Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

breakup of relationship, house selling options

Options
  • 15-01-2022 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

not for me thankfully, but friends of my parents have broken up (not divorced) and the house is a bone of contention..

mortgage is paid off

one has the means to live solo and hasn't lived in the house for years, while the other doesn't work and lives at the house on disability allowance.

solo person wants rid of the house and cash for retirement... happy to go 50/50.

person living there obviously doesn't and want 100%.

can you partial sell to the council or something along those lines...

I know, easiest option is to sell and disability person to move elsewhere, but that appears to be something that won't end too well...

on the relationship note, say if they were to divorce, could it possibly be more detrimental to solo person?

as crap a situation it is, I find it quite interesting from a problem solving perspective

Comments

Probably more appropriate to post on the Separation and Divorce forum.

Any kids still in education?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

They both own the house but only 1 person has the advantage of this asset. notwithstanding health issues etc, this is patently unfair.

So the person in the house could rent rooms and give this as monthly income the other person, so that they get a regular income from their asset. then sell later & split the proceeds. Not split the income 50/50 the bulk of it should go to the partner who doesn't get any benefit from the asset - not the person living rent free.

Otherwise sell the house now and the disabled person applies for social housing. Given the disabled person view that as the worst outcome, rent out a room or two and provide some benefit to the other person, who quite frankly is being taken for a fool.

I agree with all the above, and it has been explored. However, person in house wants to keep house and not move, but doesn't want anyone else there.

I think person out of house feels sorry for person in house, and as the money isn't currently needed, is happy with status quo.

However, this can't be long term. What would be the way of forcing a sell, if they are both "owners"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

What would be the way of forcing a sell, if they are both "owners"?

Divorce would be the legal mechanism.

However for self help he/she could try moving back in & refusing to leave. As a co-owner he/she is entitled to do that. With him living his life on the house the other party may be more agreeable to a long term solution. But as long as they have the house to themselves rent free, why on earth would they agree to change the arrangements voluntarily to a less favorable arrangement?

• Advertisement

unfortunately, it's not an option. Person in the house has been known to bend the truth and allegations have been made previously....they also alluded that they would do what needs to be done to keep the house however way possible...

so probably best for the other person not to set foot in the place.

Divorce isn't on the cards either as there is lots of stuff to lose on both sides if it goes down that route....

it's not a clear cut... hence the query of are they able to just sell their share of the house to the bank/council/whoever?

They can't sell without the consent of the joint owner. They can't sell just a share in the house either.

They need to go the legal route and formally separate, and seek a property adjustment order be made in relation to the property as part of the separation/divorce. There really isn't any other option.

No idea what way a judge would rule on this, given the person in the house is obviously not in a position to get a mortgage for another home. The only hope really is that their share of the equity after the sale would be enough for them to buy a new place.

that's sort of the conclusion I had come to... but others were suggesting different... hence the query

Thanks!

Advertisement