Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,943 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Eh, nope

I know the difference between seasonal and permanent thanks LOLLLLLL

Does he mean they would be mandatory every winter? The problem is that requirement can mean required by law, or that they would be required, but not mandatory, in winter (because of the weather etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

So are you guys been reduced to claiming that only the covid passport will be permanent for 3 months out of the year for literally no reason?

Weird cause only a few pages ago you were claiming it was all measures going to be completely permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yeah but when they said ALL they didn't really mean ALL they really meant "all".

What's the bets when the covid certs taper off they'll start telling us that they never said covid certs were permanent?

We've already been told that the travel and gathering restrictions weren't a big deal and were never going to be permanent. How long before they flip to that for certs and masks too.

There will hopefully be a time when conspiracy theorists will be claiming that they never said any restrictions were permanent and they never thought there was a conspiracy behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

@Gortanna it's OK to be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Millions of people around the world coming to this conclusion now. Two years of their lives in the bin. Relationships with family and friends damaged.

I know someone who hasn't been near their parents because the parents are vaccinated and they are afraid of shedding :-D :-D

They have only spoken to them on video calls over the last 10 months.

Before, the parents were shielding, so in total, it's been well over a year they've seen them face to face.... they live 10 mins walk away from each other

Yea, but remember, it's the government trying to make you live in fear so they can control you.

So please continue to ostracize yourself from you friends and family who might cause you to doubt the conspiracies, and keep pledging to those patreons!

speaking of Patreons, I didn't realise the Ivor Cummins **** has a "graded" service of up to €70 a month to listen to him spout his garbage...

He's an absolute crook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

The weird part is that he has said from the start that he hopes he is wrong but still his posts also suggests he hopes he is right too.

Hopefully when this is all over he will have the courage to actually go out in to the real world without being paranoid that the government are trying to control him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

If you have no principles whatsoever, the whole thing is a cashcow. One of the 9/11 truther guys makes at least 80 grand a year from subscriptions to his conspiracy website.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The covid certification(next Thursday) and masks(from tomorrow) are no longer required in the UK. Not that there was any real enforcement of either anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I'm confused now.

We were promised on here that this couldnt happen as it was part of a plot to implement a police state/NWO/Chinese credit system/communism etc.

Really confusing.

Edit: OK getting a handle on things now.

The Swine Flu pandemic was a practise run

Covid was the 1st attempt

The 2nd attempt will be much more successful and guaranteed it'll be sooner rather than later in order to capitalize on the hysteria created during attempt 1

If you have to ask attempt at what? Then good luck!

https://twitter.com/DrAdamAneevit/status/1483736701918973954

Post edited by The Nal on

shillyshilly, I'd love nothing more than to be wrong. I have revised my opinions and changed my mind a number of times in the past couple of years. It's an evolving situation, so it's only normal that a person would think things through.

I would say I am, and have always been, in two camps. The first is the one Tony Abbott describes in the following article: Former prime minister Tony Abbott worried about health bureaucrats becoming addicted to power | Daily Mail Online. That is that life will forevermore be lived (or 'exist', if you prefer) according to how scientists and medical persons view the world, i.e. increasingly zero-risk:

"Former prime minister Tony Abbott is worried Australians may never be able to enjoy life again as the pandemic makes bureaucrats addicted to power.

He made his call just hours before both NSW and Victoria introduced a series of new Covid restrictions as Omicron case numbers soar - with one state bureaucrat even warning residents to avoid 'fun' activities. 

Speaking generally, Mr Abbott said governments could get so addicted to power that life Australia would no longer be as worthwhile.

'Any government that tries to protect everyone in all circumstance is a government which will end up wrapping people up in such cotton wool that none of us will have a real life,' he told Alan Jones: Direct To The People show on Facebook.

'We've always got to be careful about becoming addicted to a crisis.'"

We're already seeing that happening in the US: With Covid, we’ll never have a normal flu season again - Vox

"... the imperative to “flatten the curve,” to limit the spread of these viruses to stop hospitals from being overwhelmed, will be with us for a long time. But the makeup of the curve will change, measuring multiple diseases instead of one."

"Anand Parekh, chief medical adviser at the Bipartisan Policy Center, said any strategy for navigating the Covid-and-flu seasons to come should have at least four components: vaccination, testing, treatment, and masking.

But executing that plan is easier said than done. The US has struggled with some of these interventions throughout the pandemic. Deploying them annually would require a fundamental shift in how US hospitals and all of society approach the winter season. We can no longer muddle through every year and hope for the best."

Varadkar is talking about masks being a seasonal requirement. That would mean they would be required forever every winter. Is that something you would welcome and support? Would not seasonal restrictions forever make for a dystopian kind of society?

And the second camp is the Great Reset one. You may call it paranoia, but I think it's prudent to be wary of calls for wholesale changes to society, economies, and of powerful individuals calling for a permanent 'new normal'. I think you share some of those concerns (I may be confusing you with another poster who has the same avatar) with regards to corporations having a big influence on government and on government decisions, which is what Klaus Schwab is pushing for.

But, as I have said before, the one good thing about Ireland is that it is next to England. Another advantage an Irish person has is that they have English, which means they can emigrate quite easily, if they want to.

Is ay of the above unreasonable?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,943 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Concerns about the future are always valid...

However, those are nothing to do with the topic in hand

If you'd love to be wrong, why do you keep lying about things?

Why do you never acknowledge when you are shown to be wrong? Why do you flip out at people who show that you're wrong?

Why do you stretch yourself to swallow bullshit from con-artists who are claiming silly things? While at the same time, why do you ignore all of the rational explanations given to you?

Why do you keep clinging to you theories when you aren't able to explain any aspect of them and you ahve to keep shifting them around as they are shown to be wrong and silly?

In reality, you don't want to be wrong. You don't even care if you're right. You just want there to be a conspiracy that you have secret knowledge about.

All of this play acting about "wanting to be wrong" is just a weaselly way for you to pretend to be reasonable while you are also arguing that there's a secret global plan to somehow use masks in Ireland to install a global communist government who will take all private property inside the next 8 years and will turn everyone into cyborgs.

I do also like that you've again flipped about the whole "only talking about Ireland" schtick now it suits you again.

Why are you bringing up the opinion of some Australian politician about Australia published in a british news paper?

(I guess neither Abbot or the Daily Mail are part of the conspiracy?)

"I'd love nothing more than to be wrong"

Yet almost every fantasy conspiracy post is "exciting and interesting" to you here. You love this conspiracy stuff and want more than anything for it to be true. It's on the same level of someone wanting to believe Werewolves are real, lapping up every piece of info that supports that no matter how nutty, and rejecting any info that destroys the fantasy.

Looks like we'll see significant reductions in restrictions announced tomorrow...

I also would not vote classify masks in certain settings during the winter as "dystopian".

It would half a year of mask-wearing forever. Would you support it?

• Advertisement

That's not true. I have no either no interest, or don't know anything about, any of the many other topics (9/11, The Georgia Guidestones etc) on this forum.

What info destroys the 'fantasy' of masks being required by law every winter in Ireland, presumably forever? What info destroys the moves to henceforth treat the flu (see that article I quoted from about the US) the way covid is treated? The problem is that I don't think you want to concede that your opponents might have a point. You have justified the huge number of politicians, governors et al who have ignored their own rules over and over again (the latest the French politician who was so afraid of covid that he popped over to Ibiza for a few days: Calls for French minister to resign after announcing Covid protocol from Ibiza | France | The Guardian), you dismiss valid concerns about the scientification of life (such as those expressed by Tony Abbott) as 'conspiracy theories' etc. I have conceded that not 'all' measures, as brianhere believes, will be permanent. But I believe masks will be, the possibility of lockdowns will be a real one forevermore, vaccine passports (in some form, another case of my thinking having evolved somewhat), and a few other ones.

Winter is 3 months of the year... Also I really could not care less if I have to wear a mask to a supermarket or whatever, it simply has no conceivable impact upon me.

Why would we be wearing masks for 6 months a year forever? There has to be a solid and valid reason why. You don't seem to comprehend that part. You seem to live in some fantasy world where you convince yourself measures/restrictions are there just for the sake of it or ulterior motives which you can never explain.

Compulsory face masks in public places are ending in the UK, and that's during the current high amount of Omicron cases. It's understandable. Perhaps another variant may come along next month, or in the next 6 months or in a year - but for now, with the UK's current situation (which can change) they've determined there's no reason to keep them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Why would you not support the wearing of masks on the likes of public transport or shops, where you are in contact with a wide number of people, if there is a resurgence of covid cases over winter?

How does wearing a mask on a bus impact anyone negatively in any significant way?

It's completely true, you've highlighted many (batshiat) conspiracy comments here as "interesting". You've repeatedly done that.

If you believe mask wearing will be mandated forever, then why are countries dropping mask wearing mandates?

You are constantly shifting and morphing your argument all the time. When all restrictions are gone from this country I guarantee (if you haven't disappeared or made a new account) you'll be here claiming that all these measures "could" come back for perpetuity.

It's very obvious you have this bizarre fixation that measures will be permanent in some way, any way, because some nut wrote it in an internet comment and you found it interesting.

Oh yes, and to call out potential BS, don't try to weasel out of contradiction by now claiming the argument is for "Ireland only", as if we have some unique scenario.

He will try this despite quoting from some Australian politician about Australia a few posts ago.

Complete hypocrisy again.

And all from a guy who wants to be wrong.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'd have no issue in principal with guidance to wear masks during the winter on Public transport , crowded places etc. I'd also be more than happy to see Shops/bars/cafés etc. leave the sanitizer out and so on.

The positive impact that Masks and additional cleanliness has had on the typical infectious diseases is pretty clear.

Lots of data out there showing clear reductions in "regular" respiratory infections as well as gastro infections and the like due to masking and people being more attentive to washing their hands etc.

Again that's not true. Many of the restrictions have been based on wildly inaccurate modelling (see the articles about the SAGE modelling). Not for valid and solid reasons.

Do you even read posts you reply to? I said that in the eyes of many scientists and doctors mask-wearing and other measures will be valid measures forevermore (see the article about the US) when it comes to flu and other illnesses. Perfectly valid when viewed through the narrow lens of 'close to zero risk', but it would mean a restricted life going forward. Forever.

At what point do you just move on? Never it seems, according to you. Forever reacting to variants that come along (and they'll come along forever because covid isn't going anywhere) and forever introducing restrictions. If the same approach had been taken to the Spanish Flu then there would have been restrictions the past 100 plus years because it didn't go away.

And I'm waiting for you to justify the French politician's popping over to Ibiza because he was afraid of covid. Oh no, sorry, he was telling everyone else to be afraid of it while he went sunbathing and partying in Ibiza. You'll probably mention something about seatbelts.

• Advertisement

Name another country in the world with zero opposition. I was going to say 'in the free world', but that wouldn't be correct, for obvious reasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement