Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After hours is dying

• 17-01-2022 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Current affairs/imho stole it's thunder

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

Your ma stole its thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That's mad, heard it was both your mothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Most forums are dead. Current affairs now reads like the comment section in the journal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Ah I'll have to create a couple of controversial threads in order to stir things up again! Thanks for the reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

Even Current Affairs is all Sinn Fein bots smashing any opposition. If Moderators don't get a handle on them then the site will die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Atari jaguar.

needs a poll

• Registered Users Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I’m having my breakfast Kate 🤬

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Aye it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

The whole of boards is dying , its not what it was in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭wally1990

It seems like it alright, I wonder is it because of the new update??

The old version was better in my opinion ,

Reddit is much better eg r/ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Everything/everyone dies eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭thefallingman

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Boards.ie is a very interesting site. It's not an echo chamber in any direction and there are a variety of different opinions and perspectives here. I have used a few forums and boards is the best general discussion I have seen. A lot of the mods are strange folks as is the case with most people who are willing to work online for free, but it's definitely a site worth checking in on. Doubt it'll die any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

jesus its a cespit. everything tends to end up somehow being about the government/vaccines/SF/FFG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

r/ireland?

Absolutely full of the hard left types.

For example there was an image posted there hating landlords. Was something like "so I pay my rent to someone who does nothing who then uses that to pay his mortgage" and it was the most popular post that day. They don't realised landlords pay tax on income and that there's lots of costs, maintenance that aren't paid by tenants and the biggest advantage to renting which is flexibility in choosing where to live.

The sub is full of yanks too. You'll see comments which you assume are Irish people and then they'll give it away by saying sidewalk or awesome or something like "we don't have anything like that over here"

The r/ireland sub gets shown on r/all a lot so you'll have lots of yanks wandering in from there. When it happens the sub is grand with it but for example during the abortion ref any yank with an anti abortion stance was accused of brigading the sub. But when it was a yank who was pro abortion it was fine.

The mods are the most power hungry people I've seen on the internet. They kept removing the video of the time that young black lad stabbed the irish lad because of "violence" yet they'll leave any "violence" towards the left they'll leave it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Yeah I don't care. AH is where the trolls and journos eak out their sad online existence. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Your example about Reddit reminds me of the water charges days when people used to say "WE ALREADY PAY FOR WATER" or "MY CAR TAX PAYS FOR MY WATER"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Relikk

Hopefully people are getting tired of that cohort of humourless bores that constantly brand people as angry, misogynistic nerds that are allowed to run rampant on this forum with impunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,016 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's because every second thread is some fanciful imaginary story posted by a first time poster and usually designed to bate. Either that or some argument that has been had over and over just with a new thread title. You can just look at a title and know straight away everyone who is posting on it and what "side" they are on. It gets pretty boring.

It means that when you log on the trending page is full of shte instead of interesting conversations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

I dont like the format of Reddit, unfortunately, Boards seems to be letting itself fade away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

Any thread appropriate for current affairs should have never been allowed to be posted in After Hours to begin with since they are basically anti-craic vampires designed by windup merchants to exhaust you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've been using it more and more lately but I really do dislike the format, they just don't feel like discussions - more like articles posted which people sticking up their fleeting thoughts, very little discourse (mostly agreement) and then it's gone.

Ya but that's what after hours used to be all about.

Look at he "do men need a license" thread. There will be no craic or real debate and we all know straight off the bat what direction it's going to go and who is going to be driving it there.

Anything involving Britain, The North, gender politics, race or Sinn Fein all have the their obsessed few posters shouting the same thing across multiple threads and subforums and make it a boring shouting match. The exact same stuff every thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Reddit isn't what it used to be.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

Lol knew from the title it wouldn't be worth looking at.

I'm not going to actually go back and do a survey of threads but I feel like you would get more threads that prompted people telling interesting stories and persepctives rather than just opinions. This is is me probably thinking at least 6 but probably closer to 8 years ago though.

Not really interested in 'debates' as such. Its a college kids idea of what an interesting discussion is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I signed up to this site in 2005, I have vague memories of it being a lot more light hearted back then. I had just turned 20 when I created my account and had been browsing the site prior to that as a teenager. I don't think this site or anything like it attracts that kind of demographic anymore, possibly has something to do with the posting style changing.

I think the internet in general has become very shouty over the past 15 years too but that's possibly just rose tinted glasses/getting older and changing what I look at. 2005 was before smartphones and social media was in its infancy, I'm guessing the internet was predominantly populated by a certain type of user too (nerds) unlike today.

Post edited by Royale with Cheese on

Looking at the type of threads I'm talking about and the language used Im blaming the USA for a lot of the shte we have to listen to politics wise on Boards these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Bring back Mr. Fegelian I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Shut your face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement