Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric Boiler Vs Heat Pump

• 13-01-2022 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Currently have a gas boiler on mains gas, the boiler is the original so around 2007, tried getting it serviced last year and the boiler service was refused as no parts are made anymore. Expecting it to give up any day now have been looking at options.

Obvious answer is replace it with a very efficient new gas boiler. A heatpump is such a jump in price plus to get full benefit I would need to change my radiators.

Are electric boilers now an alternative? From UK sources installation and cost to purchase seem comparable to gas. I like the idea that they are silent too as our boiler is in the kitchen and although it is not very loud it is noticeable while we are watching TV.

For context our gas bill for the year is about 450 euro and this does our HW and central heating. The standing charge alone is about 100 of this so thinking an electric boiler may be viable? We have a day night meter so could set it to heat up the house a few degrees higher in the early morning at approx 11cent Vs the 5c on gas.

We have an EV so my other concern is would the electric boiler max out our standard supply while the car is charging? Would an electric boiler be heavily penalised on my BER Vs my neighbours staying on gas?

Just looking at ways to reduce our fossil fuel dependence other than with a heatpump so pleased to hear peoples though.

6.96kwp South facing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Stick with a high efficiency gas boiler. Don't believe the hype.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

To be honest, I think the Irish grid is just too dirty at the moment to be considering an electric boiler as a method to reduce fossil fuel usage. As I type, the gCO2eq/kWh figure for the grid is 396. A condensing gas boiler is in or around 220. I appreciate that is isn't particularly windy at the moment, but given the current SNSP limits, the grid rarely falls below 220gCO2eq/kWh. The situation is different in the likes of France where nuclear makes up a massive proportion of the base load. Things will improve here as more wind/interconnectors come on stream.

As regards your options, electric boilers are available but the instantaneous power requirements are so large that they are impractical on single phase supplies. I would be looking at solutions such as Sunamp and Tepeo to allow you to charge the device over night (at lower power for longer) at cheap rates and discharge during day as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Thanks guy’s, I think I’ll stick with the gas boiler and might upgrade the hot water tank to a very efficient one. I just need to get it in my head it’s not too bad a fuel to use currently at an acceptable install cost. My heating use is low anyways so I might upgrade the doors as they are very draughty and once I have all that done see how I’m looking. Probably the above and a small PV system would be better use of my money than just a heat pump.

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭idc

@Fantana2 recently saw news article about high temperature heat pumps which can be used as replacement for oil/gas boilers as they heat water to 60-80 degrees thus no need to replace radiators. A dutch company releasing a new model which would be suitable for netherlands, uk, ireland as we all typically have homes with oil/gas boilers and high temperature radiators

No idea how much they cost or how good or not they are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

OP - I posted a similar query a while back - See thread here : https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058215445/heat-pump-alternatives#latest

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Daikan seem to have a high temperature model now: Altherma HT Installer brochure_8pp_Artwork.indd (multiscreensite.com)

not sure how expensive it would be to run one of these vs oil/gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

Definitely more expensive and probably lifetime would also be lower, but for someone like me who has a gas boiler and a well-insulated oldish house which doesnt require much heating , it may well turn out to be more affordable than a full retrofit to accomodate the standard heat pump. In any case I'm happy to see these alternatives being made available as a lot of households wont be able to justify cost of a heat pump.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah it's definitely appealing to not have to completely gut the existing plumbing. We would love to get rid of the oil altogether when our boiler eventually gives up the ghost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

You can get a new gas boiler and gradually install new plumbing and low temp rads over time. This may potentially make your gas boiler more efficient. You can then get a heat pump down the road when it suits.

Advertisement