Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah I've seen this happen a lot. A fresh car sitting at a non-franchised dealer often struggles to get moved on. The dealer can't offer the VW Bank finance, a customer looking for a Cupra is not likely to rock up to an Opel dealers... their sales staff aren't really pushing it / not interested in it as its not one of "theirs"...

If they did, they moved it back to the grille for the Mk 4 Leon.

Yep, can see it now that I'm on a computer rather than my phone. It's a UK spec car, but not an import, no Irish Cupras could be specced with ACC as it wasn't available as an option. That's also a '19 model car dressed up as a '20 as the new Mk 4 was out since Feb 20 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

That Cupra has ACC, you can see the cruise control stalk under the indicator stalk, a rare option on the Irish spec. As far as I know basic cruise control would be on the steering wheel.

Not a bad price considering the state of the market, the Cupra was also close to GTI prices in the last year or so they weren't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Your man I spoke to said if you push the stalk in or out it shows the distance to the vehicle in front so it must have it.

His offer on my car left a lot to be desired so he’s trying to improve on it. I may just keep mine and join the electric brigade in a few years. Fancied one last petrol but maybe it wasn’t meant to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just out of curiosity what car do you currently own?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very unlikely a main dealer would retail an 11 year old car on their forecourt so they probably put to their trade contacts to make offers on it.

Well aware of that. Everybody I’ve priced it with has been selling to trade so have a good idea what’s going on. I’m not looking for anything even close to the price they are on DoneDeal as I know that’s not realistic for trade. If selling privately I would take under 7k right now which is a lot less than anything comparable on dd in the last months. I was looking to take considerably less than that for a trade in so I don’t think I’m being unreasonable.

3k is not going to cut it all. Lowest price I’ve got on it and used prices have gone up greatly in that time regardless of the car being a year older in a month. No way am I letting it go for that and if that’s the way the market has gone with this model (no way is this the case, I’ve been watching them online) I’ll just keep it.

I'd agree, what you get offered for it from the trade vultures will be a joke. You would certainly get more for it on donedeal but you then have to deal with the "what's your best price" or the don't bother showing up for a viewing merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Sell private

Sell private, cash buyer would get a few more quid off the price of that Cupra too I imagine.

• Advertisement

Agree.

An 11 year old Lexus is of no interest to a VAG main dealer. Cut put the middle man and sell it yourself. You could even try approaching the smaller traders / dealers. There should be a reasonable market for that privately and you’ll be in a strong position then buying straight.

It's hard to get any decent discount on a used car these days especially on the fun stuff unless it's seriously overpriced. Dealers seem to be playing hardball on their prices due to supply v demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just saw a Mk7 TDI with 19" Estoril wheels. Of all the wheels they're probably the worst offender for how low profile and open they are only for a tiny set of discs to be behind them. Just don't see the appeal of having large aggressive wheels when the car clearly doesn't match. 19s in particular just look silly on the standard cars.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Rare Golf R estate:

Wouldn't be gone on the black wheels myself. 35k for a 7 year old example though?

Jap import so down on power in comparison to euro cars, replica wheels with crap tyres, was for sale privately for €30k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Lads, just posting this here in case it's a known issue or someone might know a fix. The front windows on my wife's 2015 mk vii golf are not opening, or if they do open, it only happens if she restarts the engine and tries again. She contacted VW and they are charging €150 just to run a diagnostic check. Is this a known issue on the mk vii?

Post edited by Wailin on

I don’t think it’s a known issue tbh. Only thing that rings a bell is that sometimes the one-shot lowering stops working, whereby you can open/close the window with one long push of the button. The fix for that is to “reset” the memory by closing them and holding the button up a few seconds after close. Might be worth a shot, see does it sort it out.

Cheers Joe. I did a Google search and actually found a number of cases were it appears to be common enough. I've heard of the issue with the one touch and that can be reset but this is different. It seems to be a problem with the master switch and is an easy fix apparently by replacing the window switch. €30 for the part and about 20min to do. I'll try the reset first anyway just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MoJoCaine

Volkswagen to upgrade Golf infotainment with new software and hardware

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/volkswagen-upgrade-golf-infotainment-new-software-and-hardware

This has to be peak madness. €52.5k for a car that will be considered 2 years old in a couple of weeks.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-r-2-0tsi-d7a-5dr-4m-300hp/29938298

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

🤯 it is very nice but my word that is strong money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I suppose the argument now is that a new one is over 70k so that’s 20 grand cheaper?

Wow, some mark up on that! What would that have cost new, 55k?

With the spec on it, probably a little more than that but surely no more than 57-58k when new. That car was only sold out of a dealers in Galway last May, so the latest owner didn’t keep it very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Cetera

Badly needed. The bugs are beginning to grate on me. The most infuriating one is the ACC detecting a car on the inside lane of a motorway and slows down. So, I can’t overtake on the motorway using ACC (not always, but it has happened on multiple occasions); even with lane and side assist disabled! 🙄

And then the CarPlay is very buggy, and the wireless charging is just not useable (though I think VW blame Apple for that).

The car is superb but the software is just rubbish.

I’ll report these to the dealer but not sure they’ll be able to do anything.

Strange, I really have had no bugs of note, touch wood. Some initial difficulty getting the primary user setup and I do find it a bit laggy on startup (when entering the S-PIN) but other than that… nothing. Definitely not as bad as the software running boards.ie….

I had some CarPlay niggles too early on but I think it was on the phone side. I updated the iOS to the latest and rebooted it a couple of times and it’s been fine since.

I’d really recommend getting your hands on an OBDEleven device. I’ve made a few small tweaks, the most important one being to get Lane assist to remember I switched it off! So I don’t have to turn it off on every restart anymore. I also managed to enable the “R” virtual dash setup. Looks kinda cool 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Cetera

Thanks Joe. I’ll checked out that OBDEleven device.

I might just have been one of the unlucky ones. Hopefully the new software update will sort things out. But I’m going to mention the ACC bug to the dealer as it has the potential to be dangerous.

I’ve tried using the ACC several times and I’ve not experienced that overtaking issue either. The only thing that irritates me is lane assist. It’s just horrible for the most part so I’m happy to have that pretty much permanently off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 captainchaos

I switch off the ACC every time I use the car at this stage!

• Advertisement

Lane assist you mean? ACC is never on unless you switch it on. Until I saw this post I’d forgotten my car has lane assist 😄 I’ve never switched it on since I disabled the “on at every restart”. Thank goodness for OBDeleven.

Advertisement