Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel to the states

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Juran

We flew back from the US yesterday. We paid for a covid test at a private place, we found online. We paid $60, some places quoted us up to $300. Every test site, including CVS and Walgreens offered free tests, but when we enquired, it was only free if you had US healthcare. There are limited public run test sites in each city for uninsured and undocumented. We opted not to queue for 3 hours for a free test, and pay for a quick test.

We uploaded our test result cert (pdf) on Verify app, with passenger locator form, and vaccine declaration. It took 12 hours for Verify to accept the antigen cert, it didnt have a QR code.

Aerlingus staff were checking covid tests at checkin at the US airport, our Verify check took 5 seconds, people with print outs were at the check in desk for ages. A non-irish family, living in Ireland, next to us, claim they didnt know about covid tests on entering ireland, made a huge fuss at checkin, the supervisor had to come out and tell them they were not going on the flight.

When we landed in Dublin, nobody checked our covid tests.

Quick question here. My mother is travelling to the States in the next few weeks. She had covid back in November and has her covid cert to confirm she has recovered from it. Will she need to do a PCR test before she travels?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭TobyHolmes

to get back to ireland she will need negative antigen or pcr. with the covid recovery cert (whats the point so!). to get to the US- i think the covid recovery cert is enough (but check guidelines)

12 hours is a long time for the verifly app to accept it especially when realistically you'll need to do your test the day before to comply with the time period as most flights from us to dublin are night flights.

great - so self swab is fine! thanks was wondering what they meant by "professionally administered" I suppose as long as you are having the clinic etc test the results. should be fine.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that. Its ridiculous that she needs a negative antigen/PCR test with recovery cert to get back into the country but does not need one leaving it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

How did you board if you didn't check in ?🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I meant I didn't have checked in luggage. I did online check in and went straight to security with the boarding pass on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 allie40

Hubbie and I are due to travel to Boston for a 4 night break on 12th Jan. We were due to go over in Nov but had to re-schedule and now is probably the worst time. I'm not sure what to do, is anyone over there at the moment to advise if we should just go ahead and travel over? I know all info on tests going over and coming back and have been checking online about the C19 numbers etc over there. Just so in a quandary on the best thing to do!!

thanks!

• Advertisement

I think the reason it took 12 hours, is the cert we were issued did not have a QR code. When uploading, we got a message that we needed to upload using another tab as our certs (we tried to upload) did not contain a QR code. A message then appeared to say our test results had to be verified.

I dont know, but I honestly can't see that Verify have a team of people manually looking at every cert that does not have a QR code.

I overheard a lady at checkin tell staff she was unable to upload her test results to Verify, the staff just checked the paper certs for each family member.

We are just back from the US (not Boston). We were there gor 3 weeks. We had no problems, wore our masks, kept our hands santized, didnt eat in crowded bars/resturants, used common sense etc. We tested negative coming back.

Unless you are at high risk health wise, I think the biggest risk is the cost if you test negative. Cost of staying in the states for 14 days (or what ever it takes to test negative), cost of a new flight, and other related costs.

Friends of ours came back from.Boston this morning, they explored the city, went to the malls, ate and drank out, like us, took the precautions (masks, clean hands), they tested negative. They said most people wore masks in Boston.

my advice: 1) change your flight till March- US is in chaos for testing BUT- 2) if you can keep to yourselves and take precautions you should be fine. 3) dont meet up with friends and family though as if someone has it thats it - you will get it too and everyone seems to have it!! 4) also make sure you have plenty of at home antigen tests so you can test yourselves as you go.- they are all sold out 5) also make sure you have flights that you can change and insurance. 6) have a list of private clinics that you can get your official tests at. 7) have a contingency plan as if you get it you are stuck. HOPE THAT HELPS

• Registered Users Posts: 2 allie40

Thanks for the replies on our upcoming trip. We have decided to brave it! Have so been looking forward it to!!

Allie40,

With the requirment to have negative tests to fly back to Ireland now dropped, my advice is to 100% go for your Boston trip ! Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

So.. Just to confirm.. could anyone confirm for me.. as of todays date: If you have had Covid within 90 days of travel to the USA and are in possesion of an EU recovery certificate (digital or paper) then you do NOT need to present an antigen or PCR result before travel? In all other cases just an Antigen test taken 24hrs before departure will suffice? Just getting a bit concerned about mixed messaging etc. and a bit nervous about all this. I am aware of no testing required to re-enter Ireland as advised by government recently.

I have had Covid in November 2021 and I hope to travel to the USA in early February (all things going well)!

Thank you in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Damien360

But does the airline still require a negative test ? I’m flying AA and they still have the test requirement outbound (fair enough) and inbound.

You will need negative test to enter the US.

You do NOT need a negative test to enter Ireland. This was dropped yesterday.

Airline websites might not yet be updated about the negative test flying to Ireland.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RedPaddyX

Can I double check you read his post. He has an EU recovery cert. The question is does this suffice for US entry instead of test. The CDC entry requirements do state a recovery proof is acceptable instead of test but it’s not clear what they accept.

im in same situation due to travel next week and have EU recovery cert

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Damien360

I travelled today to US. You need your vaccinations and you need a negative test. I got mine the day before with Randox at the airport. You can pre-book a slot and get a result in an hour. They are just opposite terminal 2 short term parking entrance. I used VeriFLY and it really cut down the worry.

• Advertisement

Thanks - looks like I might have to book tests just to be sure but the CDC guidance seems to indicate proof of recovery negates need for negative test?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 keanocar

A friend of mine just flew over to the US in the last couple of weeks. He had Covid in November so only needed to present his recovery cert and a letter from his doctor saying he was fit to travel. He wasn’t charged anything for this letter but I’m not sure if this would be the case with all doctors? I’m going next week and need to do the same.

It states clearly on US embassy website what is required:

If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country, and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

Got her letter from the doctor yesterday. Just needs to fill in an online form for Delta airlines and she will be sorted then

• Registered Users Posts: 35 keanocar

Did they charge her for letter or was it free?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Bojill

Heading to the states next week, can anyone tell me if the antigen test that they do at some Boots branches is sufficient for USA entry requirements?

It's done by staff and it's not self swab.

Thanks

Edit, looks like boots test is fine

Post edited by Bojill on

The question is if the EU Recovery Cert is sufficient proof of recovery for US rather than needing a doctors cert too?

Boots antigen will be fine for US

Airline will look for name, DOB, date test result, negative result, name of tester (Boots). You,ll be fine with Boots test.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Great. I’m traveling Delta as well.. 5th February Dublin to NY. As I’m in the very same situation it would be great to know how things panned out at the airport/check-in etc. many thanks!

• Advertisement

I will let you know how things pan out for my mam. Hopefully everything will be straight forward

Advertisement