Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Range distances

Options
  • 11-01-2022 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Hi guys....just looking for people's thoughts on this.....driving ranges.....what do you think the % difference is between the distance you are achieving on the range off mats using range balls obviously and what this would equate to on the course with the same swing but higher standard ball......

My local range now has trackman so i can gather great information from a range session but obviously you wouldn't use these figures as your stock yardages as the ball and maybe even hitting off mats is a big factor.

My sense from say a fitting session and my figures from my garmin seem to be pointing at maybe 5 to 10% difference....

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

Read somewhere roughly 10%. and that's with good quality range balls. If they have trackman I'm imagine that'd be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Yeah place with trackman have wilsons and spawell have srixon so both probably not too bad as range balls go....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Pretty sure in the TopTracer bays in spawell, you can set it to correct for the range and it adjusts distances by 10%

Ah ok, the trackman app has a "convert" function too which bumps the distances up 10% also so i guess that's what that's doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Tom Ghostwood

Ive all my stock yardages based off srixon range balls with garmin g80 launch monitor. No % adjustment added. I just hit enough balls and did the maths to get the true average yardage for each club (disregarding very poor strikes - but counting average strikes aswell as good strikes).

Ive had no issues on course with the yardages and provs in play. Worked great for wedge matrix gapping also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Different ranges uses different balls, some will go the full yardage where others will be limited. Usually depends on the range length but quality of ball will effect the numbers aswell. And gouges or flattened dimples will affect carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Pretty sure it's defaulted on in the spawell. Can't remember exactly, as haven't been there for a while, but think you select it on the touch screen in the bay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Yeah anything I can see online indicates toptracer have it auto on at ranges. The odd time I'll get a real ball in the basket and my ball speed increases by 5/10mph.

Makes sense if 10% is being added onto those as well and not that I'm PGA level with real balls.

I wonder does the real impact depend on your swing speed.....all the talk is of reigning in the ball but i think the counter to this is that its only really pro's with their swing speed that the high end balls really get a massive benefit from so no need to change for the average golfer....if you apply that to range ball/course ball, i wonder if the % increase in distance between the 2 increases with swing speed....so if you have a moderate enough swing speed, 90-95mph driver, the % difference might be significantly less than the % difference for a guy who sings it 105mph+ for driver.....just theorising....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

I got fit for a driver last year. When we were looking at distance, we allowed 10% for using range balls which has been fairly accurately translated onto the course

Advertisement