Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kimi - Steven Sodenbergh - HBO Max

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Jeez.. I know you posted it in Films but my first reaction was that it looks like streaming show.

I couldn't figure out her Job so I checked wiki and it has this detail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimi_(film)

During the COVID-19 pandemic in Seattle, an agoraphobic tech worker discovers evidence of a violent crime while reviewing a data stream, and is met with resistance and bureaucracy when she tries reporting it to her company. To get involved, she realizes she must face her greatest fear by venturing out of her apartment and into the city streets, which are filled with protestors after the city council passes a law restricting the movements of the homeless population.

Still couldn't figure it out so I checked the Writer.. David Koepp: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/david_koepp

He has not been having a lot of luck these last few years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh is it that time of the month already? Time for another Soderbergh production. 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

David Koepp is one of my favourite writers of genre cinema. He wrote a good horror novel as well. I'll give this a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,340 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Watched it this evening a decent and enjoyable movie I must say.

Zoe really is a star.

Decent alright - nothing new here but watchable.

Short little thriller at just under 90 minutes that obviously didn't cost a lot to make that is nevertheless taut enough - there's a lot worse shite out there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A derivative thriller, whose inspirations were often quite overt - but never detrimental to the overall enjoyment gleaned either. That enjoyment came mostly from the combination of Zoe Kravitz's twitchy, intense performance and Soderbergh's typical unfussy and documentarian direction. That slightly clinical hand did sometimes rob the film of its tension here and there; the topicality of the titular device underplayed too much - when something a bit punchier might have left more of a lingering taste. Not that being beaten over the head with "Big Tech is Evil" messaging would have been automatically better, but sometimes Kimi lacked a pulse; not helped by taking a little too long to get its wheels in motion; a little more of an authorial voice would have gone a long way here.

Bonus points that while set during the pandemic, it wasn't a movie about CoVid either; Kravitz's agoraphobic tendencies were made worse by it, but it wasn't laboured over either. The film still could have worked without CoVid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,995 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

enjoyed it a lot. Nice and short and kept me entertained !!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,643 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Dame and here I was hoping for a film on Kimi Raikionan lol.

That would be good

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement