Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I think you need the IOSS number as well so they can check the exporter is valid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It doesn’t seem that way on the Revenue website? A normal VAT number wouldn’t be kept secret?

"At the time of import, Customs will validate the IOSS VAT identification number included in the Customs declaration against the centralised database of IOSS registrations. If the number is confirmed as valid, the goods will be exempt from VAT at import and VAT due on the supply will be declared and paid by the supplier through their monthly IOSS return. It is important that the IOSS VAT identification number is kept confidential and communication of this number is kept to a minimum. "

MOD: @deezell you had a post about Amazon DE v UK which I've moved to the specific thread for that discussion.

I have also split off the posts about discounts and values to the big thread for Duty/VAT here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055862554/new-import-duty-vat-thread-read-post-1-for-rules

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JRH

Thanks for the replys everyone .

So if i was to message this seller to help him get the shipping right , what would i tell him . Would it be to include a taric code ( looked up code for car accessories 5705008091 ) and he needs to include his IOSS number ? anything else ?

would these numbers have to be on a certain form ... or just anywhere on the CN22 form he used ? does it matter if there are other numbers on the form ... does the ( scanner ?) just run over the label and instantly recognize a taric number or whatever its looking for no matter where it is on the form or whatever else is on it ?

all this is clearly confusing people who are not total idiots .

and then i send a box of various Christmas gifts to my sister in Auckland ...

I expected to be filling out some detailed shipping form ... all it was just a 4cm sticker , which i scribbled some inaccurate contents while the post mistress looked on impatiently ... then se took 50 euro ... splapped the little sticker on ...all took about a minute .

The box was delivered in auckland no problems .

So inward mail , all this code malarkey ... but outward shipping a one minute form and stick it the plane .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

If there is no IOSS number then customs just takes the VAT as per the details on the CN22, all the details needed look correct on that CN22.

A generic label with IOSS on it doesn't mean the seller is registered.

I've had one with the correct IOSS and VAT paid sent back to the seller.

There is no logic to what is going on and it's being going on since July now, so plenty of time to get their house in order. I've been fobbed off with every sort of excuse, 'restricted items' seems to be a common one ( they weren't).

It seems to be getting worse too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭wassie

Just got advice that the Christmas pressies sent to us from family overseas are on their way back home.

Not unexpected unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,496 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Not all countries are doing the Electronic declarations for inward parcels, so it would depend on where a parcel was going to from Ireland. I looked at the NZ customs site, and they still seem to be doing the old system of writing to people getting parcels from abroad.

Coming the other way NZ has singled out Ireland for mention, but they seem to think our system will become more the norm.

Sending parcels to Europe

As of October 2021, countries in the European Union (including Norway and Switzerland) will be enforcing firm requirements for Customs documentation and will return or delay any shipments not accompanied by accurate EAD information. 

Some countries are following these new requirements with strict adherence. For example, Ireland have adopted a firm approach with mandatory HS or TARIC codes for all parcels sent internationally. We expect to see more countries adopt similar approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭deezell

Oh we're so good in Ireland! Teacher will give us a star for being sooo compliant and finikity. No way can we be like the naughty Euro boys down the back, using their wits and initiative to make things work, when the instructions are too complex and contradictory. We love tieing ourselves up in knots. Look at the HSE integrated IT system (abandoned, hence the piecemeal ransomware paradise), the children's hospital ( no explanation needed), the TU Dublin campus, (25 years and half built?), the Bertie bowl, Luas 2, etc. etc. A camel is a horse designed by a committee, and that's what this new 'stringent' customs system is, a potholed boreen, not a streamlined track.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It looks like the wrong Tarrif number, should it start with 8708.....??

https://www.tariffnumber.com/2021/8708

• Advertisement

hey , i was using the anpost site , i put in car accessories ... then it generates ' auto carpets ' 5705008091

if it put in car accessory it generates ' auto vacuum ' 8508700020

if i put in car parts it generates 'car toy ' 9503009990

if i put in gear knob it generates ' auto shifter knob ' 8708999790 ( i think thats the one ! ) Thanks

🤪

But supposing AnPost are using their own useless taric database, and you submit one from an alternative which their system doesn't recognise?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

Hello All,

If the correct taric code is handwritten will

my package be sent back? Thanks for any reply!

They look up nothing. It's scanned by a machine and if computer doesn't figure it out, it just gets sent back. Perfectly valid 6 digit codes are being rejected, either because they're only 6 or because a human is not comparing them to the ten digit version(s) and using common sense, and that's just the taric codes, who knows what other reasons the system stalls on, it's never explained to sender or receiver. No changeover period, they just pulled the plug on the old system on the day they introduced the new. Like introducing new currency notes and instantly rejecting the old. It was unworkable, but they still persist.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

I guess I need to answer my question as after a few messages a representative told me that my parcel was returned because the taric number that was written by my brother were not done electronically.

you'd think they would have video tutorials on youtube and social media , showing how they expect a parcel from non EU country to be labeled, so as no one is confused .

Instead they focus on these daft competitions etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Funnily, I seen a thread on the ETSY forum where some American had their package sent back, who then chased down their courier, who followed up with AnPost. AnPost admitted fault, which they've never done when it comes to individual customers complaining, which says a lot about them.

Anyone know what's going on with IOSS numbers and AP? There's literally nothing mentioned on their site about them, and from my understating they are meant to be incorporated into the digital data and not just written on the package. Do you just give the number to AP when posting something that requites one or what? Their site is so unhelpful when it comes to stuff like this.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

So is the expectation that things will improve in 2022?

From some of the replies on this thread it appears AP decided on the early implementation of non-mandatory postage requirements (non-mandatory up to end of 2021) whereas the rest of the EU did not (hence why so many parcels were returned from here vs other EU countries)… if that was the case, and those postage requirements are now mandatory for all EU countries, surely at least the key non-EU markets (USA, China, Japan, UK, etc.) will have to up their game and make sure things are compliant before shipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Hoping things will improve. I paid customs for first time on something on the 18th and got it Thursday.

Sadly my outgoing post to the UK (shoes return notpresents) is still saying it's in my post office since the 18th

Nothing about wrongly charging customs or how An Post are posting stuff back but shared anyway for thise interested in figures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,496 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Probably because it is a report about freight and not parcel post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Put through another order with CD Japan at the end of December. Went for Fedex rather than the usual airmail. Slightly more expensive - €5.

Package delivered within four days of ordering.

Ah sorry, was at lunch in work when I saw it nvm 😣

I've another buyee one on the way with FedEx, last one was DHL but both work great, a bit more expensive but I'd pay it not to worry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I order vape stuff from a chinese site regularly, have a few packages in the post at the moment. I just noticed the tracking for one them says

06 January 2022 17:11

We could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender.

I've never had this happen before. I always use Ireland epacket shipping option and pre-pay EU VAT. I'm waiting in their webchat at the moment to speak to them and try and figure out what the story is

EDIT: An Post said all the info they get from customs is that "The customs declaration made by the sender was insufficient or invalid according to customs regulations". So that's that and it's on its way back to China

Post edited by youcancallmeal on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I decided to email dph@revenue.ie(Dublin Parcel Hub) out of interest to see if they could give me any more information. They responded within 10 minutes basically saying it's nothing to do with them. They explained they do do spot checks on parcels coming in and if they do seize or detain anything for whatever reason they contact the recipient directly. Makes of mockery of the webchat I waited 45 minutes to have with An Post yesterday. The sender also replied to me to say that they have prepaid the EU VAT on IOSS and are certain all the proper declarations were made. Bit of a mess really. I don't mind if there was something wrong with the package declaration, I'd happily leave at that if An Post could just tell me exactly what the problem is so I can ensure the sender doesn't do it again

Total mess alright , you only have to read the comments on anpost FB , everyone in the same boat . sad really , i used to to go out of my way to try and have my parcels end up with anpost for convience and reliability , or god forbid the would end up with the likes of GLS . now its totally the other way round , have to avoid anpost , even happier to see fastway chuck them over the wall than have them returned .

They had a tweet up about lack of staff due to covid, lots of tweets as well about missing Christmas presents and customs charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭wassie

"Once we are over the current covid wave we will resume returning parcels at the expense of our customers!"

• Advertisement

I can't see my last post re AddressPal

Cost anyway was for a dress marked to 70 usd (or at least the seller said 70usd)

€27.11 to Parcelforce in UK

€6.59 to use AddressPal

€14.47 Irish customs for a dress they marked worth € 47.72

Just incase anyones using it as alternative. I think I'd still prefer courier even though it wasn't so bad. Faffing about trying to pay Parcelforce myself was stressful

Advertisement