Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long to wait until new person makes an impact?

Options
  • 04-01-2022 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A question for all in a work capacity.

I have hired someone at a senior level , Junior Director, about 8 weeks back.

I was at a meeting today where I was looking at some areas they are working on and am looking at goals that are achieved, or not.

Im conscious that coming into Christmas we had a lot up in the air, but is it unreasonable to think that by week 8 end there should be some impact made or changes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

That depends on whether you have either said or implied that they are to make changes or impacts quickly - a lot of times when a senior person is implemented they are expected to analyse the business and processes and once they have a handle on how its being done to then offer up changes etc and discuss these prior to implementation. A lot of businesses don't want to rock the boat but bit by bit implement ideas and changes with a focus on the end picture in mind. If you wish for changes more quickly then this should of been stated to the new person - nobody can read minds. Now if this has been already said and inferred clearly then that is different but 8 weeks is only 2 months, how would they know your business by then don't mind even staff and their levels of competence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I would give it 4-6 months. 8 weeks is too early even at senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Hi,

To be fair, I didnt think much of it myself, was more question.

I would usually operate a 3-6 month window of smaller level changes with 9-12 months for significant changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

From experience of looking from below, i.e. not senior management but one of the plebs, it becomes apparent quickly enough to underlings if senior managers are spoofers or actually capable.

And I am talking about a couple of months.

The issue in my experience is that the senior management that appointed the said new managers are often unwilling to admit they have fooked up in their appointment. They persevere in the hope that someone finds their feet or things turn around.

Now of course I am speaking as one of the plebs, but n my experience the plebs can most often spot a spoofer a mile off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

I'm going to be blunt here and ask where your induction plan is and where the person is on this. The time thing is a distraction. Reading between the lines here it almost looks like that person is sent out to sink or swim? Unless they are brought in to solve a crisis the first two months are induction. Hard to say without industry etc. But I'd be far far more concerned that you have not mentioned where they are on their induction plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Typically when I join a company and I have goals of making big changes, they start being implemented around month three and there are obvious results around month six.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You are managing senior managers, and asking for advice about the basics on boards.ie?

#thingsThatDidntHappen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah come on they didn't do it on After Hours so give them some credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Does seem strange I would agree.....But....

There is a chance, however small, that the OP is the business owner, and maybe comes from a more technical background and this is the reason why he hires managers to run the business, professionally, as he himself may not have the background and/or skills to do so.......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Entrepreneur and Business Management forum would be a better place than.

Few posters here have management awareness.

(Though ya, After Hours answers would be good craic ...)

• Advertisement

Hi,

No, its just a different skillset that I would have Vs. this new person.

Reason I ask is what a general thought on it was, more have people moved to jobs and what the experience/ Expectation was. Each area very different as is each industry. Was just looking for general thoughts also, bot looking to business plan here or anything.

Thanks for that. Didnt know such a forum was there.

And yes, thought about after hours for the craic also.

Would expect a lot of answers around the three fiddy days mark mind you :)

Hi,

Basics I would imagine are induction, meetings, goals, etc.

I was looking at experiences other may have had. Some in companies are expected to make immediate mark, others slow burners, other dependent on role. Its more curious about what others may have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nothing worse than a new guy that comes in and starts making changes without really understanding the existing company culture and why things are the way they are in the first place.

Seen it a million times, some lad aghast at us doing something, proclaims that they did it differently in his old job and he wants to change it, lots of upheaval and then 6 months later we are back doing it the old way anyway, because there were good reasons for doing it that way in the first place.

A smart manager knows that they need to take stock and learn all the hidden elements before making changes, only an idiot marches in and thinks that he is going to revolutionise the place overnight. Add in the christmas period and I would say 8 weeks is far too early to be seeing any meaningful changes.

If you want to gauge his progress them look for evidence that he understands your business and is starting to contribute to daily operations. Looking for "changes" is the wrong metric at this stage.

Hi,

Honestly this is similar mindset that I would have. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.

And yes, i an old job I was that idiot, came in, changes in 4 weeks, thought I was great. 70% backfired within 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

My thoughts exactly when reading @OMM 0000 post above yours. Comes steaming in with changes implelemented in just three months. Three months is enough time to analyze, research, develop any POCs, communicate to staff/bring staff along, address staff concerns, plan and implement?

Or worse is the new Director/Executive that knows themselves they won't be around after 5 years in the company. Makes sweeping changes, boasts about massive cost savings and rides off into the sunset on Year 5 leaving absolute chaos behind.

Post edited by salonfire on

Of course, @salonfire comes along and makes a fool of himself.

I said they start being implemented at month three and we start seeing results around month six. I didn't say they are implemented by month three.

And predictably you'll now double down and continue lying. Go on, go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How long is a piece of string question really. When you hire someone into a position, you hire them in there for a purpose, which means you should have a clear list of things that you expect of them.

But depending on the role, in the first 8 weeks that could be as little as "get familiar with your department and team and become part of their flow with minimal disruption", or it could be, "Build out the framework of an entirely new function and make your existence known across the organisation".

If you hire a senior manager, I would presume their primary function is people management and delegation of tasks, in which case I would expect that the best thing they can do is look like they've done nothing at all. If they've managed to disrupt or upset the people they're managing, or cause productivity to drop, then that's maybe worth looking at. But if they've managed in 8 weeks to insert themselves into the organisation and keep their staff happy and their workload humming along as good as it was before they joined, then they're doing just fine.

Oh dear. Someone doesn't understand what implement means.

That's what I said. You put the changes into effect in three months. In other words from month four, the new ways applies. Seems kind of quick to me is all I'm saying.

We know you are successful in Japan and we know how discouraging and dismissive you can be of people in upskilling.

We also know the kind of society and work culture in Japan. Maybe your style of management works in that sort of place.

Post edited by salonfire on

I knew you'd double down by lying.

Seriously, what's wrong with you?

Are you OK?

• Advertisement

I'm not lying. I'm expressing the opinion that to have a full grasp of existing staff, existing work flows and existing systems, and be in a position to know what changes needs to be applied three months in is far fetched.

I hope you don't start implementing without having understanding of the existing and without knowing what changes to make and why you're making those changes.

Your opinion is worthless, as you prove on boards over and over.

It is very clear your career is not going well, so please stop with the dumb advice.

I'll try once again to block you, but as you know this website doesn't work properly since the move.

EDIT: Nope, still can't block you.

My career is going extremely well, thanks. One of my strongest aptitudes is that I am willing to call people out and not stand for anyone riding roughshod over others, especially senior staff being dismissive of juniors. I absolutely do not tolerate that.

Again, your style of mangemernt might work well in a place where people work themselves to the point of death - often suicide (they have a word for it, "karoshi").

But I certainly could not put up with that kind of management.

Jesus lads, dont need to have a go at each other. Both points are actually very valid, so your on the same side!

Id agree both @salonfire and @OMM 0000 . Changes can be simple tweaks of running to make smoother, or can be the longer game. I agree, think within 2-4 months a new person at senior level is really only finding the dynamics, who works well, who is lazy, the specifics of the role etc.

I did afterwards sit down to do a dive into what was working well, what's not working etc. Some good ideas came from this and one or two needed to build more, but overall coming along nicely.

Thanks to all for the experience shared, I think a point above about how long is a piece of string rings true

Advertisement