Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garage window reveals

Options
  • 09-01-2022 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to tidy up window reveals in garage that was never plastered internally. I have loads of architrave left over from house build so was going to use that but blocks would need to be plastered first over window straps etc. Is there an easy way of ensuring it look rights at corner joint of main wall. Any ideas or better suggestions for what I'm trying to do? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭caddy16

Will give one bump to see if any help out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

The architrave sounds like a plan but if it was me I'd get some angle bead and a bag of bonding and just plaster the reveals. I'd be giving the window straps a spray with a spray primer first to stop them showing through. I'd give the blockwork reveals a coat of PVA first as well to ensure that your bonding sticks well. If that went well I'd go the whole hog and buy a bag of skim! I'm not a plasterer btw! Far from it. I just think plastered reveals look tidier and are a better job in the long run.

Thanks and that's a fair point. How would you finish out from the angle bead on the main wall, edge it up to a 2 x 1?

I thought you could just taper the bonding back from the beads and leave it until you're plastering the rest of the walls internally? I presumed you just wanted to tidy the reveals for now. Again, I'm no plasterer so sorry if I'm not making sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I cut 15mm mdf strips and stuck it to the inner reveals with expanding foam, then pinned on the architrave and painted.

Very quick way of finishing the windows without having to plaster.

• Advertisement

That looks class! Fair play.

Ah that seems a very good idea! Is the expanding foam pretty much just covering the window straps allowing the MDF to sit neatly?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I cut the mdf to size, layed it flat, put two runs of expanding foam along the length, pushed it into position against the block work then leveled and wedged it into place with pieces of 2x1. You could also drill a couple of holes and plug and screw it into position then remove the screws once the foam is cured.

If you start with the 2 sides and cut them slightly shorter (the thickness of the mdf e.g 15mm) than the actual reveals, you can then push in the head piece and they'll help hold it up in position.

Excellent, thanks for that will give that a go.

Advertisement