Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 2021 highlights

Options
  • 06-01-2022 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭

Even though it was a much shortened year what were you highlights for the year?

2021 was my best year for links golf yet:

I played portrush, portstewart, ballyliffen casheen, enniscrone, the european, carne, portmarnock links, royal dublin, st annes, seapoint, baltray

(Oddly enough it's a number of years now since I played corballis and starting to miss it!)

My best game of the year (maybe ever) was on Portmarnock Links where I shot 76 managing 5 birdies (along with a silly lost ball double on the last hole)

My highlight though was playing druids glen, portstewart, ballyliffen and portrush in a single week.

I also really enjoyed mixed foursomes interclub comp earlier in Summer (even if I played poorly)

Another highlight is that I got two lessons during the year to work on posture and a predominant-heel-strike-with-irons (I can't say the actual word) and feel they've helped me. I always hated the idea of lessons -so this is actually a big shift in attitude from me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great list of courses RoadRunner.

I guess the highlights for me were the few trips I got to play golf at top courses - Sligo (Enniscrone and Rosses) and was blown away by Portrush - probably now number 1, yes it is. A few memorable days in Druids Glen and the European Club.

I entered into 2021 , with the highest handicap I have had in a good 5 years and was heading for a handicap of 7 at one point - and was poor off that. I just lost a bit of everything in my game. I was nowhere near being able to break 80.

It seems covid was bad for my game and at times (as we all did) - the head was gone.

At one point - I just went , ok I'm not happy being this bad at golf and I'm not sure I can enjoy it being this bad. I took a few lessons and started working on my game. Golf is not easy for me , and I need to put in serious hours to get a return.

I slowly turned it around , got back to 5, and for example, today, went out in tough winter conditions from tough tees and was 2 over for 12 holes - (with a ball in water) - It was a lovely sign that the work had paid off.

Don't get me wrong - overall, still a bad year , but it was nice to be tested and fight back and turn it around.

Loads more work to go - but this game is so hard.

Advertisement