Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shear grab protection at barrier

Options
  • 19-01-2022 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Most winters I end up cutting a cow/bullock/heifer with the shear grab. Most of the time it's just a slight nick where they puck the open shear grab but we have had one or two cases over the years that needed a vet callout.

They are standard diagonal barriers on both an open and closed slatted shed. I could drop the silage block 3ft out and close the grab and push it in but that takes time, as a part time farmer I'm usually in a hurry to go to work, collect kids, get dinner etc.

Does anyone have any ideas on a simple blocking mechanism to stop the heads going out at feeding time?

I'm thinking of some sort of gate/mesh hinged off the top of the barrier that could be opened/closed quickly.

Has anyone done anything similar? Or any alternative ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I drop the block out from the barrier and when the next block is on the grab, push it in with the grab closed, then drop the next block.

Other option is drop the silage above the the height of the barrier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

There was something on here years ago, Possibly in the gunthering thread, (I looked first few pages but can't see it).

Man was makeing light mesh sheets, in a light frame on a pully, that he could wind up and down fairly quickly, across the barrier.

He was useing bale spike but his passage way was very narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Drop your blocks at a safe distance and once all there push them in then. Could get a pusher to so that job as it would be faster and save the grab as well. Have one here which is like a snow pusher, just a blade at an angle and drive on straight and it pushes the silage to the side. Be done in 30 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭JCB1

Good idea on pushing in with the next block, saves the time taken to close/open the grab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

This is more likely to happen with diagonal barriers as cattle can put their heads out higher and straighter. Not so feasible to change them to horizontal ones that force their necks lower? As some have suggested, I drop them higher than the barrier and usually at a 45-degree tilt at first so that c. 2/3 of the block falls out immediately. Then drop the rest a little further on with a bit of vigorous shaking of the grab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

A bit time consuming, but a light field gate can be tied along the front of the pen you're placing the blocks at, and then pulled onto the next pen, and so on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Exactly what I do. No need for the silage to be left in neat blocks, feeding every day it won't spoil anyhow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

That's how we do it never an issue and dosent add 10 seconds.its more dangerous to take away the waste than feeding g out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭cjpm

Do the same here. Push in the first with the second when the grab is closed. Open grab and reverse then to dislodge the second and so on. Wouldn’t dream of going near barrier with the grab open.

Also if you’re shaking the grab vigorously your not doing your loader or tractor any favours.

Advertisement