Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Golf Membership

• 30-09-2020 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Looking for some advice on courses to join in Cork. Possibly relocating to Cork City area in the new year and trying to narrow down a list of options with following in mind;

1. 18 holes with practice areas (driving range not a deal breaker)
    2. Members club with good timesheet availability at weekends
    3. Good atmosphere
    4. Not to long a drive. 30 mins from Douglas

Options I've thought are Douglas (would be ideal), Cork, Lee Valley, Monkstown.

I'm not too concerned about entrance fee, provided I won't need to remortgage a house and if it can be paid over multiple years.

Would appreciate any thoughts you have
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

frink wrote: »
    Looking for some advice on courses to join in Cork. Possibly relocating to Cork City area in the new year and trying to narrow down a list of options with following in mind;

3. Good atmosphere

I'm not too concerned about entrance fee, provided I won't need to remortgage a house and if it can be paid over multiple years.

Cheers
    Castlemartyr falls into the thirty minutes from Douglas bracket. Lovely course. Membership sub is around the €1200 mark and afaik, entrance fee of two grand which unfortunately must be paid in full. But the sub can be paid over 12 months, so swings and roundabouts.

Also doesn't seem to have too many members, so timesheet pressure would be low. I played in one of their opens last year and there was no problem getting out. Clubhouse food is very reasonable and good.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭benji79

Lee Valley not accepting membership at moment but said they’ll be looking at it again sometime in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

3. Good atmosphere

Cheers

Douglas are taking applications at the moment. Not sure how many they are taking in (if any). AFAIK its now 9k joining fee. (open to correction)
    Its a great club, new clubhouse, and a great core playing members
    John McHenry is the GM and seems really proactive

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Dbu wrote: »
    Douglas are taking applications at the moment. Not sure how many they are taking in (if any). AFAIK its now 9k joining fee. (open to correction)
    Its a great club, new clubhouse, and a great core playing members
    John McHenry is the GM and seems really proactive

Yes it is €9k but payable over 9 years which isn't too bad. They are taking members but deadline is 18th October and requires proposers/seconders which is a hurdle I won't be able to overcome as I don't know any members!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Yes it is €9k but payable over 9 years which isn't too bad. They are taking members but deadline is 18th October and requires proposers/seconders which is a hurdle I won't be able to overcome as I don't know any members!

I would say ring the club if you are interested in joining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Barrell

What is Fota joining fee?

Anyone any experience f Cobh golf club?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Barrell wrote: »

Fota would be expensive IMO

Cobh is pretty hilly. A lot cheaper I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Member in cobh myself. Price is grand (assuming you make use of it) and pay monthly optionavailable too, weekend timesheet morning slots fill up fairly quickly but most likely get desired time if on at release time. If want later, then it's very easy to get out.

Not as hilly as it may seem bar a few certain walks. 18th is a particular killer when tired though. Any questions, just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Eight grand to join and two grand sub afaik. An even ten grand to get you started. Cobh has no joining fee and €800 a year sub full membership. A bit of a difference there.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Eight grand to join and two grand sub afaik. An even ten grand to get you started. Cobh has no joining fee and €800 a year sub full membership. A bit of a difference there.

That’s a bit apples and oranges to be fair though.

Cobh is a grand course with a few interesting and quirky holes. Fota is a multiple Irish open host course, with 27 top notch championship holes (the new 9 are underwhelming, but still decent), and a world class practice facility.

If I lived locally I’d be happy to be a cobh member, but if I thought I could make the household budget stretch you’d love to be playing Fota every week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

That’s a bit apples and oranges to be fair though.

Cobh is a grand course with a few interesting and quirky holes. Fota is a multiple Irish open host course, with 27 top notch championship holes (the new 9 are underwhelming, but still decent), and a world class practice facility.

If I lived locally I’d be happy to be a cobh member, but if I thought I could make the household budget stretch you’d love to be playing Fota every week

Fota is the marquee course in Cork IMO ahead of the likes of Cork, Douglas etc

Sorry for bringing up an old thread. Tried and failed to join Douglas this year so looking at alternatives.

Monkstown seems to be the best option at the moment, any members on the sub? Haven't played the course so don't know much about it, from what I read it is relatively short and hilly in parts but always in good condition.

Appreciate any insight people have

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sylvanb

Monkstown sub is €1460 - course well maintained - recently sanded - new short game being developed at the moment , depending on weather , should be open by April

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Buttros

I joined Monkstown recently enough. Very happy there. As mentioned a new short game area should open soon and then work starts on the driving range. 8 bays I think and wont be far from the first tee. There are a couple holes (3rd is downhill and 5th back up) with big hills alright but that's mostly it. Its a par 70 if that influences your decision. Doesn't bother me at all. I like the course. Its a good test. Blues make it a lot different on some holes espicially the par 3s. Its not a long course. You could get away with using the driver fairly sporadically.

Timesheet gets busy but ive always gotten out. Ive played with random people all year and all positive expierences.

I like the clubhouse facilities. Good pro shop and do custom fitting. Nice bar and the food would be better than cork gc by a long shot. Better than douglas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Break80

It's a while since I had one but The Steaks in Cork Golf Club were famous at 1 time

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

I was looking at Monkstown recently but I'm not in the market for a club with a sizeable joining-fee. Maybe in a few years time!

What I would say is ring the course and let them know you're interested, that you've moved house and are looking at joining. I'm sure they'd let you sneak out some morning or evening when its quiet for a few holes and a look around the place?

Thanks for the input. Met with the club yesterday and getting out for a game next week. Positive progress being made at the club by the sounds of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭big_drive

Anything else happening in Cork clubs, any noticable good deals or that?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Williewell

Where did you end up joining? Any feedback for potential new joiners? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭big_drive

From another thread some details were:

Muskerry €1,500

Lee Valley , not open at moment for membership. But €1,500 entrance fee plus €1,250 yearly sub

Blarney €960

Macroom €875

Monkstown €5,000 entrance plus sub of €1,450

Cobh €880

Post edited by big_drive on

• Advertisement
Advertisement