Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2022 (BBC / Eurosport)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

That must be soul destroying for Robbo, I mean what a fluke by Williams, he did well to clear up but still what a slice of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭AyeGer

The older guys are still a force in the snooker. Williams looking good here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Williams changed his mind on the black and caused him to miss?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Robertson holding the composure. Only 4-5 behind now. I am hoping for a decider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Williams follows up one of the best shots of the tournament with one of the worst.

• Advertisement

Great entertainment that was fair play to Robertson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I wouldn't be too apologetic if I was Neil, Williams had two enormous flukes to win two enormous frames, that fluke in the final frame to get to snookers required was outrageous luck, Neil for me was the stronger in the latter part of the match and deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Absolute heart in mouth stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Damn! I turned this off when Williams was going ahead 4-1, 5-1? I thought it was over. I just turned on to see Robertson being interviewed. Sounds like a match for the ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Couldn't believe it when I saw Williams getting down to swerve around the green, it looked too close to me but thought he knows whats he's doing. I thought he was destined to win this match but not so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I like Robertson but disappointed to see Williams lose. Fantastic match and an amazing final frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Fully deserved for Robertson, Williams didn't really make a decent attempt at that red going across the table and knew it couldn't be replaced.

I think that's kinda cheating.

You should watch it again. Even though you know the result you will be laughing watching it. All sorts going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Really disappointed to see Williams lose that!

Yeah I see what you mean but at the same time it was in his interest to hit it and get it away from the black so idk if he was actually cheating but just being careful he didn't pot the black so erred on the side of missing the red altogether rather then the other side where he could have potted the black.

I was thinking about that if Williams really wanted to cheat. He could have just forced a miscue or feathered the white.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Especially after the amazing escape from the safety earlier clipping the red free when it looked a certainty the black would go in. Then to try and play the swerve past the green. Madness.

I was wondering if Williams could have pot the black and red at the same time. He would have given 7 away but Robertson wouldn't have had the red for points with a colour. Probably wasn't possible but interesting hypothetically anyway.

I thought the red gets replaced in that case? Or am I imagining it. Maybe some snooker rules guru can explain that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Love Mark Williams, such a normal bloke, shame he lost but what a fantastic game and Robertson seems sound enough. Could do without Shaun Murphy in the studio though, really don't like him.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

No I don't think so. Reds are never replaced I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Not in the John Parrott/Marco Fu league I'll grant you. Feathering the cue ball would have left him no better off. And a mis cue would have looked terrible.

It something bbc pundits are not going to mention as they are forever going on how sporting snooker is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 headspin2

hope to god trump loses tonight least then i can watch it tomo

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oh. My. God.

What a match, and what a final frame!!! Just finished watching it now, having stop-started all afternoon.

I really thought it was a nailed on win for Williams (I'd say he did too!), he was so strong in the early frames.

That red/black/pocket exchange was the most tense snooker i can remember in a long time (granted i haven't seen a lot for a good few years).

Robertson looked so emotional after, I'd say he'll sleep well tonight (if he's not long- term traumatised!)

Between losing the red/black safety battle, the fluked red from middle to yellow pocket, and then needing 2 snookers, that's some mental strength he showed to keep going and believe he could do it.

Fantastic match!

Williams unlucky, but well done to Robbo.. Probably deserved it overall, coming from 5-3 down.

This 'sporting' craic in snooker is annoying though.. I do think it was a half-hearted attempt by Williams myself though, but it didn't look too bad, and he got reasonably close.. Ref could hardly say it was a deliberate foul there..

I wonder how many of the backroom qualifying games for tournaments, that have no cameras, see players 'declare fouls on themselves' that the ref missed 😋

Likely every time a player feathers the cueball, or his cue comes into contact with a ball other than the white, or he or an item of his clothing causes a foul; and this goes unnoticed by the ref, there's at least a 95% chance that the cameraman caught it, and, in turn, at least a 90% chance that a pundit/commentator/TV viewer also caught it...

'Sporting' - yeah right... There's little to no (practically zero) 'subjectivity' in the snooker rules (apart from the 'miss rule' - where subjectivity is almost never employed by the ref,,, default position applies, and if the player fails to hit object ball, a 'miss' is called 99% of the time) , so can hardly call it a 'sporting' game in comparison to 'other sports' like soccer.. golf probably the only sport that this sort of 'sporting behaviour' can be legitimately compared to, imo...

I reckon if the player thought it would go unnoticed, there'd be a lot less of them declaring fouls on themselves; but what harm, as long as the ref is there to keep the player/s honest, and s/he usually clocks 90+% of them hard to notice fouls , thus making the player feel he'll be 'rumbled' regardless; which in turn will cause him to call the foul on himself.

Mon Bazza! A 6-4 win I predict 😊

WHAT is the deal with all the flies in the arena??? It's like they have a compost heap or a bag of rotting rubbish behind the hoarding or something!

It's the middle of winter ffs, how are flies even alive?

What was McManus on about the table surface just there? I thought the surface was fairly standard - have they introduced some new tech cloth?

The cloths must be way more reactive than the ones in snooker clubs; that presumably only get changed once a year, at best,,

Don't know where all them flies and wasps are coming from.. must be something to do with the venue...

Great escape by Bazza - Wotta shot!!

Straight into the cagey, tactical safety stuff..... both looking a bit nervy so far

• Advertisement

Hawkins needed to win that to make a game of it I think. Great blue.

Fecking Ken just said it after I typed it. I refuse to rewrite the first line!

Advertisement