Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gear adjustment help please.

Options
  • 14-01-2022 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

Hiya. Im totally new to cycling and am after a bit of advice regarding my gears. When my bike is in the highest gear, the chain rubs on the selector of the front gears. Not all the time but it does rub as I pedal. If I push the lever to select a higher front gear slightly it will stop. Bearing in mind that there is no more gears left to select. Is it possible to adjust the cable to let the selector center itself over the chain or will this cause another problem?

Sorry if the terms I'm using are not correct or if this is posted in the wrong place.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

Shimano? Half pressing is called trimming in that case and is actually a function of the left shifter. But if a new bike sounds like a trip back to the shop is in order for a free first service. It takes a few km for cables to bed in and a first service will look at adjusting those things that need adjusting after the first few km's

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you cross chaining?

Don't mix the biggest rear cog (or two) with the biggest front and same with the small front & rear cogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭tyrone03

Thanks for the replies guys. It's not shimano, it's microshift. It is a new bike actually but it came from Wales so won't be able to get a service there. Would you recommend Halfords for a service?

Cross chaining....yip... looks like that's what I'm doing...! So prob better not to use that gear then? Otherwise its fine no noises from the gears chain area. I was using it for downhill to get speed up but I guess the next one will work as well.

Thanks guys

Would you recommend Halfords for a service?

Was the bike bought in Halfords? Personally, I wouldn't leave my bike in Halfords. Where are you based because there are loads of reputable bike shops around who can do the job for you.

No it was bought online from Tredz. I'm in Tyrone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Do it yourself. You don’t need special tools ( a good work stand would be nice).

Agreed. There are plenty of videos on Youtube e.g. GCN @ https://youtube.com/c/gcntech

Bike stands can be got from Lidl or Aldi when they have their bike special-buys. Tools can be bought cheaply on an as-needed basis.

You're very unlikely to need to do a massive job just yet. Most initial maintenance will be straight forwards.

You can DIY a stand if you need to get the rear wheel off the ground for tinkering. The sweeping brush across the back of two chairs. Pop the saddle up on the brush, bit of tape to stop the brush moving.

Not that I've ever resorted to such tom foolery myself mind 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

No need for a bike stand at all. Tons of YouTube videos will explain everything you need to know. Park Tools ones are well made but there are loads of others.

I actually would love to be able to do bits myself but am a bit wary incase of mucking it up! Have tools and that anyway but a stand would be nice...must keep a check in Lidl. Thanks for all the help guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 pk998

I personally would not go near Halfords with a ten foot barge pole for anything related to servicing a bike. Go to a reputable LBS and have them give it a once over!

Advertisement