Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Options to restore original mapping?

• 09-01-2022 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Question for the motors girls and guys:

I have a VW Golf which had the EGR function mapped out. I would like to restore the EGR function. I tested the vacuum side of the valve and the diaphragm is leaking so the valve will have to be changed anyhow (presumably the reason it was mapped out by a previous owner). What's the best way to get the original factory map reloaded on the ECU? I already approached two VW dealerships who refused to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭CathalC2011

I'd have assumed VW would flash the ECU anyway during a regular service. Worth getting it in and saying nothing?

That's been the case in my experience with BMW anyway, they always update the ECU software and wipe any maps.

Not sure if VW are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

If there is any clue as to who mapped the EGR out, you could always try going back to them. They may have backed up the standard map for your model or be able to add the EGR back in. Failing that, contact other "mapping" businesses to see if they could do same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Check if the car has had or qualifies for the emissions recall, if it hasn’t vw will load the latest standard map to the ecu.

Otherwise contact the person who mapped out the egr and ask they return it to standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tibia

Thanks for all the replies.

I asked the dealers if there are any updates for this car - no.

I don't know who mapped out the EGR. I attempted to contact a previous owner but no luck.

I contacted an independent remapping outfit who said they could try and find a suitable original file for the ECU but it would be better to go to VW if I wanted it put back to stock.

It's disappointing the main dealers will not help because I believe they have access to the original maps. Maybe I asked the wrong question - any ideas? At this stage I think I will just leave well enough alone rather than risk causing more problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I have to say, if someone contacted us, I wouldn't touch a job like that, way to risky.

It's all fun and games until the car **** itself when the factory map is re-installed. Which will unquestionably happen and invariably be painted as the dealers fault, then everyone on here will be telling you to take the dealer to SCC for bricking the car.

Just don't need that work, not if you could charge ten times the price.

Thanks for the inside view. I guessed it was something like that. When you say "which will unquestionably happen", I presume that's a reference to Murphy's law? Or can I really expect a problem if I have it put back to stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It's a combination of both.

In my experience you can set your watch to Murphys law with things like this.

That aside, if you haven't replaced the EGR valve/ cooler before changing the map then the chances of it driving out of the dealer would be ultra ultra slim.

If it was mapped out and the valve is in still in situ is there blanking plates to be removed?

If you remove the blanking plates and fit a new EGR valve is every hose and elbow connecting to the EGR going to be blocked solid with carbon build up?

Has the rest of the exhaust suffered for having the EGR work done? Is the DPF gutted and mapped out too? Is the cat ok?

What if you replace the EGR valve, clean out all the pipework, revert to factory map then you get a DPF fault, are you willing to replace that too if needs be?

Can open - worms everywhere. The car obviously had a fault at some point that the previous owner was too mean to fix properly, if you go back to the factory map you'll find out what that what plus what 'x' years of ignorance on top can do.

Is this an EA189 engine? If so and it's running well, i'd leave it be, personally.

Thanks again. Those are very good points, not all of which I had considered. It's the older 1.9 TDI but even so - will leave well enough alone.

Advertisement