Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

When we were calving January, a few days days indoors on straw, cows and calves then outdoors onto a crag. Calves had access to a straw bedded hut sectioned off from cows with el fence. Cows fed on a concrete hard stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,028 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ask him can you try your way for a week, actually don't ask , tell him. Is it you doing the donkey work or him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I’ve seen us forced to move calves out of the calving pens after a day if feet are peeping out of another one. As long as you have plenty of straw down and somewhere for the calf to go he should be ok but I do worry about them on slats. We wind up tying up gates or a bar diagonally across a pen and have 3+3 in there or 2+2. For that to work we need to be able to let lighter cattle out or else use the cowshed. March can be manic swapping about along with the calving. If weather plays ball you can get a few out. Last year they had to be brought back in after about 10 days. Trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

Has he tried it before and learned? He is not wrong on what he is saying. Calf’s on slats are increased risk of getting hurt. We have always been lucky but have seen a calf go flying and get knocked with cattle fighting (cow that calved been reintroduced as an example) or bulling. Touch wood.

But 9 weeks is mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Had the first calf of the year yesterday morning. A heifer had just calved when I went to check her at 7, I had checked her at 4 and she was lying down chewing the cud. She had a heifer calf which is the first by the weanling pbr Shorthorn bull I bought in 2020. The calf was up in 10 or 15 mins, the heifer is fierce quiet (the only reason that I kept her as she had repeated many times to AI) and I just helped the calf find the teat. A nice red roan heifer calf. I'll fire up a pic in the next few days when it's daylight to take one.

8 calves born now 7 sexed Friesian heifers and 1 not sexed fr bull

Post edited by whelan2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

My wife is always a fan of me telling her “I checked her 2 hours ago and she is calved and all now, how come woman make such a big job if it”.

Really goes down a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

They have to use the waste product from the sexed semen somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have Angus and Hereford stock bulls too. Friesian bull was slaughtered before Christmas as he was a bit mental

I’ve yet to meet a man that had a fr bull that wasn’t a dangerous bastard. Why is it? They say the jersey is an even wickeder hooer

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭golodge

Just had the first calf born this evening. A nice bull calf from a mature cow. Weighing tomorrow, but seems to be around 50kg or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Just back in from a calving. A €240 ebi FR4726 sired calf, but it's a bull. 2nd calver and all is well with her so the bull calf is a minor issue. 5 calved, 2 fr bulls, 1 fr heifer, 1 limo bull and one BB bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Second calver calved yesterday evening. She had a great calf last year and she’s a big cow now. But had a rat of a calf. Loads of milk and very disappointing. Handled her as was sure she was having twins.

Did she gave a hard calving last year. Friend pointed out one time that whatever it is about nature, the body reacts and subsequently produces a smaller calf the following year. Always comes to mind when a small calf is born and remember she had a hard calving the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Nah, she was an autumn calver (September) and she calved outside on her own, never left a hand on her or the calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Never heard that before but it makes sense for a second calfer I had last year. She had a fine heifer the first year but it was a hard calving. So I put an easy calving bull on her but her calf form last year is the poorest calf I have. (Others out of the same bull are fine). Must keep an eye out for that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭RD10

Had first calf here last weekend, a nice fiston heifer off a shorthorn cow.

Great to be able to get them out with the bit of dry weather at the moment.

Anyone have twins scanned this year?

Am sure I've a cow here with a set of twins inside her, will be 3rd year running if she does.

My own vet scanned her last year but said he wouldn't be able to tell me if it was a single or twins.

would certain scanning machines not be able to pick it up or is it down to the vet? He's a very good vet, hence why I'm wondering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭tanko

There are very few people who can see twins when scanning from what i’ve seen, i think there’s a pretty short window to pick them up, i don’t know what stage this is at tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It's because they have no fear of humans due to the fact that they are reared by hand on a teat feeder/bucket so they become accustomed to human interaction - their siblings would have either been squeezed or slaughtered at up to 24 months.

Does that explain the aggression though? From what I’m told you couldn’t have one about the place. Long time since there were fresians about here but we never kept a bull. The beef bulls would all have a lot of handling and human interaction too. I suppose

there might be such a thing as a quiet fresian bull

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Beef bulls are reared by their mothers so in a way, manners are put on them from a young age. They quickly learn their place in the pecking order. If you keep your distance from a beef bull and never make a pet of him, you've a much better chance of not getting attacked.

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Ha aye their mothers or a fresian friend! The pecking order might be a big factor though yea. That’s good advice, my granduncle always said ‘never trust a bull’ and it’s the truth. Personally I like to keep a cow between me and him, especially if he’s facing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Most of the deaths that occur in farming with animals are from cows protecting their calf, this thing about bulls is a red herring, yes you shouldn't trust them but the reality is, a cow is far more dangerous, especially around calving.

They have to hear and know your voice, especially if you occasionally wear different coloured or brighter clothes. They are supposed to be colour blind but I don't believe they are.

First backwards calf earlier, Friesian heifer calf out of a heifer. Jacked it out. All good

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Pecking order is a thing, bought in fr bulls always seem to be more aggressive, any we've reared once thye hit the first winter have been put in with a few culls or incalf heifers or the odd time an AA being kept, as much to do with space as anythings,so have never had the chance to be the boss of a group their own age. Touch wood thats the way it has been. Still you have to know where they are, i throw paint up on their backs when they are with cows or heifers and out the gate at the first sign of acting the bollox. Reason I have them last year is I bought two fr bulls for the price of one AA.

Advertisement