Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mushrooms on round bales

Options
  • 07-01-2022 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have noticed some silage bales with mushrooms growing on them. We i open the bale the area when the mushroom was i all gone off. What is causing this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Plastic was punctured in that area by bale stacker/handler or vermin attacked bales no doubt, air got in and bacteria started to work. Be more cautious with stacking bales next year and keep cats and birds off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We had one I opened last week. Probably half barrow load of bad silage inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Could be several issues

not enough plastic on the bales

Poorly packed bales

Course fodder under the plastic which punctures it

Wet silage with a lot of muck and dirt mixed in

Damage to the bales when stacking them

Damage to the plastic caused by incorrect tension on the bale wrapper

Poor quality plastic

Vermin and wildlife walking on or pecking at the bales

Bales gone too old :- over 18 months they tend to rot

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Silage was made this year in dry weather. There is a bit of weed in the land im baling but should have that under control this year. My thinking is not enough plastic on the bales. I usually say to the contractor to put extra wrap on the bales but i must have forgot to tell him or he didn't bother to do so

Advertisement