Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What makes up your Christmas Dinner?

• 12-01-2022 10:17am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by our thread about the favourite part of the Christmas dinner and @freshpopcorn post

We have turkey, ham, potato stuffing, sausage meat stuffing, another bread stuffing(Crumbs, herbs, onion, salt, pepper and bacon lardons or some of the Christmas ham chopped up, veg(Carrots, cauliflower, parsnips, sprouts, Broccoli), potatoes, bread sauce, gravy.

It got me thinking what goes into your Christmas dinner, there are no wrong answers but it's interesting how everyone has their own slight tweaks and changes to such a traditonal meal. Be interesting to see the different answers we get.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Mine usually Consists of;

1. Turkey
    2. Ham
    3. Sage & Onion Stuffing
    4. Roast Potatoes
    5. Mash Potatoes
    6. Carrots
    7. Parnips
    8. Brussels Sprouts

Sauces Include;

1. Cranberry
    2. Apple Sauce (for the Ham)
    3. Gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Smoked and pale ham, turkey breast, sage and onion stuffing, roast potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, gravy, white sauce and...I've seen people question the inclusion of these in a Christmas dinner...beans 😄

They're lovely with buttery roast potatoes!!

Dessert is always trifle 🙂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I know I said no wrong answers but BEANS!!!! 😜😜😂😂

Although I do agree beans and roast potatoes. Chef kiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Exactly the same apart from no mash and add spiced beef.

A lot of food threads at the minute 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We normally go with:

Starters: Prawn Cocktail or Melon & Parma Ham (for the non-fish eaters)

Dinner: Turkey, Ham (boiled in cider, then baked with a honey glaze), sausagemeat stuffing, sprouts fried with rashers, honey roasted carrots & parsnips, peas, goose-fat roasties, lashings of homemade gravy 🤤

Dessert: Varies between Christmas Pudding & Trifle...although I did say that I'm going to do a Tiramisu next year because I made one for New Year's Day & I had forgotten how amazing it was 😅

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Depends on how many people I'm cooking for:

Core:

Turkey, Ham, roast potatoes, roast veg (red onions, parsnips, carrots, garlic in olive oil, red wine vinegar and herbs), gravy

More people, but might do it anyway:

Stuffing

More people:

Mash, potato croquettes, mushroom sauce

Absolutely never:

Brussel sprouts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pigtail33

For us it's always turkey, ham, parsley & thyme bread stuffing, carrots, sprouts, roasties and lashings of gravy. I don't think I could fit anymore either on my plate or in my belly.

This is always followed by pavlova (with cream and fresh berries), Christmas pudding and then tea and chocolate fingers.

mmmm, we really should eat it more than one day a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Turkey,

Ham

Roast potatoes

Mashed potatoes

Sprouts

Carrots

Marrowfat peas

Parsnips

Sage and onion stuffing

Bread sauce

Gravy

Cranberry sauce

Dessert is a choice of Christmas pudding or baileys cheesecake...

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭sekond

Starter (well, lunch really): Turkey soup. Must be made by my Mum. Apparently I don't make it right.

Proper starter: Prawns and smoked salmon with maria rose sauce (sauce making duties assigned to eldest daughter, always)

Turkey, ham, roast potato, carrots, celery, marrowfat peas, green beans, brussels sprouts, stuffing (also must be made by my Mum. She has shared the recipe but it never tastes the same when I make it, so I suspect there is a secret ingredient she is hiding from us, maybe it will be revealed in her will or something), roast sweet potato, roast parsnip (the last two only ever eaten by my husband)

Cranberry sauce, gravy. Bread sauce if there is more than just the 4 of us. (I saw someone had apple sauce for the ham, which had never occurred to me, but I might add that next year)

Dessert: Christmas pudding, trifle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭tscul32

Turkey

Ham

Roasties (in goose/duck fat)

Mashed potatoes

Carrots

Honey/maple roast parsnips

Shredded sprouts with bacon, parmesan, white wine, cream

Sweet Corn (cos the kids all love it)

Home made parsley and thyme stuffing

Sausage meat stuffing (as above but with sausage meat mixed in)

Home made Turkey gravy

Dessert varies as does starter.

With a cuppa there's Christmas cake, gingerbread and shortbread cookies and choc truffles/sweets (white choc and coconut snowballs, dark chocolate boozy fruitcake truffles and chocolate biscuit balls). All homemade so I'm usually knackered by Christmas day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Mash potatoes, roast potatoes (duck fat) roasted turnip, cauliflower, sprouts and carrot, lamb , stuffing and gravy. Maybe some ham some years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Turkey, Ham, Roasties, gravy, carrots and parsnips, stuffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Starters prawn cocktail for everyone light party food bits for me I’m allergic to prawns

Turkey

Ham

York Cabbage cooked with bacon for flavour

Mash potatoes with butter and cream

Roast potatoes

Honey roasted carrots

homemade gravy

sage and onion stuffing

Dessert cheesecake of some sort or profiteroles with a side of fresh cream or chocolate millionaire

I think I’m the only one that mentioned cabbage ?

No starter.

Turkey

Stuffing

Roast spuds, carrots and parsnips.

Stirfried sprouts.

Mashed spuds.

Mushy peas.

Gravy

Cranberry sauce

Club orange.

Trifle or vienetta for dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Pistachio19

The local restaurant I get mine from provides loads of turkey and ham, stuffing, gravy, mash potatoes, roast potatoes, roast carrots/turnip/parsnip and sprouts. As long as they keep doing Christmas dinners I'll eat whatever they cook.

Advertisement