Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi Q4 E-Tron

• 05-03-2019 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Audi is going to show the Q4 e-tron concept at the 2019 Geneva Motor Show.

Audi "previews close-to-production electric SUV based on MEB platform with more than 450 km range"

It will have two motors driving both axles, a 75kW (100hp) motor on the front and 225 kW (300hp) motor on the back.

Link to two articles here and here.

Audi-Q4-e-tron-concept.jpg

Audi-Q4-e-tron-concept-Side.jpg

Audi-Q4-e-tron-concept-Interior.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

I have to say, the back looks a little too like a Opel Grandland X

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What’s the story with the MEB. Is the engine chassis , suspension etc all the same?

I’d the only difference between the Seat, Buggy and Q4 the shell? Is there much scope to charge a premium when the core is the same

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The prototype has been spied testing, I wonder when they plan to launch this.
    Article mentions it's due to be revealed this year.

https://www.motor1.com/news/442884/2021-audi-q4-e-tron-spied/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Gf was talking to and Audi dealer about it last week and he mentioned to her it will be here the latter half of 2021 with a base price of €45k after grants.

He also said he gets quite a lot of calls on it, expecting it to sell fast.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think 212 probably seems like a realistic expectation. Previous plans were to build it in Zwickau alongside the ID.3, ID.4, and Seat El-Born.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Test drove the Q4-etron today.

In terms of handling it was really nice, I took it down some country roads, met plenty of traffic and drove it like I do my current car, it handled things really well.

But in terms of wow factor it just wasn't there I didn't think. I've never drove an Audi before so maybe I was expecting too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

If only :)

I definitely want electric by the way, just got in and expected something a bit nicer, but maybe my expectations were too high, and there's probably a load of reasons you should buy Audi over anything else.

Also what I've just noticed is the prices aren't quite as high as I thought as the Audi website doesn't automatically include the grants when you build the cars!

correct,.if you keep the gross below 60K you get 5K off

Annoyingly the 40 sport with paint is JUST over the 60k threshold.

Only way to go under is to stick with the pebble base colour and pay the 750 for service (which is mandatory) separately.

• Advertisement

unless you have a trade in ... and it value suddenly decreases!!

I already asked if there was any way to get it under 60k and got told no unfortunately. Not even sure I'd have gone for it as tech just not there compared to EV6 etc. But appreciate this is an Audi.

So basically if you want metallic paint on a 40 sport it will cost 5,800 euro more 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

You'd wonder what Audi are at for the sake of €1k or so.

I guess because it's an Audi people will pay for it anyway.

It was nice like I said, and really did handle well, nice ride height etc. But essentially paying nearly 6k more to get a colour I wanted meant I couldn't entertain it any more.

Didn't want to drop battery size to get the same trim, and didn't want to get the lowest spec as it's already missing stuff compared to other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think that'll be the interesting litmus test for them.

There will always be a bit of badge snobbery, but I think that might be on the wane when people start to become more aware of the type of quality which the likes of Kia/Hyundai/Skoda are starting to offer.

I'd be the similar to you, I lost interest when I saw that you have to either compromise on the trim level or the battery size to avail of the grant. I could justify paying a small premium for an Audi, but not 20%+ for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Tazium

Took delivery on Tuesday. Been a long time coming, ordered in June and multiple delays were frustrating. A proper drive will be had this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

nice

whats the spec on that? My mum has a 35 sport on order in typhoon grey (to match my larger E-Tron i think :D)

Very nice, I do like that "Navarra blue", hope you enjoy all the miles (km) you clock up on it 😍

It’s a 35 s-line with comfort plus pack and ambient lighting pack. It’s a lot smaller than your etron:-)

Low miles so far, 220km trip last weekend reduced the battery to 17%. Not terrible, not great.

• Advertisement

Okay, that's a good bit from the claimed 325km, but I guess it is winter and it's also earlier days for you, your right foot has some fine tuning to do!!!

that would infer a full winter range of around 265, really more like 250 as you are never going to run to 0. thats not too bad, you should see 310-315 in summer weather id guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

325 is 100 percent battery in an ideal conditions WLTP test.

220 is using 83 percent in winter and works out to be 265 at 100 percent.

Not bad at all tbh.

The wife acceptance test will be evaluated this weekend with a longer trip planned meaning we'll have to stop and charge once. Happy enough with the range at the moment as the majority of driving is local. Longer trips maybe twice a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭creedp

Wondering why there seems to be less interest in the Q4 Etron from Boardies compared to Ioniq 5, Kia EV6, Model Y, ID4, BMW i4, etc? Friend ordered a 35 version in order to get some desired options and still qualify for the grant which I wouldn't be very happy about given it has less power, slower charging and less range. Online reviews are generally very positive for the 40 and 50 models but I haven't seen to many comparison reviews as yet.

Would the fact that the 40 model plus options misses out on the grant be one of the main reasons why people are considering alternatives such as Ioniq 5 / EV6?

Quite likely, the 35 is a shorter range and to spec it with desired packages and still come in under 60K this is the one to have. Slower charging, I'm not sure what your thought it there, connected to a HPC it'll pull 100kw/h which is slower than the max available but plenty quick enough for us. Range again is subjective if the car can do what it's required to do without inconvenience. I know that sounds like I'm defending it and my purchase :) We'll likely change in three years and given there's such a delay in deliveries we may drift away from an Audi replacement. Meantime we're enjoying the car, comfort and features.

you have to remember slower charging isnt really slower, in real terms at least (same as the etron 50 & 55) as its a smaller battery it charges to 80% or 100% as quickly in time just at a lower MW / H rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭creedp

Dont get me wrong it's a lovely car and well wear! How are you finding the range for your recent longer journeys?

My friend is of the same mindset as yourself, the majority of journeys are short and the 35 model provides sufficient range for these journey's. He would have opted for the 40 model but his wife insisted on some extra options which would have taken price over €60k and he wasnt prepared to forgo the grant which is sensible.

My thinking would be battery spec is important in an EV so I would try and go for best spec within reason. It's not just charging speeds that is different, 100kw v 125kw, but also the power and range is higher in the 40 model so my preference would be the 40 model if I had the cash to buy one! In the meantime I make do with an L30 with 130km range and max 50kw charging, although because of the chronically poor range charging speed is largely irrelevant as it's now only used as a local runaround and charged almost entirely at home.

thats the thing though, everyone would like a large battery and greater max range, but for most they will hardly ever need it, if you are taking a really long trip you will need to stop to charge anyway (and just arrive with a higher SOC) and otherwise it just means you might plug in a few days more a year at home, for most people thats not worth the 7-8k it would end up costing.

• Advertisement

That was our thinking too. We stopped last weekend on a return leg having driven 195km and knowing we would need a boost to go the remaining 80. We charged for 20 minutes at an ESB charger and recovered just under 30% battery, more than enough to get home.

I’d like to stretch the battery and see just how far we could get on a single full charge with reasonable driving. But yep, same spec in the 40 model was considerably more expensive and the extra range we might enjoy maybe once a month, twice at most wasn’t worth it for us.

We don’t skimp on AC, heated seats or eco driving modes either as what’s the point in paying so much to then turn off those features? if there was a range risk to getting somewhere we’d be careful but no need yet and thankfully have used just one public charger so far and that was without issue.

Advertisement