Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Netflix/Streaming tax is incomming.

• 17-01-2022 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭

It's been mooted for the past year, but here it is. How do we feel about money from our Netflix, Prime and Disney+ subs going to fund local projects?

Good thing? more Irish films/television being made.

Bad thing? zombie companies that aren't comercially viable kept afloat by state subvention?

The host and guest were at pains to say that it was ringfenced and not just going into plugging leaks in the RTE salery/cocaine budget, but you's have to assume that they would be just as eligable to apply for a slice as anyone else. The guest claims that this won't affect price.

"All of the platforms built the levy into their current subscriptions - so it's not going to affect the price you're paying, it's already there"

Frankly, i think that's BS. Either the price will go up to maintain profit levels or, if its already built in as the guest says, then we've already been overcharged for years to cover it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Already, the Irish film industry gets huge tax incentives, so why should they get money from ordinary taxpayers as well. One or the other, but not both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Looking at what Larry Bass and his company have produced, they should be getting less money not more. I'd support this if there was some budding talents, great directors, or writers, who simply can't get funding for their projects, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. The Irish entertain industry produces nothing worth talking about, so why do they deserve more money?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Makes sense to bring this in as long as it's not a drop in for funding the RTE dead duck. If it would go into funding local homegrown programmes it would be great. Keeping the TV license in place will just drive people to streaming & sending more money to America/Hollywood

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Varik

"Squid Games' is a case and point; it's a South Korean show, it's playing right around the world, but the producers in Korea - if they can't get access to funding in the future, no more 'Squid Games'".

Comments like that make it seem they see no correlation between sucess and future funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The likes of Larry Bass and others have a lifestyle to protect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭DaTown

Defund the RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Lets read the bill first and see what they are at: Online Safety and Media Regulation Bill

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Notice how they put both the Online Safty and Media Regulation Tax bill together in the one bill. If they were seperate you could vote for the online safty bill and not vote for the tax levy bill but seeing as they're both in the one bill, If someone wants to vote against say the tax part you'll have people coming out and saying stuff like "Why are you against online safety laws" etc. They mashed bills together like this all the time to sneak stuff in.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭BringingSexyBack

No !

We already pay a fee for these services. Netflix and co , naturally , are not going to take a cut so that these scum seek a slice. It has been a long way from getting people to stop downloading films on the internet illegally to agreeing to pay for streaming .

People could be using Netflix and co in protest as to how crap RTE and co are .

Why should like State groups get a cent, unless it is royalties for films that they part funded ? They don't even have a role in the broadband service

With the whole of Europe (the continent ) and legendary groups like Channel 4 / Film 4 and co.............if a film group can not get some funding for their film project, the film is probably not worth making in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Article says it has happened already..."The levy is coming - that's a European criteria - so that decision's already done" and when I google I see there are articles about that EU directive (about mandating a fixed % of locally produced content etc. on the streamers) from 2018. Unless the opening post was about something else and I'm mixing things up (article wasn't really that clear). So presume it is just a case of Ireland getting around to transposing the directive.

What has it got to do with either RTE or "state groups" (?) getting money?

(I think) the idea is the streamers, mostly US MNCs, will have to plow funding into local production and then show what is produced on their platforms. They can't just use some generic "US" or "Global" catalog of content to show to European subscribers to save themselves hassle and funnel the subscriber fees outside Europe to fund production elsewhere where it might be more cost effective/useful for them (i.e. back to the USA or maybe to Asia). I assume they (streamers) will decide who gets the money here as it will be them commissioning the content (?) so up to them to make sure it gets used for something decent and not "wasted".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I subscribe to Netflix in India or Thailand or something, can't remember where now exactly. I presume I won't be paying the tax

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Fallout2022

You might be needed to funded the Indian movie industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

US ambassador will have a chat with someone to explain why it wouldn't be in the countrie's interest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Given that the creative types are often the multi-hued cheerleaders for state command and control as well as progressive policies: think of it instead as a tithe to our intellectual betters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

They'd deserve it more than Ireland, because at the least Indians produce a few good movies here and there, which can't be said for us.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Well, if its going towards paying RTEs nonsense salaries then it's a hard pass from me

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭drivingmissdaisy

Are they trying to encourage people to pirate video?

Why would you pay an inflated Irish price for these services when you could sign up in another country with a VPN and get them for 20% of the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Varik

No sign in the actual bill but the Dail questions yesterday they put a number on something.

25% of the money is to be spent on Irish langue content.

Advertisement