Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EVCP installation from the meter box

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,460 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Interesting. I had my install done as such in 2018 and got the grant for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

I heard they changed their mind again after this publication in March 2021 and it's now no longer allowed. I have not seen it written down, but lots of installers have said so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If its really not allowed anymore you'd think they would send out an official newsletter retracting the previous one otherwise it would be grossly misleading.

The Mar '21 newsleteer also said

"Following representations from ESBN, NSAI/ETC/TC 002 has also agreed that in existing installations, it is now permissible to connect an EV charger at the customers meter cabinet... "

So, its not even a SafeElectric thing. ESB Networks have agreed to it and they own the meter cabinet, so it seems odd to me that a U-turn was done. I'm not even convinced a u-turn was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

It's worded oddly. I'd read "new installations" as new meter cabinet installations, not new charger installations, because it says "in new installations where it will always be possible to run cables to the distribution board."

Then in the FAQs on page 11-

Can I take a supply for my car charger from the ESB meter cabinet?

NSAI Electrical Technical Committee TC 002 have agreed to allow EV chargers to be connected at the meter cabinet for existing installations. 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It was clear enough in the newsletter....

"... agreed that in existing installations, it is now permissible to connect an EV charger at the customers meter cabinet..."

"While the ideal connection point for these chargers will always be the main internal distribution board, this development will provide a solution in situations where it is difficult or impossible to run cables back to the customers distribution board"

So, the idea is that if its an existing installation/house and its too difficult to run a cable back to the DB you were allowed wire it from the meter box. If its a new installation/house then you were expected to wire it back to the DB as you are running cables back to there anyway. It was very much geared towards difficult existing situations.

Thats all very clear really. They seemed to go to alot of effort to get this clarified, written up and pictures and diagrams given etc that it seems unlikely to me that it has been reversed without some official notice retracting that Mar newsletter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭innrain

it seems March 21 is the last newsletter. At least last one published online

To me it looks like they recommend it as last resort only when the traditional installation is impractical. So REC deems the trad one suitable but the customer "knows better" cause they saw on FB it is possible. And the rumours spread. My speculation.

Advertisement