Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel to the states

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Just waiting for these f*ckers to state non essential travel is restricted in their announcement tomorrow.

not that that stopped anyone before, I’ll be heading to the airport regardless, just annoying if there will be a Garda presence knocking around for show to be seen to be at something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I'm in New York at the minute and trying to figure out how/where to get test for return flight.

I've seen those testing vans/tents everywhere in the city and most are "free". But what's the deal?? Is there any sort of scam or what? Why would anyone go to a clinic here and pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,737 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You need them to produce official documentation for the test with the required information covered, the free tests won't have this.

For return - what company did you use for the antigen test? There's so many here and I'm unsure of which is offering the correct service.

Also loads of "free" pop-up testing spots on the street, but I want to be sure I get the right thing.

Aaah, I see. Seemed to work for the poster though? But also said they weren't checked so maybe that's why.

• Advertisement
    M

Yes it all depends on boarding the plane, if you get that far you will be fine. If the VeriFly app accepts it you are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I got my test in a different city as I was only in Newark as part of a layover.

Ah ok, no problem.

The search in New York continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Juran

Aerlingus check-in at Dublin T2 was really slow today. About 6 or 7 US fights leaving between 11am.and 2pm. Check in took over 2 hours, US pre clearance was almost an hour. The automatic self service things are all gone. Aerlingus check in staff were checking the paperwork manually. This was slowing everything down. There asked for:

Vaccine Cert

Negative test (pcr or antigen) taken within 1 calender day.

US locator form - we showed the email confirmation, she just wanted to see all passenger names in our groups listed on it.

They asked for Covid Asttestation Form. We didnt see it on aerlingus website. She told us to scan a QR code at her desk. It brought us to an online form where you input name, booking number, flight number and email.address. you confirm your covid status (eg. Negative) and vaccination status. Hit submit, and thats it, it take 30 seconds per passenger. You get a copy via email. From what I can figure out, you cant find the link to this online form via aerlingus website or any US government website. The QR code seems to be the only path.

My advice is, what ever time you think it will take you to get through Dublin airport thisxmas going to the US ... double it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I went early to the airport and it was a breeze. Check in area, security and US preclearance were empty.

I saw the signs for the locator and attestation form but one Aer Lingus staff (before security) told me once you're cleared on verifly you're good to go.

Got an email from AL the other day with the link to the passenger locator (the one I posted here the other day), not the attestation, which you had to fill in before boarding.

Before landing we were told there might be spot checks by US security, which didn't happen.

Verifly really saves the hassle of showing all the different paperwork.

Post edited by Barna77 on

• Advertisement

Lots of people in the Verifly line, that didn't have the app installed.

Each airline or airline group appears to have their own US contact tracing form page. Here is the IAG one.

https://contact-tracing.iairgroup.com/html/us/index.html?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭timtim2016

What information?

The free test we got from CTS ( located on a side street by hard rock cafe in time Square) had all info the CDC required. Name, passport number, date of test, method, by who and a result. Line was full of Irish and UK travelling home.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

Hi I’m finding the whole return travel from the US very confusing. I’m flying out this Wed - fully vaxxed - antigen test booked for Tuesday but coming home is wrecking my head. I leave the Us On Monday afternoon at 4pm returning into Dublin at 7am Tuesday morning. I was going to get the antigen test on the Sunday morning. Can I get it in a Walgreens or other pharmacy? Has anyone else done this. My family member in the US is finding it hard to get information over there. TIA

just to add: I’m travelling to Clearwater Florida and they don’t seem to have testing for international travel as readily available as the likes of New York. They seem to be private testing clinics and are closed on Sunday which is when I’ll need to get the antigen test!

Post edited by misschoo on

M

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

seems to be very quiet from the US on the restrictions side of things. At this stage I’d say it’s safe enough that they won’t do anything this side of 2022 ie a border closure again. But then what would I know.

couldn’t give a toss what ireland do about getting back in. Will happily bring the laptop and air b n b it if test positive while out there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Damien360

A small question regarding mobile data (to change the covid test mood). Has anyone used a eSim in a Vodafone unlocked device ? I want to use google maps to find my way and want to know the best way to continue to use my phone without racking up massive charges. It’s a work device and I have to keep my original SIM card installed. Philadelphia area in January if that matters for carriers.

Buy a T-Mobile tourist SIM over, $60 dollars for the month but unlimited data, mist places have free open WiFi anyway

If CVS or Walgreens are open on a Sunday and can do antigen test that includes a print out with all the info, then you should be fine

Here at the minute and using an eSIM from Airalo. Cheap and very reliable data plan.

When to one of the CTS testing locations in NYC as a precaution last week before meeting someone. Asked for an antigen but was automatically given antigen and PCR.

My antigen was a (false) negative and PCR positive, so isolating here for another week, now before I can come home.

When I got my antigen test prior to flying to US the certificate had a QR code on it that I used to upload to VerifyFly. These CTS ones don't have anything like that but have all other info. Any way to upload without this?

• Advertisement

just to update on my travel from the US (arrived home this morning). I went to a local Walgreens and did a free of charge self swab antigen test on Sunday and got the results back within 4 hours. I uploaded this to the United app which was accepted. I also did a self swab PCR test (FOC) in a local CVS on Sunday. Results took 36 hours and were there when I turned my phone on when I landed. I know it says self swabbing is not allowed but it doesn’t state self swabbed on either of the certs. Upon arrival in Dublin I was asked for a negative covid result so I just showed the antigen test and was waved on.

Also just to note the Verifly app is only useful if you are travelling to Ireland via Aer Lingus. Verifly only seems to cover about 5 airlines - BA being one of them so it’s not useful for the other US airlines flying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Incorrect - American Airlines use Verifly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Very useful thread, thanks. I'm flying out to US in late April. Haven't been there since 2014. There's some stuff I'll have to upload to Delta's website/app and I'll probably need a test in Boulder, Colorado, before returning to Ireland. Delta have their own map of Covid testing sites, seem to be mostly Safeway. Their version of Verifly seems to be TrustAware and Delta FlyReady. Aside from a negative test, you need to provide Customer Attestation for Entry Into the U.S and contact tracing info.

Haven't used an e-SIM before. Was looking at these. https://www.airalo.com/united-states-esim

https://www.getnomad.app/blogs/best-prepaid-esim-for-travel-to-the-u-s

https://esim.holafly.com/data-plans/esim-for-usa/

Just got back to Ireland and they never asked or checked the verifly app for boarding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Was it asked for at check-in?

You have to upload your negative covid result onto the airline document upload whether this be for Verifly (Aer Lingus & American Airlines) or other US airlines such as United (who I flew with) have their own document upload section within their app. In this section you upload your passport details, where you are staying in the US and your covid result. Once these are all accepted you can then get your boarding passes. I had my antigen test done with GoSafe but for some reason it wouldn’t verify my result on the app, so when I was checking in at Dublin airport on my way there was a rep there who checked my result than swiped his card to allow me to proceed and get my boarding pass.

On the way home I did all the same procedure - my covid antigen was verified by United on the app beforehand and I was able to get my boarding passes beforehand. I wasn’t asked for my result before boarding my flight back to Ireland but I figured this was on the system because of my uploads. I was asked for the result at passport control so I showed him my paper copy. I was the most worried about my antigen on the way home as my test was a self swab at the local Walgreens but this was accepted and it doesn’t say self swabbed on the certificate you get.

• Advertisement

Advertisement