex inner tube with a carbon rim. In addition the shape of the rim is also a bit more robust and less likely to get damaged.
    4. Provided you've glued it on right, you can ride a tubular flat. That's only really relevant if you've a car behind you with the prospect of a spare wheel.
    5. Fitting them is a bit of a faff. You need to stretch them on the rim first, leave them 24 hours and then glue them and then leave another 24 hours usually.
    6. Repairing punctures is also a faff. You've the choice of new tyre (expensive), whacking in sealant (messy, unreliable and ultimately ruins the tyre), or opening them up and patching the tube yourself (time consuming).

I used to race on tubulars but stopped bothering with them now that I don't do many open races or stage races when I'd usually have a car behind me. I only use tubs now for TTs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If I may ask a question. If you get a flat could you rip off the flat tyre, put an unglued new one on and ride home (reeeally slowly and carefully? - like a car limp mode)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Yes you can.

But if you use a fresh pre glued tub then the new glue will bond enough with old glue left on the rim you will be surprised how well they bond.

if you use a can of gas then the high pressure alone will keep the tyre in place.

FWIW I use tubs daily.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I did a TT last year on spare tyre that I'd put on after puncturing before the start. Straight course, so no hard cornering. Then rode home on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I've a set of tubs. I barely use them anymore. Yes, gluing tubs isn't the most difficult task in the world but the benefit isn't worth the faffing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement