Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IX3 vs EV6

• 12-01-2022 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

We've made up our minds (or at least I have!) to become a 2 ev household so we'll be moving on the 530e and keeping our I3. I've driven the ID.4 , EV6, Ioniq 5 and IX3 and I'm down to a short list of the IX3 and EV6. I toyed with the idea of the model y but all the reports of the poor ride have spooked me - an uncomfortable 70k car would cause a mutiny in the household.

My head is saying go with the EV6 in GT line spec (assuming I can get one this year) given its 20K cheaper but I keep coming back to the IX3, it really was a lovely drive , plenty of usable power and good fun to drive despite being an SUV. However, I can't help feeling its a compliance car and perhaps won't hold its value as well. I wouldn't be going down the PCP road but I see BMW have set the gmfv at 39K which seems optimistic (or maybe not).

The EV6 surprised me with how nice it was to drive (although not as good as the IX3), steering was a little vague but overall a really great drive and loads of kit and space as well.

All thoughts welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The EV6 in GT line is about €58k on the road? You say the IX3 is €20k more, so about €78k? Very decent budget but also a lot of money you are spending straight from your hard earned savings. You seem a bit unsure, maybe wait it out a bit longer and see what's in the pipeline for this year? It's a lot of money to commit to for a car you will likely not even get for another 6-12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

I have driven the Ioniq5, ID4 and EV6 briefly, the latter definitely was the best IMO, although its definitely more Car like. Ive only sat in the iX3, subjective I know, but the Premier Edition was truly awful in the flesh externally, and I believe there are any amount of them available to buy today if you wanted. What's more is there is a facelift LCI that is infinitely better looking externally, only available in M-Sport or MS Pro, couple that with upgraded interior also and you can see anecdotally why the Premier edition are still sitting on forecourts. Perhaps there is a large discount to be had, I dont know, and I dont know the lead time either of the LCI Model. However, I was interested in the LCI until I read that it is rear wheel drive only with a braked towing capacity of only 750KG, so that was me out. Premier Edition or EV6 and pocket the cash, yeah I'd pocket the cash. I do really like the facelift, different story if it fits the bill. One other thing to note is that its on a 'vary' architecture, primarily for ICE by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 179club

I am going from years of German cars to Kia EV6. I tried Skoda Enyaq but you have to option everything which you will never get back when selling. ID4 very good but sales man put me off. Telsa model Y to bloody expensive and misleading pricing on website. Hyundai Ionic 5, to long a wait for model I wanted. Plus SEAI grant on Kia even though it is listed at 60345. If you like German stay with them I4 series looks to be the business. Hope this helps.

Tesla Model Y is a lot cheaper than iX3. Also if you like the German cars, did you not consider Audi etron 50/55? That applies to the OP too. And how about an i4 - seems a decent EV too from the reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ricey3509

Yes, not keen on the premier edition , so if I go the IX3 it will be the LCI. Rear wheel drive only doesn't bother me at all, I've no need for AWD or towing.

• Advertisement

Yeah , fair point. I suppose I've mentally made the decision to leave the 530e and I like to get my plans squared away. The I4 would definitely be top of my list if I didn't have kids but its just too small and tbh that's one of the reason's for selling the 5, the compromised boot size is proving annoying and my wife would much prefer a crossover / SUV to a saloon.

EV6 is more a hatchback than a crossover and i4 is a hatchback, not a saloon. Albeit too small if you have 3 kids for sure (unless they are young / small but not needing full car seats anymore)

Not trying the Audi etron? Good car for travelling in as it charges fast and consistently. Personally I would also wait on Model Y and test it myself. All those reviews we have read from the UK / Ireland and most of europe were based on this one red Model Y on Dutch plates - that did the rounds amongst every single car reviewer - and that had a harsh ride. A different choice of wheels / tyres could very well change that considerably

Yep, aware they are both hatchbacks but ev6 is close enough to an SUV to pass the Mrs test! 3 kids and they are well out of car seats (and growing like weeds) so the i4 is a non runner

I'm in the same boat, 3 teenagers, so something like the i4 is just too small for us too (have Model S myself)

EV6 for sure is a large car. Was driving behind one at Liffey Valley yesterday and it looked great. Pity they only sell the larger battery (much more expensive) version in Ireland or I could have been tempted to take it for a serious test drive myself. Maybe I still should.

Tbh I didn’t seriously consider the etron, l sat in one when they first came out and while it’s a lovely car and it certainly fits the bill for space, the Ix3 is cheaper , has more range and l suspect drives better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

EVs are heavy cars with different weight characteristics compared to ice cars and just don't offer the same drive and ride quality yet.

Just price up tyre replacement for your prospective car as it will be a more frequent cost for you. Again weight.

etron 55 from €74k, iX3 from €64, but you mentioned €78k? Either way, doesn't sound like an awful lot in it, probably depending mostly on the spec you want

I've never been in it but iX3 might be pretty small for 3 growing up kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Etron 55 would be my pick unless you can stretch to a full fat iX , in which case I'd prefer that

I'm a bimmer fanboy but I dont like the iX3 as it's a compliance car not a full EV from the ground up

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

When you look at the figures, the IX3 is heavier than an X7 !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

There was a time when a BMW that was 20k more than a Kia would undoubtedly be the more desirable but that has changed here in my opinion. Kia better looking car. It prob wont have the same interior quality as the BMW but thats about it. Its not as if the BMW is going to be the ultimate driving machine either with a big SUV body and battery weight. I am sure its a very good car but wouldnt be anywhere near my wish list at that price. Kia would be, and I am a german car fan all my life.

It's a sea change. Also a German car fan here, particularly BMW. When it was time to replace my last BMW (5 series straight 6 petrol), there were no 6 or 8 cylinder petrol BMWs to replace it with. Only cancerous diesels. And same for Mercedes, Audi, even looked at Jaguar.

So I bought a brand new Hyundai EV. If anyone had told me a year before that I would ever own a Hyundai, I would have laughed at them. It was an economy car. Certainly not premium. But that was 5 years ago. And now, as you say, alternatives to German cars can be even more desirable than the likes of BMW, Mercedes or Audi. The Kia EV6 is a good example. Better built than anything from anywhere else in the world too, including Germany or Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭carsfan2

BMW iX3 Review | CarsIreland.ie - YouTube

Sinead from Cars Ireland now prefers the iX3.

First line of her review!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Why fixated on a new car, a well priced 2018 Model S would blow that competition out of the water.

For me though, it looks like the EV6 is the pick of the bunch, if Tesla opened up the SuC network then that is the one I would be going for

I guess the overwhelming majority of people in this country in the market for a car costing €60k or more go new and PCP. This in itself is quite shocking and the likes of above Sinead saying about buying an expensive car that seems out of budget: "in this day of PCP anything is possilble". Reckless financial behaviour / advice, if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I’ve test drove an IX3 and have sat in the EV6. I think the BMW may be a little bigger overall with the full SUV body, bigger boot at least.

Very nice interior, but also very traditional BMW, which I think some people will prefer. I think I actually prefer the pre LCI version of it too with old school climate knobs.

As an EV the BMW seems quite competent, good range and efficiency, one pedal driving, apps etc.

The IX3 is actually priced quite well in the X3 range, a regular X3 starts at 65K and that would be without some of the IX3 equipment. So for someone looking at an X3 the EV seems like the best version. I did like the lack of options on the EV version too, just include everything, a nice break from the usual Germany car experience of it starts at X price but seats are an optional extra. Maybe that’s because it’s made in china as the made in Germany i4 has lots of options.

I didn’t really need something that big so decided against it.

if I had to choose between the two and money was no object I’d probably prefer the BMW.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the feedback. Model S is too big, had one for a test drive a while ago and had issues getting it into the drive and my wife just felt it was too unwieldy for some of the country roads we drive fairly regularly.

IX3 definitely the better overall car but can’t justify the extra spend so I’m leaning towards the EV6. I also watched Nobby’s video on the earth model last night and I’m thinking now I should just get that one and save 5k. Of the extra kit, it’s really only the 20” alloys that would really push me towards the GT line. HUD (which my 5 has) and ventilated seats aren’t essentials, just nice to have.

Agreed. If there was a €39k on the road EV6 (same price as its sibling the Ioniq 5), it would be a superb proposition

The EV6 is about 3cm wider than your 5-series BTW, you might want to check how that goes on your local country roads. But indeed, Model S is another 7cm wider and there it starts to get more problematic. That said, you get used to it very quickly. Only really a problem in some of Dublin city centre tightest multistories (my wife agrees although she was weary of the width at the start)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I’ve heard the GT Line is almost impossible to get for 2022 at moment so that may push you towards the earth spec too.

Someone mentioned there may be discounts on unloved premier pro IX3. So I had a look at Colm Quinn, they have a 212 model for which they wanted 75K(edit - Just to correct myself, I found the old docs, with tow bar and delivery and service packs added it was 77800 total) six months ago, can be yours today for 80K!

Post edited by dloob on

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Hah, this is funny, but not funny.

If money wasn't an issue at all, and I didn't care about the towing, yeah I think i'd stump for an LCI iX3 MSP, black shadowline, black/dark wheels, frozen grey colour and I think its lovely car, but no way that premier edition. There is a lot of normalisation going on with Car prices, scary stuff. Fine big boot also, regardless of edition. I think on paper, they are not that different in volume, but in the flesh the BMW seems a lot bigger, anecdotally.

OP here again and there has been a change in thinking! I sat down with my wife on Friday night and we went through the candidates again and came to a slightly unexpected conclusion - we didn't really need a large car, our eldest only travels with us very occasionally now, so for the majority of trips we needed a comfortable 4 seater with an option for 5. The only deal breaker was it had to have a least the same boot capacity as the 5 for weekends away with the family.

So, armed with our new thinking we all headed off to sandyford on Saturday with a boot full of luggage and ended up leaving with an order in for a model 3 rwd which should be arriving in March (I'm not holding my breath on that though!). Interestingly, with the seat in a comfortable position for me there was slightly more rear legroom than in the 5. We could get one of the carry on bags in the underfloor area as well so that tipped the balance towards the Tesla on the storage front. Kids loved the glass roof as well.

So I'll be migrating over to the model 3 thread in the near future - thanks again for all the replies on the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭eltoastero

The M3 has a surprising amount of storage space available, that under boot-floor cavern it a fantastic space, good choice. Anyone that I know that has ordered a M3 has had a reliable delivery experience. Enjoy the superchargers, I'm not jealous I swear

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Congrats good choice I've 3 kids 10 to 14 years old and plenty of space in the rear of the model 3 and loads of boot/frunk space for luggage, the RWD is actually good value with the bigger battery and real world over 400km of range for 50k and also they're quick enough too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Congrats you won't regret it, fantastic car 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Great decision.

• Advertisement

If you can live with the restrictions of a Model 3 (bit tight in the back for 3 growing up kids, no hatchback), then it is a great choice of car. The SR+ for under €50k is a bit of a bargain and there are very few bargains out there when it comes to EVs...

Like the others said, you will not regret it. I couldn't live with the above restrictions myself, otherwise I'd have a brand new SR+ on order myself right now...

Advertisement