Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What should I ask for? New job.

• 19-01-2022 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I have recently been offered an interview for a new job. On the phone, the person seemed extremely positive and interested. I am coming from a teaching background, where contracts are set by the state an not negotiable. This job is vastly different, so I want to know what I should expect/ask for if I am successful?

I would be working from home full time, with occasional travel to business headquarters (not sure how often this is). I would be in frequent contact with a lot of stakeholders, as well as designing resources and designing and delivering training programmes. I would also be in charge of distribution of resources. I am wondering what should I expect on top of a salary. Is it too much to ask for a company phone and computer, or am I expected to use my own (I use my own in school at present, but that only because the ones the school has are so painfully slow). Is there any additional allowances for working from home? Anything else I should expect/ask for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If employers expect you to work from home they should provide the necessary tools.

They should be giving you a work laptop / desktop. This is from a security and productivity point of view. If your currently using one owned by the school then you dont have a laptop as you will be giving it back.

Many employers will also pay the cost of broadband and phone bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Home worker here, paid broadband, an office setup including standing desk, chair, laptop + additional screen, printer, phone (or soft phone) and a contribution towards electricity would be fairly standard. My company also pays for a mobile phone.

I presume you’ve got the healthcare, pension and all that hammered out also? If you don’t ask you don’t get.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭LittleBrick

Thank you for your reply! Going from the advert they provide a pension, gym membership, and some form of "wellness". They make no mention of anything else except a competitive salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I take it you're not giving up a cushy teaching job to go work with this lot who regard gym membership and "wellness?" As big swinging perks?

I'm interviewing for the position, and if I get it will weight up pros and cons. I wouldn't be leaving teaching indefinitely, just taking a career break to try something new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Ask for the salary band and go on the higher end, negotiate down then if you have to.

It's your only chance to get what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭Tow

In this day and age is would be forbidden to use your own computer, in most medium/large companies. Most would also provide VOIP phone(s). These range from hardware desk phones to soft (ware) phones which run on a PC and Mobile etc. There seems to be a move away from giving mobiles, there is no need unless you are on the road a lot.

Needless to say all this requires decent internet and only use the work computer and phone for work!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I can give you a few pros if you wish. Teaching- pensionable job, bar you assault someone in the school or get caught robbing the place you won't get sacked. You certainly won't lose the job for being completely incompetent. You will start work later than most and finish earlier than pretty much everyone else. You will have holidays that other workers can only dream about. The cons? Well many teachers are still distraught over the fact that young healthy teachers were not allowed jump the vaccine queue ahead of pensioners.

Cons: The general public holding attitudes that mirror your own and being slated for things continuously in the media; dealing with parents such as yourself that have nothing but disdain for teachers; not being able to do your job properly due to ever increasing class sizes and a lack of resources.

Thanks for your reply! This seems to be a very small company, <50 employees at present, but at least I have an idea of what to expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Jesus people get so triggered at the mention of teachers.

OP, if you can get a career break, you'd be mad not to explore it.

To answer your questions;

• They will issue you a company computer. If you're going to be travelling or are required to be contactable outside office hours, they'll issue you a phone or (as in my case) will pay for your own phone bill.
    • Pension, gym membership and health insurance would be pretty standard in many office jobs in tech/finance/pharma. In my job we also get life insurance and dental insurance.
    • Definitely ask about bonus - this is something you would not be used to but is the standard in private industry. Depending on your seniority, I would expect 15% as a baseline and go up from there. Be sure you understand how it will be calculated. If they're offering stock or stock options, this is definitely attractive.

I moved from public sector into private sector (pharma) 7 or 8 years ago and let's just say it's an eye opener in terms of how much cash is available for stuff.

Obviously your holiday entitlements will take a hit...

I take it(although it's possible)that you're not teaching English as nowhere in my post did I express disdain for teachers. I notice that apart from your uneasiness about dealing with parents you didn't disagree with any of the points I made!

Even more amusing is the number of people who "get so triggered " when the perks of being a teacher are mentioned. I notice you left public service- but not teaching- to go into pharma.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

It is interesting you don't spot the negative inferences people see in your description of teaching. It may not be your intent, and although you raise some valid points, it does come across that way on the whole.

Using cushy could imply people don't work hard. Describing job security in terms of criminal behaviour and incompetence, while not incorrect, suggests a rather dim view. How do we know what time individual teachers really start or finish - some may be layabouts, but some arrive early, stay late, and do more work at home prepping/marking etc. Lesson plans and homework corrections don't do themselves. I'm sure there are some young health teachers still holding vaccine order grudges, but to brand this the only con of what can be a tough job despite the perks, seems to me, at best, a joke in poor taste.

Maybe it can be hard to resist an opportunity to get a dig in if one is so inclined.

OP: I've no idea the going rate for specific your role. In smaller companies perks as a standard can be less. Check the level of pension contribution (it will be very unlikely match the civil service IMO). It might be worth ensuring you look for a good base salary if you are giving up lots of good things. Having said that the company's willingness to invest in in-house training does imply a desire to grow and support staff development, etc. Best of luck.

The pay for teachers that have joined the profession in the last few years is actually pretty poor. Starting at €36k.

You have a permanent pensionable job but you wont be able to afford a place to live at current market rates kind of money.

Work in the private sector and you can be on double that pretty easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

What kind of private sector job starts at €72,000 for ~9 months a year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

And lots don't, 36k is a decent starting salary in lots of areas and with lots of companies. PLenty of jobs paying well under that, it is in fact pretty close to the median so what most people will earn on average over there lifetime.

As regards the OPs query, ask for a laptop, broadband paid and company phone as a minimum. Anything else needed you will find after set up and just ask them for it.

Thank you. That's why I am looking at alternate jobs, I can't get a mortgage anywhere. This job pays about 10-12k more than I am currently earning annually, and might open up other doors. If not, I can go back to teaching afterwards. (That's my thoughts anyway. Don't know if it's the right decision).

its an employees market out there, plenty of jobs , promotions and ways of earning more in the private sector that dont exits in teaching

The OP is taking a calculated risk that might pay off and if it doesnt they have a nice safety net. Fair play to them for taking that chance because few would risk the stability teaching provides.

• Advertisement

Advertisement