Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What's with signatures suddenly appearing at the bottom of posts?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm on mobile so never saw them, I thought someone had a brain fart at the end of their post earlier. 😂😂

I like it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭mk7r

Its just a poorer user experience, forums that could be accessed in a flash now take click click click click, there is also less forums visible so less chance of people getting randomly dragged into a forum that piques their interest while browsing.

You did say there were problems, such as the speed (easily fixed) and forums not being added automatically (should also be an easy enough fix with a small script) but the new way is by far worse.

I absolutely know it is not a competition to drive people away from the site but it does sometimes seem like it with the choices made, it seems like there is no UX experience on the dev team at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭trellheim

All the last years of boards I needed to get from one forum to the next -> hover, mouse, click, done.

You've taken something that wasn't broken, no-one wanted the hover to change post-vanilla and then decided "y'know what, we haven't broken stuff enough now its 5 mouse clicks e.g Train and Rail Systems forum and waits for pages to load ", Hurray

Boards is not fun any more

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It wasn't broken, but for those who didn't want to use the hover menus (eg me), they were a monumental PITA - if the cursor so much as glanced anywhere near them the screen filled with ever-expanding drop-down menus.

However, the solution wasn't to nuke them altogether (although I'm personally glad they're gone!). Just delay their deployment a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

(Jayz, I dislike the new quote/reply system... when you are replying to something later in their ^ post, no one can see it, unless they opt to scroll down in the reply menu, and lets face it - no one would do that), hence this:

trellheim said ^up there (he really did, I'm not making it up): "Boards is not fun any more"

You aren't kiddin, trellheim!

Some of my favourite old boardsies can't use (and/or can't be) bothered with Vanilla's defects and limitations :(

Post edited by Deja Boo on

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

During a conversation with a user yesterday who was havibg trouble with their signature, I discovered that sigs were automativally switched off on the mobile version of the site. I've switched them on to see how that goes. You can update your own preferences for seeing or not seeing sigs in Signature Settings if you would rather not see them.

On Mobile, go to Edit Profile then scroll down to Signature Settings

OK I have removed that from your Followed Forums list for you now. I just had to change some settings on the category to allow it to be unfollowed and then changed it back. Sorry about that :)

• Advertisement

Talking to the team about this issue and they reckon it is more than likely whatever ad was loading was insecure (being served over http instead of https). Can you confirm if you've only seen it on the homepage or any other pages and also how often it has happened? It might help in trying to track down the ad.ad unit causing the issue. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

OK thanks, I see it is removed for me. But that was just an example. Others users will likely have the same issue, where they are unable to Unfollow legacy Forums.

Is there a reason why you can't keep Unfollow as an option on parent forums?

As a suggestion, I'd keep it as an option so that users can keep their list of Followed Forums clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I've pretty much gotten used to the new site now.

I still probably don't browse random subs as much and stumble upon threads of my interest as like what I used to, but site I find grand now. Just wish there were more users posting on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I notice the post time is now visible for posts made before today, which is great to have back 👍

I'm not sure why anyone would be following a parent category that had no threads of it's own but maybe people were using it to bookmark a forum to visit? I wouldn't imagine it's a widespread issue though.

The reason I cannot leave the Follow/Unfollow options there is because Vanilla handles these parent categories differently to vBulletin. On vBulleting, a parent forum only hosts other forums, no threads. On Vanilla, everything is a forum capable of hosting threads unless you lock down the permissions so if I leave the category open, users can (and will) post in it but there is already a separate Computers & Technology forum. Does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

No problem - it isn't a common occurrence but I will keep an eye out in future

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭xtal191

Any news on a dark mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A browser dark mode add-on is a good workaround in the interim.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

No, it's not on the cards at the mpment but I will ask about it in a meeting later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Can you get something done about "draft saved" popping up within five seconds of me trying to post a reply? It's gone ridiculous again.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

As a way to celebrate my 100 post milestone :-) I’m back with questions which I can't find in the FAQ...

• How can I find my individual posts (not the thread bookmarks)? 
    • Why is Search still broken? More often than not when I switch the sort order from "Best Match" to “Newest” I get 0 results.
    • What’s the deal with the star rating system? Everyone I can see is 1-star and so this is a waste of screen real-estate. Which neatly brings me to my favourite....
    • Can you offer anything in way of hope that the white space might possibly be reduced at some indeterminate timeframe? Was there no CMS target that could promise a cleaner layout?

• How can I find my individual posts (not the thread bookmarks)? Go to 'Comments' - this will have all of your posts. To see threads you have started, go to 'My Discussions'. To reach these on mobile, go to View Profile and then scroll to the links at the bottom of the page where you will see a link to Comments. On desktop, go to your profile and select Comments from the end of the list in this menu:

• Why is Search still broken? More often than not when I switch the sort order from "Best Match" to “Newest” I get 0 results.

This is a known issue and search is still being worked on. There should be some updates to it this week or next with more still to be done.

• What’s the deal with the star rating system? Everyone I can see is 1-star and so this is a waste of screen ror neeal-estate. Which neatly brings me to my favourite....

This is to do with ranks and roles and still needs to be tidied up. It's not top of the list at the moment.

• Can you offer anything in way of hope that the white space might possibly be reduced at some indeterminate timeframe? Was there no CMS target that could promise a cleaner layout?

I can't really say for sure what will happen with the space except that it is not something we are specifically looking at right now. Sorry.

Guys I have removed some posts about Odhran there and the replies to them - this is a feedback thread for the new platform. Speculation about what Odhran does or doesn't do outside of being CEO of Boards is not appropriate.

He'll be back on here to post an update himself later today or tomorrow.

Thanks.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi folks and Happy New Year to you all.

For those interested in how I put food on the table … it’s not from Boards. I don't pull a salary. We had to put money in to keep the lights on ... and will have to again. This is not my day job. I have a few of them and they pay the bills thankfully. Im starting to sound like a broken record at this stage but once more….

Boards.ie had and has zero funds. It was out of cash and no reserves. It makes no profit and is loss making. We had two options - shut it down or keep it going. We decided to keep Boards alive and I still believe it was the right thing to. Boards has a valuable place, and more to say in Ireland's online story. So lets move on and do that.

Over the last few months we have been successful in reducing cost and are starting to stabilise revenue. We will be pushing out some partnership agreements soon that we hope will also help boost revenue... In a world of ad blockers and more we cannot rely on ads alone - something I have also said before. We will roll out with a few of those asap and see how they go.

I am going to share some stats below but the good news is that the numbers are going up. The stat that is most encouraging is our new user count which averages at about 75 per day. We will start sharing some key monthly KPI's so we can all measure traffic.

The Q&A feature is starting to get a bit of traction too and we would hope by making this more prominant on site we will get more engagement especially from new users that are not as familiar with how things work. We will also be making the contribution details public per below.

We will also share similar stats around whats busy / growing etc.

So we will look at pulling some key stats end Jan and we can all monitor each moth from then.

Left Nav

We used to have a mega dropdown which did not work. That has been the case since the first one that was put in place. Way too many categories and sub/sub/sub categories. While some might not like the new left nav... for the volume of categories we have its difficult to get around. We could do better around naming I think to make more discoverable - but an alphabetical list for a large amount of data makes it easier to find. I would like us to start looking at some of the naming conventions and will talk about that again.

Niamh will share good news we hope on some important tickets raised here shortly.

Thanks a mil

Odhran

• Registered Users Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is the option to subcribe to Boards going to be reintroduced?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Yes we definitely will be bringing back subscriptions. At the moment it is messy, if you really want to, you can subscribe directly via PayPal but then need to let me know your transaction ID so I can add you to the subscribers group.

• Advertisement

Guys the TRENDING TAB on the desktop homepage is back up and working - no more July content for another six months. Sorry it took so long, despite being an easy change in the end it required some wading through a lot of parameters and functions to get to what needed to be changed.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement