Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should unplug the battery

Options
  • 07-01-2022 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I have 14*330 PV panels installed, with Solis 5kw inverter and 4kw battery BYD.

All is working well but I'm one of those fortunate who still have old meter which turns back. In that case, would it make sense to just unplug the battery to save it performance until we get the smart meter forced on us?

I have a plug in hybrid so i usually use more then produce anyway.

If yes - anyone would be able to guide me through this process?

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭poker--addict

off topic, how do i know if my meter would turn back or not?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭borus22222

It's old black one and when producing more then i can use disc is turing back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

it looks like this! This was my old meter that went in reverse.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

There's a "cog and ratchet" symbol on slightly newer meters like that (non digital) that don't go back.

Also to answer op, charge your battery to 60-70% and just turn off the isolator to the battery. But yeah you're right, you've a perfect battery in the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Before turning the isolator change on Solis to no battery otherwise you will get errors. The procedure is somewhere in the forum as someone already asked about this not long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

You can see the cog and ratchet on my one actually - above the black arrow. I took a video when i first installed... it did go backwards - but maybe it didnt go back much to be honest. It was only October and i was still filling battery mostly - only rarely giving back to the grid.

I swapped for a DN meter as soon as i could to take advantage of night rate charging.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Oh, yeah thought that's what the cog and ratchet meant!.

Hi, thank you for your advice. Searched through the forum for that procedure but couldn't find it. Any chance you can advise on how to :

1. Charge the battery to 60-70%
    2. Unplug the battery and required procedure on the inverter itselft

I'm a structural engineer - can offer some structural advice in return.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

1. Set SOC to 60%(can ignore this if you eyeball when it reaches 60% and disable battery:

Advanced settings>0010>storage energy set>storage mode select>backup>on>set soc 60%

2. Charge the battery:

Advanced settings>0010>storage energy set>storage mode select>sefl use>on>charging from grid>allow

Advanced settings>0010>storage energy set>storage mode select>sefl use>on>time of use>

Optimal income: run

Charge limit: 40A

Dicharge limit: 0A

Set charge time when you want to charge it. Make it so total time is 1hour. Depending on o your current Soc stat it shoul bring it above 50%.

3. Disable the battery.

Once the battery is charged you can disable it. Now if for some reason it gets fully charged then let it sit and drop to 50-60%(if you did step 1 you can leave it and it should not drop below 60%)

Advanced settings>0010>storage energy set>battery select>change to 'no battery'(make a note of the setting that is has before changing as you will need to reverse it)

Advanced settings>0010>storage energy set>storage mode select>sefl use>on>time of use>

Optimal income: stop

If all went well you should no longer see the battery in the main screen.

Power off the battery. If all is ok you should not get any alarms when you do that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement