Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

You mean like the domestic vaccine passport that was supposed to be in place for a few weeks only? 8 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I suspect, although he/she never said it, that they don’t believe there is any pandemic. This would fit in with an irrational belief that masks will be required when there the pandemic ends.

Why do you think it’s needed right now?

Do you believe there is an ongoing pandemic?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Lol Is this supposed to be an answer to his question?

Opposition to what?

By who?

Are you claiming that the British government are now opposing the conspiracy?

Or are you just spouting out words to further deflect from the fact you can't answer a single direct question with an honest answer?

Who do you think is falling for this act man?

The fellow conspiracy theorists who's opinions are so beneath you you won't dain to comment on them?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You are conflating a whole load of things there.

Lets cover them off

Vaccine Passports - For local use , they'll be gone in the next 6-8 weeks (end of March give or take) . However I wouldn't be surprised to see them retained for International travel for a while yet (if not indefinitely) - No difference there to the requirements for things like Malaria , Yellow Fever etc. in multiple countries.

Social distancing - This isn't legally mandated and never has been , people aren't getting fined for standing too close. But if you are talking about reduced capacity indoors and on Public transport again those will all be gone by the end of March.

School Mask Wearing - I fully expect those to be removed in line with all the other restrictions over the coming weeks. Kids won't be wearing masks in school after Easter , that's for sure.

General Mask Wearing - I fully expect that they will retain the guidance for Mask wearing in enclosed public spaces and on public transport in legal terms to facilitate their usage during the winter etc. and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Like I said previously I hope shops etc. keep the sanitizing stations at the doors and continue to do the "enhanced cleaning" stuff around the place. It's just good hygiene practice and helps everyone.

In terms of the "law" given that even in the teeth of a serious Pandemic a significant cohort of people couldn't even manage to wear a simple mask properly - covering the mouth AND nose seemed to be beyond the mental capacity of some people , it would seem that retaining some kind of legal underpinnings will be necessary going forward should a new variant of Covid (or indeed the older ones) make a return next winter or in subsequent winters along with any particularly virulent Influenza strains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

that's too much info for @Gortanna to digest.... they won't read it... quote some sort of issue in Australia and relate it to Scotland...

Gortanna's wrong, simple as, and doesn't want to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,787 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Same thing.

To simplify this further, why do people wear seatbelts? You'd have no problem answering this, to reduce injuries/deaths from car accidents.

Why was that made into law? To ensure people do it.

Why did people wear masks during the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic? To reduce the spread and protect others

What happened after? Masks mandates disappeared

This stuff is simple, but you insist on complicating it all to fit some silly narrative in your head. The fact that you are "smart" enough to avoid certain questions shows you are aware of it, which directly demonstrates you are willing to be deceptive to support this narrative.

People with irrational beliefs often have no problem lying to support them. The poster with the belief that space travel is all fake was caught manipulating a photo here. You believe you "see" a majority of people wearing masks on our streets. What else is there to say.

Ok, but retaining those legal powers/emergency powers means that it's restrictions every winter forever because there will always be variants of covid: Niall Boylan on Twitter: "He also said,there will be future variants and restrictions may be brought in again in the winter when hospitals are under pressure. So there is no actual end to citizens paying the price for a badly run and inadequate health care system. So we could be back here again next year." / Twitter

Do you think it should be mandatory to be vaccinated to enter countries around the world? Is it a proportionate measure given that the survival rate for most people is 99.9% or higher?

Its funny how they constantly seek links to evidence from one side, yet when a politician says something will hopefully happen a couple of months away from now, it is thrown around as fact.

Not sure what "sides" you are referring to, there's another side to all this? If yes, what is it?

The original poster thinks the pandemic is all a ruse to install global Communism, and measures will all be permanent, would you agree with that or ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

How does having to wear something "for a few months" compute with "forever"?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yep, nothing worse than being on public transport or in a shop and some sniffly fùcker is hacking thier guts up spreading whatever they have to all and sundry.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

So, if there is another pandemic or a new deadlier variant emerges you would prefer that no restrictions be introduced? Cause whatever....

Countries already impose rules around entry to their country. As has already been pointed out this includes vaccines. But like the rest of your engagement here, it's about deflection, ignoring being shown you were wrong and trying to make your argument in a different way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No - It doesn't mean "Restrictions every Winter" - aside from the fact that putting on a mask while you are on a bus isn't a "Restriction" , it's a common sense directive to keep you and others from getting sick we should never have to return to the kind of lock-downs we've had in the last 2 years. But if we do it will be in response to a new Pandemic threat , not because there are people on trolleys for the Flu.

For Vaccines - Yes I do think it should be mandatory to have vaccinations for travel , we already have them for multiple things in multiple places.

An Unvaccinated person is roughly 20 times more likely to end up in Hospital than someone without the vaccine , they are also more likely to drive new variants , so yes

The survival rate for Malaria is around 98% , should we just not bother with those vaccinations?

It's about 96% for Yellow Fever , should we just not bother there either?

So- Can we get the answer to a simple question?

What's your problem with wearing a mask??

Absolutely - I hope they leave up the queuing spacers so you don't have some sniffly, minging fecker standing two inches behind you at the till.

I LOVE the spacing in queues that we've had , long may that continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

I feel countries should impart whatever restrictions they see fit, like they always have

In the interest of public health, yep I'm totally fine with countries requiring certain vaccines to travel there. It's also pretty common for plenty of nations. Those countries have the priority of protecting their public from outbreaks etc. Fyi, the US have loads of required vaccines for emigration. 😉

So do you guys notice how he's trying to turn the discussion back to vaccines because he was being painted into a corner about masks?

He still hasn't explained what the issue with masks is.

He still hasn't explained what the real reason behind them is.

He wants to change the subject away for this as quickly as possible. I don't think he should be allowed to weasel away from points Iike that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,460 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Vaccines for travel were permanent pre-pandemic, they'll be permanent post pandemic. Just like taxes are permanent ;)

This will be anninterwsting thread to look back on in a few weeks time (hopefully...).

They just morph their arguments. It was "all just a test", the measures are only being removed "temporarily", some country somewhere still has a mask mandate so we're all living in tyranny, they saw a woman with a mask in the shop so we are brainwashed, annual booster shots will be available so conspiracy theorists "were right all along". Calling it all now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

OK 351 pages - looks like we're opening up - people have some explaining to do.

I thought it was all about control?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Like a lot of conspiracy theories...it's all about preparation for the next attempt at controlling us...a population of around 7 billion, who speak hundreds of different languages, have numerous different forms of laws even between different states in the same country, different religions etc..but somehow we're all going to be controlled by a few rich people who'll be lucky if they can dodge the coffin for long enough to see all this happening.

Fauci is 81, Soros is 91. They'd want to get on with it!

In all seriousness, Im fascinated what the "plandemic", "Nazi passport", "all about control" crew are thinking this morning.

Did they wake up and read the news and think about the last two years and just say - "ah sh1t".

Lot of apology phone calls to make methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

It won't be just vaccinated. The travel certs will be obtainable with a negative test, so there won't be any obligation to keep pumping boosters into yourself. I'm vaccinated but won't ever touch a booster and I'm not worried about the cert for travel as I know it will be permissible to fly with a negative test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I don't buy the conspiracies but I'm cynical with our government and how "open" they will actually make it.

For instance, even delaying beyond this weekend would make a person wonder as the advice from the emergency public health team is that right now is time enough to get rid of restrictions. Until I see them getting rid of all restrictions I'll be cynical but not so far as to be wearing a tinfoil hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The 8 p.m. watershed should absolutely go this weekend, other things may take a bit longer but it is going to happen. There aren't any health grounds excuses to hide behind.

But they ignore the elephant at Europe’s border….Russia. Sure aren’t they the good guys in a CT world?

Wouldn't be surprised if they kept restrictions this weekend just to avoid 5 million people going on the piss.

Also most restaurants won't be ready to go from tonight anyway. They need time to order in food, get staff back, organise shifts etc.

Yea a lot of conspiracy theory media don't really seem all that interested in Russia for some reason.

And conspiracy theorists don't seem at all interested in that coincidence for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Some of them will realise that alot of the stuff they have been sold by grifters is nonsense. These will be the minority however.

Some of them will consider themselves "woke" and the paranoia will linger thinking they are ready for the next big event. These are the worst type of conspiracy theorists by a long way in my opinion.

Some will be convinced by the grifters that they have won some sort of battle and it is because of their resistance that the government has "backed down". These are the most deluded ones.

Most of them will think that they have been right all long...that covid hasn't been a threat and is just another virus like the cold and flu. They'll deny that restrictions and vaccines had anything to do with limiting the deaths and hospitalisations over the last couple of years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement