Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Classic Insurance for a 20 year old car

• 09-01-2022 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭ Gorteen

I have just bought a 2002 Toyota Celica as (future) classic. Would like to insure it and keep it moving while I address issues with bodywork, etc as part of an overall restoration.

I have a main car and have been continuously insured for almost 40 years. I'm hopeful a broker will be able to help. Is there any broker or company I should start with to get this 'second' insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ w124man

Always an emotive subject this. Many years ago I walked into an AXA office and told them I wanted to insure my house, car, wife's car and classics and asked them what they could do for me. No one has ever beaten them for value. I dont go online for quotes anymore, I call into the office and look them in the eye and get the deal done. They can be very flexible when you are sitting opposite them

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭ Gorteen

Am I correct in assuming a 20 year old car 'qualifies' for classic car insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭ Sir Galahad

Some do. I’ve a twenty year old Golf convertible. Carole Nash said in December that they would cover it in January. They actually rang me to give me a quote, then said the re insurer had changed. They suggested Campions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭ maestroamado

FBD but i think it may be 25 years... a phone call will tell you...

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ ccmp

It's 20 but certain cars only. It may be 25 if that's the only car but they definitely will add a 2002 to a policy. In general they don't like the jap stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ w124man

It will depend on the car but generally with AXA (for me) its 21 years. However, for some, 25 years is the break point. I did have my SL insured on the classic policy while it was 19 years old but it was only on a 'laid up, fire and theft' arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭ Gorteen

Tried all the companies who provide insurance cover for classic cars, Carole Nash, Axa, Ireland First. There's a distinct reluctance to insure my Celica, despite my unblemished record of 40 years safe driving!!! Eventually, FBD agreed to insure me. Happy days. Thanks to everyone for your advice

Advertisement