Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Men Wear Shorts Over running tights?

• 11-01-2022 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

The age old question of modesty versus functionality. But being a new year and minds have broadened I pose the question.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Shouldn't wear running tights in the first place. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Its definiatly a fashion look now. You see in it gyms/sports training/just generally out and about all the time

My thoughts are that my legs never get that cold no matter how cold it is out if im running. Just shorts always work fine for me. If its cold I could wear hat/gloves/running jacket ect but legs always fine in shorts for whatever reason.

Plus leggings just seem like one extra thing to wash afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

Doesn’t get cold enough here to wear them.

Where’s Anto for his comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭jlang

I don't do tights but the related conversation about running underpants should also be had. If I was to wear tights, I think I would do the runderpants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

If temperatures get sub zero I occasionally wear running tights but never wear shorts over them. To be honest out on the road I don't feel self conscious at all with these running but wearing them to a gym I can understand why someone would want extra coverage. Saying that wearing tights indoors...I'd boil up so I'd just be in shorts in the first place. I do wear runderwear under the tights though so for me that works and the extra mm of material helps me feel like I'm not quite wearing nothing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭jacool

Wait until you're older lads and the knees refuse to warm up - tights are a necessity!

I would wear shorts over them as well, as I'd be conscious of the "other effects" of cold weather! Says more about me though :(

• Subscribers Posts: 683 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Couldn't agree more. Old knee injuries here, did 20k Sunday morning (about 2 or 3C I think it was), leggings under the shorts. If I just wore shorts, I'd have been hobbling home, with cold painful knees. Any warmer or shorter distance and it's grand though, would defo leave the leggings at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭FinnC

Wear what you want and don’t worry about what anyone else thinks about it.

Thats what I do anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Tights are great on a cold winter morning, never wear shorts over them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Had the long johns on once this year, biting windy day and had to push myself out the door.

When I started running first I wore the man tights under shorts. I mostly wore track suit bottoms. I remember seeing some pictures of a very early race I was in, 2017 Dublin half in Newbridge house. I was the only one in the picture with bottoms on!

**get to the point I hear you say- There was a reason. I had the worst varicose veins, horrible big blue ones which had me very conscious. Didn't get them ripped out till 2019. Been wearing shorts ever since. I would go so far as to say if I didn't get them removed I would not be running as much as I am now. So every time I see fellas wearing stretchy tights under togs or shorts I think maybe they are hiding the dreaded varicose and feel sorry for them,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Unless you want to show off your lunch box, the answer is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Personally I would not wear shorts over tights, and if you do so you might get some comments.

On the other hand, I would not give the slightest damn about what others say, and if you feel wearing shorts over tights is the most comfortable solution then wear shorts over tights, and anyone not liking it can go and do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yep Sub Zero or sub zero wind chill I have a pair of leggings that I quite like. Jocks underneath.

On the lunchbox thing and more the warmer temps. Anyone ever regretted wearing short shorts soon into a run?! I generally dont like jocks with shorts and many have a good enough emm nets. Its rather mortifying to try and subtly tuck the lad back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

It feels like it was only a matter of time that the question would be asked...It also feels like the account may have been set-up specifically to ask this very question making me wonder if the OP is someone we all know already 😂

I used to wear shorts over tights. I don't anymore thanks to some friendly abuse advice from fellow Boardsies.

Thankfully I'm a practical person and I'll wear whatever I need to get the best out of my run, and not give a sh*te what people think.

@shotgunmcos I can't handle jocks, whether i'm wearing shorts or tights. Nothing worse than them bunching up and very little to be done about it when you're already on the move. I always go after shorts with some sort of netting or underlayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Runster

I think shorts and running tights together look ridiculous.

What's the point?

You can get tracksuit bottoms that are not too loose that they would impede your stride.

Or else just wear shorts.

Its the same with the shorts with bicycle shorts attached to them for women, just a stupid fashion

trend that serves no purpose.

If you're self conscious about your thighs then don't wear shorts or wear baggy shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

warm up in tights if its too cold and whip them for the short shorts underneath

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Tights are for wearing with high heels, nothing else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

I have never understood the stigma around shorts with tights, I see it alluded to here and there but just don't get it.

Fwiw, I've 1 pair of running tights for the odd super cold run and when I do wear them, it's with shorts. Couldn't be handling the lack of...ahem...coverage.

Actually, I also wear running tights under shorts a lot during the summer for tag rugby. But that's just to protect from astroburn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

If it's cold enough to wear tights it's cold enough to not have to worry about any lunchbox issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Coming from Cavan originally I don't need another reason to be called a tight bastid. Wear whatever helps you get you out the door though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Well the original question was whether shorts should be worn with tights...I don't think there's any question about the validity of wearing tights 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Women wear tight shorts under baggy shorts for several reasons - the least reason being that it’s a fashion statement .

I suppose that's a sweeping statement there from both of us.

I know plenty of women who wear them because they're fashionable and there's nothing wrong with that.

It seems like a trend to me - if they had any real purpose to them, they would've been in all the shops years and years ago.

You only ever seen them before the past few years on women where they were playing a rough and tumble sport like

Rugby or Tennis or something similar.

For the likes of running which is what I was referring to, I think they're pointless.

I wouldn't bother paying for them, if I was self conscious Id stick to leggings or baggy shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I wear running bottoms, I’m not calling them t****s but never wear shorts over them. I couldn’t care less what anyone thinks of that. There’d be no question on what is visible when a woman wears Lycra bottoms… usually to go shopping nor would she be expected to wear a T-shirt to hide any other part of her anatomy so what’s good for the goose…

Let it all hang out brother. Wear them proud!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,102 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The two-in-one shorts alluded to above are very comfortable. The tight short (inner) is very soft and seamless and doesn't "dig in" anywhere and keeps everything in place. The loose outer maintains one's modesty. They're the most comfortable shorts I've worn. I wear tights if the weather is inclement. My legs seem to suffer when the wind chill is low. Shorts over? Never.

Quite few days cold enough to justify full coverage on the legs in Ireland

Prefer slim-fit sports joggers myself for those days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Where are we with budgie smugglers on the beach?

Advertisement