Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car recommendations (likely Petrol Hybrid)

Options
  • 06-01-2022 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭

Car recommendations (likely Petrol Hybrid)

Looking at changing from a 2010 Ford Focus Diesel, after a LONG list of issues the latest one has made my mind up to change (basically I don’t drive it hard or long enough or both and DPF gives trouble so must clear error and/or drive the B out of it)

· Petrol (obviously) but then I’m thinking petrol hybrid so one foot in the future?

· Want to get automatic and whatever other bells and whistles I can get (USB connection in radio a MUST)

· Mostly in around Dublin driving, hence the auto/hybrid, most big one is Navan once a week and then whatever holidays (so you can see why diesel is acting up)

· 5 door hatchback, normal size or whatever you call it (like the corolla has a Luna version)

· Normal sized boot, I think the ones I seen most from Toyota and Honda had tiny boots

· Not sure on budget as I’m not sure what the ford will bring traded in (seen €3-4K on average) so maybe say €7k

· Year again on budget I’m guessing be lucky to get a 2012 or 131/2

Can travel within reason (don’t want to have to go hours from Dublin to be looking or to be told be ready in x weeks and go down again) from Blanch

Thanks for any help (the last time I asked you help herself get one, which she still has)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I can tell you now that you won't get much in the way of a hybrid for the money you want to spend along with your Focus. Your Focus is probably worth about 2k max (less if it has issues) while even a 2012/2013 hybrid like an Auris are probably fetching above 10k unless it has mega mileage or is a shed. Hybrids are in vogue and as such they are expensive even at that age.

The only hybrid I could possibly see within your price range is the Honda Insight:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2970883

Most Insights are Japanese imports with the odd UK import about. Tend to be generally cheaper than the equivalent Toyota Prius and as popular with taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Thanks for suggestion and information, I think I even looked at that before

Petrol hybrid is an idea, not the end of the world if I ended up just at petrol

Any issues with the car are fixed, only one now is its the wrong fuel type for how much or more little I drive

Will be hard enough to find a mid size automatic petrol car for reasonable money.

Any recommendations if I give up on hybrid and auto's?

• Advertisement

That's a Toyota Aqua rather than Prius. The Aqua is a Japanese market car and more similar in size to a Yaris. They are also very easy to be stolen too apparently.

If you can go manual then the likes of a petrol Hyundai i30, Kia Ceed and Mazda3 come into the picture.

When you zoom in you see is an aqua yeah, seen them before and as your said are small

Herself has a kia ceed, don't like the gearing as very clunky and rattles at normal speeds and the engine goes mad on motorway (like you'd need another gear)

Advertisement