Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycles and apartments

Options
  • 14-01-2022 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Is there any way of owning a bike while living in an apartment?

Flats are normally small, so no way of having a bike inside the flat. Not sure if there would be space in the hallway either. There might be a small space outside but I think it might be for the bins.

Do indoor car parks have spaces for bikes at all? Or is that a silly thought?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I live in a two bedroom apartment and right now there are four road / gravel bikes and two folding bikes all in the apartment. I'm also married. I'm lucky in that three of those bikes + one of the folding bikes can squeeze under the stairs and while they don't look great, they don't get in the way. There may be places you didn't think of where you can fit a (clean) bike in the apartment - under the stairs, top of the wardrobe, some cupboard that is never used etc.

Depending on the hallway and the building, this may or may not be a problem. If you don't see bikes there at the moment then I wouldn't rely on this option without first verifying that this can be done.

Outside is not a great option for leaving a bike overnight, not just for security but also for wear and tear.

Indoor car parks could be a good option depending on the bike. Just make sure there is something very solid that you can lock the bike to with a decent lock. Even then, nowadays bike thieves have battery powered angle grinders which will cut the vast majority of locks in 1-2 minutes and indoor car parks tend to be an ideal place for them to go about their work undisturbed. I'd happily leave my runaround bike in a carpark if I had one, not one of my more expensive bikes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Used to live in an apartment and kept my bikes on the (covered) balcony. If I didn't have that space, I would have kept them in the hall. There was a bike room in the downstairs car park, but I wouldn't have left anything down there as bikes were stolen from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ARX

Advertisement