Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expired licence - Can I drive? Insurance valid?

• 13-01-2022 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

My licence is coming to the end of its Covid extension in 3 weeks time, I went online to arrange a renewal appointment and there is no appointments to be had in any of the centres in my own county or anything within a 100miles, I have checked them all. I cant renew online as I don't have a mywelfare account nor will I set up one either, the licence would issue with an 8 year old photo anyway.

If I contact them would they give me an earlier renewal date? In the old days you could walk into the motor tax office and even then later the privatised centres but now every single thing is hiding behind the shield of covid as an excuse to avoid doing a tap of work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

It's a 21st century. Also, it's getting more expensive to maintain public offices. With time we will see most services going online. I'd encourage getting a PPS card and sorting a license renewal online, if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Leaves it until three weeks before the licence expires and then blames others.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Three weeks yes plenty time, it is a driving licence not a pilots licence for an A380, shows the absolute inefficiency of uselesssness and bloat in the public service here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

It’s best to just contact them and see what they say. Why won’t you set up an online account? It’s fierce handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭denismc

I just renewed my license online in under 5 minutes, the facilities are there, you just refuse to use them.

• Advertisement

And then get a driving licence with the exact same photo as my Public Services Card which is a photo from 9 years ago, my appearance has much improved since those days. Or is there some mechanism to upload a recent photo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I cant renew online as I don't have a mywelfare account nor will I set up one either.

Three weeks yes plenty time, shows the absolute inefficiency of uselesssness in the public service.

Like someone just said, they renewed their licence in five minutes. You complain about the inefficiency of the service, but refuse to use the efficient way of using the service.

Who cares what your appearance used to look like? You don't have to show your licence photo to everyone you meet.

A licence thats looks almost fake won't cut it in other properly run countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Don't drive the car without a licence. If you get caught you'll get a conviction and your insurance will skyrocket. You've been told how to renew your license but are doing nothing but griping since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Any insurance policy I've ever checked says once you have or had a licence and are not banned from having a licence.

The online system is very good to be fair.

Use it to ensure you have renewed in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

U need to renew it within 3 years of expiry or else you need to do the test again 😮

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It was the last time I checked, but that was a few years back.

Why would a legal driving licence not work in other countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Try adding some dipetane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There's a huge difference between driving with an expired licence and never having had a licence in the first place. Driving on an expired licence is considered a very minor offence and it can be expired for 10 years before the need to re do driving test/tests. When you hear about motorists convicted of driving without a licence it's because they never had a licence or are driving while banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Imagine caring about the tiny thumbnail photo on a piece of plastic that you never look at 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It takes a lot more than 5 minutes to setup your PSC and it requires an in person interview to verify you MyGov ID. Unless you are getting some form of payment off the government there's no need for the majority of people to have a PSC. It's a not an efficient system if it only makes one part faster while having a lot of extra work involved in getting your ID verified

That said leaving it till 3 weeks before something expires is leaving it tight.

I could be wrong, but I think I verified my MyGov ID without an in person interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I sense a strong feeling of self-entitlement in this one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You once held a licence

so covered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Whether you would be insured to drive depends on the fine print in your insurance policy. Mine insures me once I have a current licence or held one within the last 10 years and am not disqualified. Some may be more restrictive and require a current licence.

Driving without a current licence is an offence. If your licence out of date by a year or less you could be convicted and fined up to €1000, if your licence is out of date by over a year the fine can be up to €2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Cerco

I verified my MYGOV ID too on-line. I did have to attend for my PSC where photo was taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Cerco

Op,

check NDLS site frequently for appointment as there may be a cancellation, especially in these COVID times.

Try early morning and late at night too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sell your license to a friend and then buy it back. The arrears will be wiped. Wear a hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

correct but if your license lapsed long time not covered... i have 5 years in my head...

anyway thanks OP as i need to start the process as mine ends May...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

This is terrible advice. DONT wear a hat, as that way you can't be arrested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭zimmermania

This is correct,while it is always an offence to drive without a licence it is is not a serious offence particularly in the current climate (covid).

I have always had the caveat quoted above on my insurance cert so once you have held a licence and you are not disqualified drive on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I renewed my PSC by emailing for an appointment, I received an email back asking for my PPS number , I received a new card 5 days later with my older pic on it.

I renewed my license by selecting a centre , attending , getting photo taken there and new license issued within 10 days.

OP drive your car in reverse for a couple of weeks , everything will go back to the old days for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

No no no, it's the guard that needs to be not wearing the hat.

Do people know nothing any more?

Sheesh! 🙄

It seems from earlier posts that the OP does indeed have a PSC, so the online renewal option is open to him but he doesn't want to use it because of the picture that will be on the licence.

I'm not sure that would wear as a defence of not having a current licence.

OP, just renew online. If you're that precious about the picture get it done again in person with a new picture when things have settled down and offices are freely open again.

(FWIW, I renewed mine in person in an office at the height of covid restrictions, so it is possible. I could not, however get an appointment to see a doctor at the time to get a required medical report, so I've temporarily lost some categories, so I'll have to go back at some stage and do another application to get them put back on).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..... or simply turn up without an appointment and they'll place you in a separate waiting area and call you when they have a 'no show'. I'm not sure if it's the same in all centers but that's what they were doing in Santry the last time I was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can renew if it's expired less than 5 years for a learners permit or 10 years for a licence. After that time you have to start again with theory test, EBT/IBT, N plate/tabbard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Hi did u have to upload a photo when you renewed ,?

I'm not seeing it anywhere so far on the online renewal, I'm at the end uploading medical report before payment

Cheers

I renewed like for like, so I didn't change the photo at all even though my current photo is over 8 years old.

• Advertisement

Thanks so how did they get the photo for new licence

Did u have to post the old licence in ?

No everything is online, essentially you are getting your old license with a new expiry date, I bit like when your bank card expires.

Ok I'm still lost tbh I'll probably ring them

What I'm trying to grasp if if you dont give them your old licence where does the photo come from on the renewed licence

It'll probably all be clear after I upload the report and pay I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It comes from your verified online public services mygovid profile based on your public services card.

If you don't have a public service card valid, or haven't got a verified mygov profile, you cant renew online.

https://www.mygovid.ie/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Cheers ya I'm in a panic with this so don't want any screwups

I'm doing it through mygov and have the PSC card

So there's no pic needed just upload the medical report and pay ?

I assume also they have the address on file

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I havent done it yet but that sounds as expected - will use your photo and address from mygovid / psc.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

So first of all this is the link I used,

Just follow the instructions, if your Licence is more than 3 months out of date you will have to go in person to the NDLS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

There was no photo needed when I renewed online recently. I assumed they'd re-use the photo they'd taken at the NDLS centre (mine's almost flattering), but they used the one from getting my PSC card. I now have the same rather horrible photo on 2 cards, from way back when I didn't know quite where the camera was or when it would shoot (trivial, I know!).

Just to add that should you get an email afterwards re a missing document(s), with a 'details' link that doesn't work, don't bother replying to it to ask what documents - just ring their helpline ASAP.

It's the first time I've renewed online (having finally managed to get fully registered on MyGovid after years of trying), I answered the questions then uploaded photos (both sides) of my over-70s medical report. Or rather assumed I had (coudn't see any sign of whether they'd uploaded ok or not, but thought that was just the flaky MyGovid software).

I then got that email, with the broken link (just a generic icon meaning 'picture', that had no effect from my Android phone, or from my Windows laptop apart from an 'url not found' error. I hadn't a clue if the medical upload had failed, or if they were waiting for some other document that I didn't know about from the scattergun guidance. I replied to that email (twice) asking what they needed, and wasted about a week waiting to hear.

I then gave in and rang the helpline (not easy here with a weak mobile signal). Second time I tried, there were only 4 callers to go, so I hung on. The very helpful and patient person I got was able to look into my case, and tell me it was the medical report missing. They instructed me to post it, spelling everything out carefully (and checked that my queries were resolved before ending the call). The new licence arrived about a week after posting the report (in my case meaning only 2 or 3 days without a valid licence).

I didn't want to take up extra time asking them if it was just me getting the duff link. But judging from the lack of reaction (e.g.surprise, or 'What browser?' and so on), I'd guess not.

Doesn't sound promising kinda , what I feared with these systems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Sorry - didn't mean to put you off! I expect it usually works (and it's very quick, even over my slowish connection). It's probably just that if there's a software bug somewhere I always seem to run into it!

And where it could cause a big problem for some, and looks elementary to fix, and there seems to be no channel for alerting the organisation to errors, I find it particularly rant-inducing. (Same with instructions that obviously haven't been tested on someone who doesn't already know what to do and in what order!).

Advertisement