Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vehicle issue

Options
  • 18-01-2022 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi can someone help me please ,I have a 2010 Mercedes sprinter van that keeps going into limp mode ,I have an OBD reader and can erase the fault code and it drives brilliantly but when I turn off the engine the problem is back .I’ve had 3 different mechanics check it over but nothing is working,sensors have been changed dpf is fine diesel filter has been changed and diesel tank has been cleaned ,does anyone have any ideas of what else this could be as nobody seems to be able to fix it .I would really appreciate anyone’s feedback

thanks

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Wrong forum. You should post here:

https://www.boards.ie/categories/motors

Not your ornery onager

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Welcome to Boards @fiweldon I have moved your query to the Motors forum where you might get some helpful answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Miscreant

What code are you clearing the whole time and have you looked into what it means?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fiweldon

Thanks for getting back to me ,the machine I have is a very cheap one so it won’t even show a Mercedes vehicle only gives me the option to erase code or not ,not sure what code mechanics are getting sorry ,because there doesn’t seem to be any problem with the engine do you think it could be an electrical problem,when I erase the code it goes like a bomb ,is it safe to continue doing this do you think

thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Could be a vacuum leak or something.

Were the mechanics you used not able to scan for codes?

• Advertisement

Hi thanks the mechanic also thought a vacuum leak but it wasn’t ,what ever code they got brought him to the sensors which he changed ,he’s now asked someone he knows to maybe check the electrical end ,he’s actually annoyed he can’t find the issue ,could it be the Ecu panel or am I saying that wrong 🥴,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The code would be handy to know.

Did he mention anything about it running lean or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

The code only gives a very general idea of the issue. I could be anything - a frayed wire, a single corroded or bad terminal in 40 pin connector block, a dry solder joint on a PCB, corrupted software, etc.

Often these types of issues are very difficult to resolve. For an older vehicle, a bad connection or frayed wire that could be fixed in 5 minutes with a bit of tape, simply cannot be found without expending an unreasonable amount of time in labour. Very often this leaves an otherwise good vehicle a write of for scrap. I scrapped a Kangoo van with less than 100k miles on the clock because of an intractable intermittent electrical fault that just couldn't be pinned down without a labour cost that wasn't a large part of the van's value.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

Oh my god thanks for being so honest ,we’ve even spent money on turning it into a Campervan

• Advertisement
Advertisement