Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 days Thailand

Options
  • 08-01-2022 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi. Looking for some tips advice on 17 days in Thailand.

Day 1/2 - Bangkok (arrive 14:00 day 1)

Day 3 - Train to Chang Mai

Day 4/5/6 - Chang Mai

Day 7 - Fly to Islands

Day 8-14

Day 15 - Travel back to Bangkok

Day 16/17 - Bangkok (Deapart at 23:00 on day 17)

How does the above look? The main questions I would have are.

1 - Is 3 days enough in Chang Mai?

2 - Have I enough time in Bangkok. Could consider adding a day at the start and cutting it at the end.

3 - What way should I do the islands?

Even though I have listed the above I am open to a totally different route. Any 5* star type hotels are welcomed aswell. Happy to spend 100-200 a night and if someone could fire out something crazy nice I would spend a bit more for one or two nights.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I have not been to Thailand yet, but hope to in the next couple years when the kids are a bit bigger. However, with 17 days why not go off the beaten path while over there. Air Asia are a great airline and very affordable, why not fly to Luang Prabang in Laos for 3 or 4 nights? Exceptionally beautiful country and LP is on the Mekong. Unbelievable waterfalls (even I was amazed) and an amazing experience. With 17 days, you could spend 10 in Thailand, 3 or 4 in LP and another 3 in Siem Reap etc.

Sorry I couldn't be more help to you, just thought I'd give a suggestion or two.

Jesus........all I want is 'happy hour' in Lanzarote...... them 2weeks in Puerto del Carmen june2019 seem like a lifetime ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I did an almost identical trip 10 years ago and it was a great mix, you won't be disappointed ted with that. Chiang mai is a bit more chilled out than the islands (partying) and Bangkok (all round craziness). I wasn't a huge fan of Bangkok and a couple of days were fine.

I would also look into a place called Pai which is nothing and on the Burmese border that people go to from chiang mai. Never got to go myself but everyone we met raved about it. If I was doing it again I might cut the 6 days in the islands to squeeze that in, but you won't go wrong with the trip you have planned

Not sure when you are planning to go but there is a national holiday in April that is essentially a national water fight that might be good craic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Without knowing what type of traveller you are it's hard to give good advise.

By that I mean are you travelling as a couple or solo? Are you looking to relax or go to party islands etc.?

I would personally skip the train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and get an internal flight.

Also what time of year are you planning to go there? Seasons over there are very different it's typically rainy or dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Travelling as a couple in early 30s. We are not looking for a crazy night life but would indulge on occassion.

We are going in June.

It looks like we realistically have to choose between the islands on the east and west aswell.

• Advertisement

Ya, think this might be a good idea. Probably Vietnam/Cambodia if we went this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Yeah, I was at a wedding in Malaysia a few years ago and a few of us went on to Siem Reap for 2 nights, Luang Prabang for 4, Hanoi for 3, Hoi an for 3 and Ho Chi Minh for 2. Well worth it. Luang Prabang was the class, Siem Reap was an eye opener (Angkor Wat is something else) and Hanoi was great. Hoi An was disappointing.

You have so many options, but as someone above said it depends on what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Are you thai? Or have you been approved for entry already? Are you vaccinated? If not, I dont think you can do this as flying into BKK, you have compulsary quarantine. It is a very fluid situation there and it is evolving rapidly.

Phuket is a holiday destination and they have special arrangements there, but you cannot transit via BKK, it has to be a direct flight.

Take a good close look at the regulations but they are changing rapidly. At present, I am 99% sure you just cannot do this, although I would be delighted for you if I am wrong. They have a scheme called sandbox but this will prevent your plans.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/weekly-updates/updated-thailand-entry-requirements-test-sandbox-program-quarantine-program

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

As another poster pointed out check entry requirements and also the weather.

I would minimize time in Bangkok and use them days elsewhere. Treat yourself to a nice hotel there for your entry and exit from the country. Spend more on getting a suite in a very good hotel than a standard room in a more expensive 5* hotel.

On the island's you need to pick the ones that suit what ye are into. I really enjoyed Ko Lipe small quiet and scenic. Have heard good thinks about Lanta as well but have not been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Bangkok is always "do less time there" but I did 3 days first time and 7 days next time. There's so much to see and do. Didn't do any of the islands but over other trips took in Chiang Mai (loved it), Hua Hin (the beach without heading to the islands, perfect relaxation, met the Queen!!) and Pattaya (avoid at all costs).

• Advertisement

The trip is in June. I get it is rather complicated right now but I feel comfortamble enough in gambling that the world will be in a better place come June.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Best of luck. Make sure you get a refundable flight. I do notice there are mulitple hotels REALLY cheap in thailand at present. Check out secretflying.com and holidaypirates

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You'd be mad to go to Thailand for anything less than a month.

Seriously, cancel that plan / trip. Re-plan to go when you can go for a month.

We spend approx. 1 month in Thailand every year (pre covid) and we still see new stuff every time we land.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Bangkok is a nice city although getting up towards the palace area can be difficult. Go up the river on the boat. If you need formal work clothes this is also the place to get them. Keep your wits about you in the evening time and don't be tempted to do something dodgy for the experience of it (stay out of ping pong clubs for example. They will rob you).

Phuket is nuts with the islands a bit more laid back. If you want to try scuba diving Thailand is the place.

I haven't been to Chang Mai which is a regret.

Enjoy your trip. Learn a few words of Thai and you will be treated like a linguistic genius

A month is just not a runner. Pushing it with 18 days.

It is myself and the girlfriend going so unlikely we end up anywhere too dodgy.

Lebua at State Tower and Marriott sukhumvit on the shortlist for Bangkok currently.

Il check out those two sites, I do watch them from time to time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Lebua is seriously over rated as a hotel. Go to the rooftop for an overpriced drink (look at Octave for high end but affordable drinks, especially between 5-7pm daily for 2for1 cocktails). Marriot Sukhumvit is where this bar is located. Lovely hotel right next to BTS. You won't go wrong there.

My preference for Bangkok is decent rooftop pool. Check out Hotel Icon on Sukhumvit 2. Only 8 stories high but rooftop has excellent views and is very relaxed. Our preference when in BKK. That said, there are nice hotels along the river if that's your choice but can't recall any rooftop pools.

If by the river make siure you stay on the East Side especially of you'll be out late at night, much easier for taxis etc

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

When are you thinking of going OP?

The latest iteration of the Thai "Test & Go" program will be formally published on Wednesday and requires mandatory PCR test and overnight hotel quarantine on both day 1 and day 5 of your trip.

So that is effectively 2 days/nights of your trip written off, and you also need to be in a position to check in to a quarantine hotel on day 5 so can't be too far off the beaten track. This testing regime also effectively rules out any side trips to Laos or Cambodia as you would need to repeat quarantine on your return

Hopefully they will relax things in the future, but having just spent 10 days in mandatory quarantine for failing my second PCR test, i would have second thoughts on travelling there until they relax the requirements

June, kind of hoping that things will be a fair bit better by then. I know it is still a small gamble but you have to take a chance.

I have more or less tied down everything

Day 1,2,3 - Marriott bangkok sukhumvit

Day 4,5,6 - shangri la chiang mai

Day 7,8,9,10 - The Village Coconut Island Phuket

Day 11,12,13,14 - Sai Phi Phi Island Village

Day 15,16 - TBD Bangkok

If anyone has any big negatives on the hotels let me know. I still have a small amount of flexibility.

Internal flights are still something I need to figure out. Any tips appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Hi

I don’t know about CV19 restrictions. However June is not a good time for the islands. The monsoons will have started and I’m not sure if sailings are restricted. We were in Tarutao a long time ago when the Island was only accessible for 6 months of the year (November to May ). Also You sure about 4 nights in Phi Phi? Li Pe is a great island as someone above suggested but it again might be affected by seasonal sailings ( Li Pe is beyond Tarutao & same ferry serves both islands.

As someone else says avoid Pattaya no matter what. It’s a Kip. I’m also not gone on Koh Samui. Found it incredibly boring.

Before You make final arrangements You really must check out the entry status ( virus Wise ) & seasonal sailings to the islands.

I love BKK never tire of the metropolis. Anyhow best of luck. I hope everything works out for You

• Advertisement
Advertisement