Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭PolicemanFox

It is possible. It was done.

My reading of it is that it is a fingerprint which could be matched to someone but obviously didn't match Bailey.

But that doesn't matter. Why are people banging on about half faded memories of scratches, bullshit and rumors of watches, wine bottles and crap. All that is prejudiced anyway.

Instead we have an actual DNA profile. So what if it's incomplete then go back and take another sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It demands an explanation. If the investigation team cannot stand over the integrity of their evidence it may make it practically impossible to ever successfully prosecute someone for the murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

Who did it, Ian Bailey must be some poker player if he did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭flopisit

People make way too much of the DNA found on Sophie's boot (in 2008, I think).

1. For how many years before the murder was Sophie wearing those boots? How many people came in contact with those boots during that time?
    2. Were they even her boots to begin with or did she borrow them from someone? Or did anyone else wear them during that time?
    3. The forensic scientist who examined the boots in 2008 noted that the bag they were in was open. It is well known within the forensic world that there is a big problem with items in storage getting contaminated. People handle the outside of the bags and then, when the bags are opened, this can contaminate the item inside the bag.
    4. Consider all the people who had contact with those boots before the murder vs the killer who may have had contact with those boots for 5 minutes one night. The killer is the LEAST likely donor of this DNA. Everyone else in her life prior to the murder and everyone who came in contact with the body after the murder is a MORE likely donor.
    5. DNA does not survive well on its own if it is not preserved. It degrades very rapidly. However, it can survive for a long time in a stain on material though.
    6. Even if you found Ian Bailey's DNA on that boot (just for example), he would immediately say that he worked in that area for Alfie and remembers injuring himself at the time and that's where the DNA came from. Alternatively, he would say, I'm the guy who broke into Sophie's cottage to take a bath that one time in 1993 and when I did I masturbated on her boot, but I am not the killer and you can't prove it.

• Advertisement

I believe I found the reason for the delay in having a pathologist available to examine Sophie on the 23rd.... if anyone is interested.

Based on what was reported in the news in the months before the murder.

In 1996, there was the State Pathologist (Harbison) and also a deputy State Pathologist. The deputy, Dr. Margaret Bolster, a woman, "resigned in protest over her work conditions" in May 1996, a few months before the murder. She was the only other person in Ireland at the time who was qualified for the job. She said she might consider taking the job again if she could work out of Cork as she did not want to relocate to Dublin. The government told her, no, it's a Dublin-based job. So that meant they had to look to bring in someone from abroad to fill the job and the government dragged its feet on this.

So there was always meant to be 2 State pathologists to cover all the cases in Ireland and there was, except for that period in 1996.

Post edited by flopisit on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭tibruit

If it isn`t blood it`s irrelevant. That DNA could be matched to anybody who had ever come into contact with Sophie when she was wearing the boots, including those who dealt with the body after her death.

All of that is irrelevant and wrong. A male sample of DNA found on the body. The killer is the MOST likely contributor. All the others would have been very cautious and wearing gloves.

But anyway, you say it's contamination - so prove it! The onus is on the prosecution, (if Bailey is ever charged...)

And if you can't prove it, then it casts doubt over all the fluffy, hazy, faded memories, timing dependent, he said/she said crap. The only DNA sample found doesn't match Bailey and he is de jure innocent.

But more than this it has the potential to unlock the case, find the real killer! But no, you prefer to dismiss it, it doesn't match Bailey so it must be contamination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Dr Bolster, I believe she was based in Cork university hospital but lived in Clonmel.

Apply some logic to this: If you and I were murdered tomorrow, (God forbid) whose DNA would they find on us? Only the DNA of the killer? Or the DNA of people close to us as well?

Your shirt may have only been washed a few days ago at most. Your pants, maybe longer. Your boots.... how long ago were they washed? Probably never. What DNA might be found on your boots, apart from that of the killer?

Foreign DNA is regularly found on murder victims. In order to convict, you have to show that it didn't get there in another way. For example, in rape/murders, it is very common for the police to question the suspect and get him to deny that he ever had sex with the victim. That way, when the prosecute, they can say how did your semen end up in the victim when you never had sex with her.

• Advertisement

Whether it is blood or not, it is critical evidence that demands an explanation. It either links the murderer to Sophie or, if unexplained, casts a reasonable doubt in a case against any accused person as there would be evidence linking some other unknown person to Sophie and to the murder scene.

So bodily fluids other than blood don't count? Nonsense. "A whitish substance", a "substance"

You want it to be contamination, you believe it to be contamination, I know, I get it.

But you have to prove it.

Now I would suggest you open your mind a bit further to the possibility that the man (or woman) who was undoubtedly the most careless person to touch the body was in fact the insanely violent culprit.

Baby steps though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭Deeec

This comment may be relevant or irrelevant - it's just something I thought of over Christmas - just a general observation.

For me the week up to Christmas day is always crazy busy. I'm completely out of routine - I'm running here,there and everywhere.

The week after Christmas up to new year is much quieter but every day is kind of the same. It's hard to even remember what day of the week it is when I'm not working - I had to check several times last week what day it was. The point I'm trying to make is Christmas is a time of year that it's hard to look back and remember your movements reliably. If you asked me what day I went for a long walk last week - I can't actually recall what day it was - it could be Monday or it could have been Tuesday or even Wednesday. Likewise I can't remember what day I done the Christmas shop before Christmas. It is easy to mix up the days.

The reliability of all parties involved in recalling movements and events in this case is questionable due to the craziness of Christmas - it's much easier to recall at other times of year as most people have a routine.

Maybe this is just me though. Thought I would just throw it into the conversation.

That would only work if you are assuming she bought the boots new on the day she was murdered.

And also assuming nobody touched them between 1996 and 2008.

Here is something interesting: You probably remember the Jonbenet Ramsey murder (probably America's most famous unsolved case). You hear about a faint DNA sample found on her underwear, but you never hear about her parents' DNA being found on her. Why? Because it's not relevant. Her parents' DNA was undoubtedly all over her, but that's to be expected. The foreign DNA found on her could have come from anywhere... The person who packed her underwear at the factory, the salesperson in the shop where it was sold, the people at the party she attended on the night she was murdered.... the list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭tibruit

Nah...you`ve thrown logic out the window now and you are sounding like someone else I know. The way some people carry on around here is just ridiculous.

That's true. There's actually a lot that can be said about Christmas and routines when it comes to murder investigations... But the only addition I would make is that when you are in your routine, it can be hard to remember which day something happened, as you do the same thing every day, but around the holidays, your routine varies, so the things you do can be a lot more memorable.

The murder happened on Dec 23rd and Bailey received a visit from the gardai and filled out his questionnaire on Dec 28th.

His movements would have been memorable to him because the next day, he got up and was suddenly a journalist again and reporting on a murder down the road from him and all his energy was now devoted to this. His life drastically changed that day. So it's as simple as saying, "What did you do on that last night you went to the pub, Ian?"

Eh mostly. He was asking for a deputy for years. He had a deputy of sorts in Margaret Bolster. She wasn't a deputy though, she was a locum, which meant she took only over when he went on a planned vacation.

Harbison was run ragged all over the country. He was on a unique contract, which, according to him, meant he couldn't retire early.

From my research, what happened was that he wasn't contacted until mid to late afternoon (4-5pm) and would not have gotten to the crime scene until well after midnight. He took a decision that at that stage it wasn't going to make any difference and that the body should be moved to the Regional (now CUH) where he would perform the autopsy. The decision was taken locally to leave the body in situ. In fact it is best practice for the pathologist to see the body in situ, but there are other concerns.

In essence the fault belongs to the State who gave insufficient funding to pay for another pathologist. It's crazy, not just because of the need for a deputy. They should have sent an air corps helicopter out to his home on the 23rd and simply flown him directly to the scene.

Also the focus on Harbison is misguided. Determining time of death from body temperature is controversial. If he had been there 12 hours earlier, arguably it would not have made any difference to the quality of his evidence.

He worked so many famous cases, Fr Niall Molloy, Kerry Babies etc. But he worked himself more or less to death. His last case was the death of Brian Murphys outside Annabel's nightclub. By the time the appeal came he was suffering from dementia and was unable to testify.

For all the people who can be accused of screwing up this case, I think John Harbison deserves the least criticism.

Post edited by PolicemanFox on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭Deeec

Thats true aswell - I have no doubt Bailey remembers that day very well for the reasons you have mentioned in that it was an unusual day for him - whether hes telling the truth or not we just dont know. For everyone else involved though I think their memory of the lead up to the murder and the days after may be muddled and gets more confused as time goes on.

Come on, that comment is unworthy of you!

My logic is impeccable. It simply doesn't matter whether it is blood or not. There are plenty of other bodily fluids. Semen has a lot more DNA than blood FYI.

• Advertisement

If I recall correctly the fact that the only state pathologist's birthday was 23rd December was also relevant to him not travelling from Dublin to West Cork until the next day.

Blather!

It wasn't a shop assistant! Who is being illogical now?

Allow me to quote Bungee and Forde:

"In 2011 a French forensic scientist travelled to West Cork, at the invitation of An Garda Siochana, to take fresh samples from objects recovered from the crime scene... She took samples back to France and ran tests. All the blood tests showed only a female DNA profile, just as all the other UK and Irish tests had done over the years.

But on a single sample - a swab of a whitish trace near the laces on Sophie’s left boot, they found something else. The DNA profile of an unknown male."

So it wasn't her parents DNA it wasn't shop assistant, it was all her DNA, as we would expect given that her blood was everywhere. (Note therefore the DNA survived and did not degrade by 2011)

Except for "the DNA profile of an unknown male"

Note for those who are slow on the uptake or hazy on details this is a "DNA PROFILE"

This means it can be checked against anyone. We can be 100% sure it didn't match Bailey.

Yes maybe, he had a birthday party. Maybe he had some drinks on his birthday. So what, he was six, seven hours away and he didn't have to drive. This is the same irrelevant crap that keeps coming up.

Since you prefer not to engage in the substance of the argument, it's clear you have thrown in the towel. Goodnight.

If the "DNA profile of an unknown male" didn't match Ian Bailey it needs an explanation as it is the only thing that links Sophie and the scene to someone, potentially her murderer.

If the DNA profile had matched with Ian Bailey it would have been highly significant as he claims to never have met Sophie close enough to be likely to be able to provide an innocent explanation. The lack of a match doesn't exclude Ian Bailey but one doesn't have to prove one's innocence.

Similarly if the DNA profile matched someone who could provide a plausible innocent explanation it doesn't necessarily eliminate them as a suspect but it does reduce its evidential value.

The boots look scuffed and like there may be light grey dust or dried mud on them. Whether the DNA sample was found above or below any polish, dust, dried mud or partially worn away might help determine whether it was recent or not.

There is no certainty that it belongs to the murderer but without a match, the foreign DNA found creates the reasonable doubt that the murder was carried out by an, as yet, unidentified male.

It is relevant to the delay as are the facts that he wasn't contacted until late afternoon (4 - 5 pm) so it would have been at least 11pm by the time he could get there, even with a Garda driver. It would have been the morning of the 24th either way before any post mortem began.

His request for the body to be moved to CUH mortuary was overridden locally, adding further to the delay the following morning.

Once a certain time had passed it would have been difficult to determine the time of death with any great accuracy anyway. The death certificate gave the time and date of death as the 22nd or 23rd of December 1996.

Shoe DNA from West Cork

https://vocaroo.com/14j6GkKTHKwv

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kerry_man15

It would have been clear to the Gardai quite early (around 11am) that there was a murder so why wasn't Dr. Harbison informed he'd be needed soon after this? I doubt he was out drinking and celebrating his birthday that early. Birthday or not he should have been on his way as soon as possible. If a car journey was deemed too long there are other options as people have stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ironically, Sophie flew from Dublin to Cork in 35 minutes. Her flight stopped in Dublin for disembark only and then went on to Cork. (of course that option wasn't open to Dr. Harbison) I had to explain this to someone who wasn't living in Ireland in the 90s and they were shocked how long it used to take to get from Dublin to Cork.

• Advertisement

Exactly, yes. I don't think he was informed until the afternoon.

Btw he flew not drove, when he eventually got there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement