Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childfree - In the news

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Bit rich coming from a chap who has taken a vow of celibacy and named himself after the patron saint of animals.

And also- the positive effect uncles and aunts can have on their nieces and nephews, along with the emotional support and time provided to the parents, along with the inevitable inheritances - so he can rightly fck off and go back up his ivory tower.

It's the most uninformed piece of sh1t pontification i've heard in quite a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Pope Francis has a point.

Parenthood opens up a part of you that you never knew existed. It's enriching beyond anything you've experienced before. Forget money, cars, high paying job... Parenthood is better then them all combined.

I'm a staunch atheist btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Im an Athiest too. I can see already though that this thread is going to be one of the most bitter ever on boards. The poor pope :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on the flipside, i know of at least three people who have admitted it was a mistake having kids.

anyway, i'm glad it's working out well for you. it's a mistake to assume that what works for you is universal.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,151 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Does that make the decision not to have children selfish?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The pope is just an influencer. I think at this point in time he has about as much influence on peoples lives as the Kardasians have.

I really dont understand why people get so upset listening to him. But sure if people need something or someone to moan about, instead of just getting on with their own lives, then so be it.

People usually say they regret having kids because they were unplanned or because they were expected to have children.

Certainly there are people not suited to having children. If you're very career focused, have anger issues or poor mental health, were abused as a child etc... then probably stay away from having children.

My wife and I decided not to have children because we enjoyed our (modest) lifestyle.

A few years later we changed our mind and have two kids, I'm the stay at home parent, which is fantastic and annoying and loving and disgusting and worrying and wonderful. It's not easy though, and I just started working as an SNA so that's even more kids.

To be blunt, I have learned more about myself in the past seven years then I had in the thirty-five years before that. I've had my flaws exposed and corrected.

'Children are our future' is a line oft trotted out. That's wrong. They're our past and future.

Have kids or don't have kids. But if you do, make sure you know how to love unconditionally.

Gotta go, eight month old has woken up.

• Advertisement

Spotted on reddit, no idea what publication its from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Taking the guilt tripping to a whole new level...

Give us a grandchild or $650,000, say Indian couple suing son

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/13/indian-couple-sue-son-demanding-grandchild-or-650000

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Apparently, some would argue in favour of taxing the childfree and childless:

It's a disgusting idea, frankly. Nothing about fixing a soaring cost of living, housing crisis, working culture or anything that might address structural issues.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Such calls for policy and taxation changes will come to the fore over the next few years and decades as our population starts to stagnate and then shrink. Not sure how id feel about it but wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

Advertisement